Anybody around Fayetteville, NC area know how to weld?

jmayps

Looking for someone who would be a willing to teach a new wayalifer how to weld. Id be willing to pay in cash or beer. I do not have any equipment yet and am looking to get my own setup sometime in the near future once I learn. Planning on welding c-gussets on my D30 and EVO Rock sliders but would prefer to do it myself once I learn. I appreciate the help gents!

rogerk93

If you can't find anyone to teach you. Your best bet is to buy a welder and practice on some scrap metal or buy strips of steal and just start welding them together. That's what I recently did since I don't know anyone around me who welds.

jmayps

Any recommendations on a setup? I know absolutely nothing about what I would need? I'll take a look for classes, however my work schedule really limits me to the weekend.

jmayps

Rogerk93,what all did you get to start out with? Pretty easy to figure out? I think just diving in, buying a setup and figuring it out as I go might be the best bet if I can't find someone with experience.

HardRock87

Rogerk93,what all did you get to start out with? Pretty easy to figure out? I think just diving in, buying a setup and figuring it out as I go might be the best bet if I can't find someone with experience.

I wouldn't suggest just diving in. I mine you have to know the right mixture of gases to mix before igniting the flame or else you risk blowing yourself up.

rogerk93

Any recommendations on a setup? I know absolutely nothing about what I would need? I'll take a look for classes, however my work schedule really limits me to the weekend.

I bought the Lincoln electric from home depot for $700 it is a good starter welder In my opinion as it has a chart on how to set your wire feed speed and power gauge. It also a few rolls of wire one for MIG and a flux core roll you just have to buy gloves and a helmet

epetry

I'm from the Raleigh area and I have a Miller welder. I'm not expert but I can weld. I welded on my EVO gussets on my 30 at my house. I'm sure I can give you a hand welding yours on.

jmayps

I'm from the Raleigh area and I have a Miller welder. I'm not expert but I can weld. I welded on my EVO gussets on my 30 at my house. I'm sure I can give you a hand welding yours on.

That would be awesome! It would definitely give me an idea of what I'll need and how to do it. I'm out in southern pines and would be able to go to Raleigh on a weekend.

Heavyhaul07

Get a decent 110 welder Miller or Lincoln. Don't cheap out on a helmet. Get a good one. I like my Lincoln helmet has a bigger viewing window than millers did when I purchased it. Purchase your own bottle for gas. I run mig mix for all my welds. Get a pair of cloves. Don't have to be super heavy duty just a good pair of leather gloves Just be aware that the metal is hot after welding it use a pair of pliers or vice grips to grab the hot piece not you gloved hand. You want to be able able to move with your gloves on. The only time I use heavy gloves is if I got to weld next to a previous weld that is still hot. I prefer Miller over Lincoln for mig welder's. A good 110 welder will weld anything you need for your jeep and some. I'd recomend using .023 or .030 solid core wire with mig mix gas. It is an investment. Become friends with the counter guys at your local welding supply co they have a wealth of knowledge and will help out.

You'll know you have your welder set up right for wire speed and heat when your welding and it sounds like bacon frying.

jmayps

Awesome! I appreciate the info, sounds like something I'll be giving hints to my wife for my upcoming birthday. If you don't mind me asking what did your whole setup cost you?

Heavyhaul07

I got mine cheap. One of my neibor's was going through some hard times. I bought his Miller 210 with maybe 10 hrs on it. He wanted 500 for it. I gave him 800 for it. I knew what it was worth. The. He gave me his chop saw and torch set up at well for it. He gave me his bottle with it and a bunch of other stuff. I went to go fill the bottle one day and the place I got them filled at was running a special to upsize the bottle for free just the extra cost of the gas. I forget what I paid for the helmet I've got now as I didn't care for the one I got from him. I know I paid around 200 for my helmet. So I've got about 1100 into mine.

I'd look around on Craig's list for one. Just don't cheap out on a helmet. Flash burn sucks.

Top Bottom