Electrical issues! What is going on?

jmayps

Started having strange electric issues a while back. Initially thought it was the battery and after tightening the nuts connecting the cables on the battery the problem went away...or so I thought. Basically while driving all my gauges will drop to zero, I lose control of my lights, radio turns off, dash lights up and dings, windshield wipers go crazy. It used to only happen after hitting a bump, now it happens all the time.

I took the jeep into the dealership and they told me their policy was to replace the battery if there were electrical issues. Battery replaced and the dealership told me they drove it for 20 miles and no issues. Well, on my drive to VA that weekend it randomly happened again. Any help, advice, info into what is causing this and how to fix it would be greatly appreciated. I'll post a video of it when I get a chance.

WJCO

Meme King
Check charging voltage next time it happens. Should be roughly 13.7 to 14.5 volts. Only other thing I can think of is corrosion or loose connections at the TIPM.

Drdiesel1

Check the voltage supply cable to the TIPM under the hood. It's the main fuse box.
If the feed cable is loose, it can cause this type of issue. The TIPM's are setup with
integrated relays. If one of the ign. relays is failing, you'll need to replace the TIPM :icon_crazy:

jmayps

Yea doing research I was hoping it wasn't the TIPM. I'll check the voltage today and see what the issue is as well as the cables. Thanks for the reply!

Top Bottom