5-Speed Auto W5A580 Transmission temperature

Guascone

Hi guys, yesterday I was climbing up to the Alpes with my JKUR with 5-Speed Auto W5A580 ,3.73 Rear Axle Ratio and 35” tires.
The road start with 8 miles on pavement from 1500 ft to 6500ft the start the offroad (outside temperature 80°f).
On the pavement I used the hi speed gear shifting manually in order to prevent the overheating oh the gearbox.
After few miles from the start, the gearbox oil was at 230°f and it stay still at the same temperature until the offroad begin and I start to use the low gear (4x4) .
Using the low gear, the gearbox oil, start to become a little bit cooler.
It is normal? I worried about the overheating but I don’t know which is the temperature limit…

In my planning there is the regear

Last edited:

Guascone

Thanks for the answare!

No, i didn't see the light on...I was just monitoring the temperature because I don't know the limits before the light come on...

I was also worried because on the pavement I can't use the 2LO...

jeeeep

Hooked
odd none of the manuals i have indicate a normal operating temperature. only thing I could find was it needs to be over 213 for shifting.
would like to find out what temperature triggers the warning light

toyotire

my 14 jkur with 35's and 4.10 etc the evic has never shown the tranny temp higher than 180 or so in 50,000 miles. Lots of off road and lots of long hills in high temps being pulled. Now they do show engine oil temps when put in park for some strange reason. normal temps are 165-170. I would be somewhat concerned if mine shot up to 230 because it has never done that before.

Guascone

Thanks for the answare!
Mine gearbox shot up to 230 just in summer time when I go up to the mountain in road with a very high gradient (10%) and with a lot of curves and I use just the 1 and 2 2hi...

Normally it work on and off road in around 180f...probably the low speed climbing so high could be a worst working condition for the gearbox...in any case I didn't see the warning light...

Last edited:

JeepJeep75

Guascone, you might want to consider adding an aftermarket trans cooler to work in tandem with the factory trans cooler. Shouldn't be to expensive to buy and have installed. The aftermarket coolers seem work really well.

Slingshot

my 14 jkur with 35's and 4.10 etc the evic has never shown the tranny temp higher than 180 or so in 50,000 miles. Lots of off road and lots of long hills in high temps being pulled. Now they do show engine oil temps when put in park for some strange reason. normal temps are 165-170. I would be somewhat concerned if mine shot up to 230 because it has never done that before.
Hi a question if I may?
Just got a 13JKU with auto trans. Can you tell me how to check and or find the transmission temperature. I have evic.
Thank You in advance.

Brute

Hooked
I have a couple NAG1 5 speed trans…they usually run between 150-180 Fahrenheit…if you ran it above 230 for a long period of time, you might want to consider changing it…

GP NOIR

Hooked
Hi guys, yesterday I was climbing up to the Alpes with my JKUR with 5-Speed Auto W5A580 ,3.73 Rear Axle Ratio and 35” tires.
The road start with 8 miles on pavement from 1500 ft to 6500ft the start the offroad (outside temperature 80°f).
On the pavement I used the hi speed gear shifting manually in order to prevent the overheating oh the gearbox.
After few miles from the start, the gearbox oil was at 230°f and it stay still at the same temperature until the offroad begin and I start to use the low gear (4x4) .
Using the low gear, the gearbox oil, start to become a little bit cooler.
It is normal? I worried about the overheating but I don’t know which is the temperature limit…

In my planning there is the regear
Alpes, as in the Alpes in Europe?

Top Bottom