JK Emergency Brake adjustment help

gmanmp

Good Day,

So I spent about 4 hours yesterday trying to adjust the emergency brake. (for reference, its a 2014 JKUR-X/manual). Removed wheels, calipers (had to disconnect rear sway to get to the lower caliper mounting bolts) and lastly removed rotors. Then used a brake spoon to turn the wheel/gear (driver's side turned clockwise and passenger side counterclockwise). I rotated each gear about 8 turns each, just enough that no friction was found when putting back on the rotors on and spinning them. I reassemble everything and the brake still does not work. Even on a slight incline and the brake all the way up will not hold. So do I try it again, and do more turns or take it to the shop for adjustment? Thanks in advance.

Mp

WJCO

Meme King
Good Day,

So I spent about 4 hours yesterday trying to adjust the emergency brake. (for reference, its a 2014 JKUR-X/manual). Removed wheels, calipers (had to disconnect rear sway to get to the lower caliper mounting bolts) and lastly removed rotors. Then used a brake spoon to turn the wheel/gear (driver's side turned clockwise and passenger side counterclockwise). I rotated each gear about 8 turns each, just enough that no friction was found when putting back on the rotors on and spinning them. I reassemble everything and the brake still does not work. Even on a slight incline and the brake all the way up will not hold. So do I try it again, and do more turns or take it to the shop for adjustment? Thanks in advance.

Mp

Welcome to WAL. Make sure your cables are working and aren't rusted. If your cables aren't mechanically actuating the brakes, it doesn't matter how well they are adjusted.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Good Day,

Mp

Unlike the old days of drum brakes, your modern rear disc parking/emergency brake does not self adjust. Here is a write on how to manually adjust:
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write...enance-emergencyparking-hand-brake-adjustment
Oh, almost forgot, welcome to WAL! Stop by the give a wave thread and "give a wave". 🖐🏻

Last edited:
Top Bottom