Are Sector Shaft reinforcement kits worth it ?

steve_r2

Hi all,
Got the dreaded "clunk"from my steering gear box (checked all components underneath and all torqued to spec) most noticeable when turning to the left.
So as it looks to be a new steering box (unless someone can suggest alternative I have not investigated) the question is :
Is it worth getting a sector shaft reinforcement kit at the same time ?
I kind of like the look of the JKS kit but not knowing a great deal about this any recommendations are most grateful.
Thanks
Steve

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You're sure the "clunk" is coming from your steering box and not from a worn out joint? Whatever you're hearing/feeling will not be solved with a sector shaft brace. As far as worth goes, I wouldn't be able to comment on their "worth" but they're far from necessary. They were almost required when running big tires on an old CJ being that the steering box mount was so flimsy and weak and would tear off the frame but on a JK, there's just no need for one. Of all the sector shafts that I have personally seen break, ALL have been rotational and the best thing you can do to help prevent that is to run a ram assist.

WJCO

Meme King
If you can duplicate the problem in the driveway, have someone turn the wheel while you isolate the noise. Doesn't sound like a box problem to me either. Look at your track bar ends for movement too.

brizon85

question for you all while you are on the subject. I had all joints, trackbar, drag link and tie rod replaced recently and I'm still getting a bit of a loose rattle in my steering wheel. Could that be something leading to the steering box that can be tightened? Everything thing from the pitman arm down is new ( except knuckles and axle). I know the jeep won't be perfect or drive like a new sports car, but just wondering if most of y'all's steering is real tight? The rattle is minimal and only happens at low speeds or turning.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
question for you all while you are on the subject. I had all joints, trackbar, drag link and tie rod replaced recently and I'm still getting a bit of a loose rattle in my steering wheel. Could that be something leading to the steering box that can be tightened? Everything thing from the pitman arm down is new ( except knuckles and axle). I know the jeep won't be perfect or drive like a new sports car, but just wondering if most of y'all's steering is real tight? The rattle is minimal and only happens at low speeds or turning.

I think you need to explain what you mean by a "loose rattle in your steering wheel". Is this something you can hear or is it just something you feel like a shimmy in the wheel? If it's the later, you most likely have a wheel out of balance. If you had a loose steering component, you more than likely would get death wobble and I know that's NOT what you have as you did, you'd know it.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I could be mistaken, but the sector shaft brace is used on drop pitman arm and trackbar set ups..

WJCO

Meme King
I could be mistaken, but the sector shaft brace is used on drop pitman arm and trackbar set ups..

I've seen them on a couple of stock applications. Primarily when the box flexes. ZJs were pretty common for this too. Can't say that I've seen them on the JK myself.

EDIT: For offroad applications. On the road stock, most people don't even worry about this kind of stuff, lol.

Last edited:

steve_r2

You're sure the "clunk" is coming from your steering box and not from a worn out joint? Whatever you're hearing/feeling will not be solved with a sector shaft brace. As far as worth goes, I wouldn't be able to comment on their "worth" but they're far from necessary. They were almost required when running big tires on an old CJ being that the steering box mount was so flimsy and weak and would tear off the frame but on a JK, there's just no need for one. Of all the sector shafts that I have personally seen break, ALL have been rotational and the best thing you can do to help prevent that is to run a ram assist.

Thanks for that . I wasn't sure if it would be necessary so one less thing to worry over.
I did get my wife to turn the steering wheel for me to check but as it was 45c outside at the time I didn't spend that long checking.
Another check in order to see if I can pin it down.
Thanks again

brizon85

I think you need to explain what you mean by a "loose rattle in your steering wheel". Is this something you can hear or is it just something you feel like a shimmy in the wheel? If it's the later, you most likely have a wheel out of balance. If you had a loose steering component, you more than likely would get death wobble and I know that's NOT what you have as you did, you'd know it.

it's something I can feel, Wheel balance is the common answer I'm getting thank you :)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
it's something I can feel, Wheel balance is the common answer I'm getting thank you :)

LOL - ok, but is it something you can hear as well? I'm only asking because there is a bushing that hold your steering shaft in place on the firewall that can come loose and that will cause a clunking sound when hitting bumps in the road.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
what about that little bit of play in the steering shaft slip joint. The joint Between the steering wheel and the box, made to collapse in a crash. My 13 doesnt do it - yet anyway, but I think they changed it.

My 09 did it. There was a remedy using fifth wheel grease to take up the slack. I just dealt with it.

Thought about this last night. I don't remember if there was a loud noise noise vs a smaller noise/movement. Its been three years and I cant remember last week.

Last edited:

steve_r2

A steering related clunk is almost always a loose component or worn out joint.

This is why I like WAL so much.....thanks Eddie....
So went and rechecked everything.....it turns out to be the drag link at the passenger side (even put a stethoscope against it to confirm it was making the clunk) so a lot happier replacing that rather than a sterling gear box.
Thanks again

Top Bottom