Was Trying To Do A Little Night Wheeling, NO GO

whytiptoe

So was going out to do a little bit of night wheeling close to the house, but jeep said NOPE. Transfer case shifter cable broke, sad on 2016 with only 10K miles on it. Taking it to the dealer tomorrow to talk to them about upgrading to the Advance Adapters cable.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Bummer. I have to say, for as many times as I've seen this happen and have helped to fix, I've never had one break on my Jeeps - knock on wood.

whytiptoe

Bummer. I have to say, for as many times as I've seen this happen and have helped to fix, I've never had one break on my Jeeps - knock on wood.

My brother was out with me and I never thought mine was sticky, but I messed with his, and YEA mine had to be out of adjustment. Or, which I like better, I just off road the right amount!!! JK need to get of road a hell of a lot more.

Judesign

Caught the Bug
For this reason I carry spares now. Amazing how a tiny piece of plastic can have such an effect.

Tree Frog

Please excuse my ignorance in this matter.

Can the transfer case be shifted in and out of 4 by hand. By crawling underneath and moving a lever or something?

So Judesign is it possible you could do a write up on how to change this part out? Thank you!

When mine was new it was an absolute pain to get in and out of 4-WD Low range. I must have ground the burrs off or something as now it usually slip right in and comes right out.

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
Please excuse my ignorance in this matter.

Can the transfer case be shifted in and out of 4 by hand. By crawling underneath and moving a lever or something?

So Judesign is it possible you could do a write up on how to change this part out? Thank you!

When mine was new it was an absolute pain to get in and out of 4-WD Low range. I must have ground the burrs off or something as now it usually slip right in and comes right out.

Not sure if you realize or not, but it even states in the manual (only reason I do it) is that you should be moving about 2 mph to shift it in low and have the tranny in neutral

JeepJeep75

Not sure if you realize or not, but it even states in the manual (only reason I do it) is that you should be moving about 2 mph to shift it in low and have the tranny in neutral

This!! [emoji121][emoji121][emoji121] mine is almost impossible to shift when standing still. Moving just a bit is enough to get it to slip right into 4low.

GraniteCrystal

One thing I haven't quite mastered is how to do that when I'm stopped, facing uphill, and want to shift into 4L. Give it a little gas to go forward and then pop it in?

zimm

Caught the Bug
Can you show us what breaks? What spare part to keep onboard? And how to shift it if the cable does break?

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
My rubber bushing broke on mine. Probably because I was trying to force it. Now I just start moving less than 5 mph, put the tranny in neutral and shift the transfer case. Smooth as butter. I purchased a couple extra bushings for back up.

DannyD

This happened to me the day I bought my jeep just turned around and drove right back to the dealer haha

Tree Frog

Yes I read the manual, and re-read it. To tell you the truth this has got to be the dumbest effing thing I have ever heard of.
2 MPH with the trans in neutral, while attempting to shift the transfer case. Ugh huh, really?

Yep I have just about got it down. It just seems like you would want the ability to shift into 4 low when you need to use it, not before.
Its the kind of thing that takes practice to get it down.

Just remember to not force anything, ever.
Once you grind it a few times it seems to take the burrs off then she will slip right in. :cheesy:

Still waiting on somebody to post a pick of the part and let us know how to swap it out.
Got a big project going on in the middle of my garage and the Jeep is over in another garage or I would crawl under there and have a look around.

JeepJeep75

Not the right angle, but the bushing that breaks holds the ball on the end of the cable inside a bigger hole in the shifter arm on the side of the Tcase. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1469064085.828381.jpg
Follow the end of this cable in the pic and you'll find the shitty little plastic bushing

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Advance Adapters sells this to replace the crap plastic parts on the stock JK shift linkage. I broke the linkage on my old '08 JK a few times. Always used zip ties to temp fix it. The xfer case shifter in my '15 has always felt like it's binding and on the verge of snapping when I shift to 4 low or back into 4 high, but it hasn't broken yet.

Here's the advance adapters shifter upgrade.

http://www.advanceadapters.com/products/715596--heavy-duty-jk-cable-shifter-upgrade/

Last edited:

Tree Frog

Nice! This looks like a quality part.

Did anybody else read the directions? When I put my Adams driveshafts on I used red Loctite and ran the nut to 160 lbs. Was thinking when I did it "man I hope I never have to try to take this off again."

Thanks for the link HighOctane.

Also thanks JeepJeep75 for the photos.

Top Bottom