2012 3.6L Engine Ticking Noise HELP! Insight!!

TheFett

Ok so here's the deal. My 2012 JKU now has 123,418 miles on it. I have been reading and reading with google searches and searching the forum here. I find plenty of info on the "warranty" Chrysler put out for the 3.6L Engines. I have read through countless members here and elsewhere reporting the dreadful "ticking" noise.

Well mine has it now! I know right shocker.....well it does have 123k miles on it so trade it in, yeh yeh yeh. Ok seriously. I love my JKU and so does the family. With our first kid turning 4months old and wife now being a stay at home mom, money doesn't grown in the proverbial tree, at least not in my yard.

So I took the Jeep to the dealer after mug reading. I read that the warranty was extended to 150,000 miles. Phew I rushed over to the dealer and talked with my service rep there. So he walks out and hears the noise. Shakes his head and says "yep that's the same issue we've heard from many others". So he puts the scanner on the Jeep and I'm thinking phew just made it and good he said what he said. Next he says "well it's not showing any codes though so it's ok"!?!?! WTF After some discussion he basically tells me that there's nothing they can do unless the engine is showing codes!?!

Ok so here's the point to this thread. If the engine won't show codes, the dealership hears and knows the problem but WONT do anything until codes show up. THEN I see only one logical solution. Make this thing misfire and throw the damn code!!

1) I know it needs to be banks 2,4 or 6, from everything I've read.

2) How do you make it throw the damn codes?
- I have spent this entire evening taking the engine apart and disconnecting things left and right (ok just left driver side, but you know what I mean).

I cannot get the "needed" P0303 code or multiple misfire codes!!!

With the way I drive for work I'll be past the "warranty" period by the end of this year more than likely. So anyone with some engine insight, anyone who has faced this problem and prevailed. Anyone here that can lend some help it's much appreciated. Annnnnd lets get this outta the way now.....I've had some drinks and no I don't want CHIPS......well maybe after but just this info first...lol

Jk_nate

Idk for sure but could you take 2 spark plug wires off and drive it around the block and get a code? I would try that.

dwvninety

Mine developed a ticking at 65K then at 81K got the code, warranty covered it. I would suggest looking for another dealer.

TheFett

Ok so here's what I tried, and of course keep in mind this is driver side I need to create the problem so I have to take off the intake each time to get to wires then replace intake to start engine to try to get code.
1) I took the injector wire off last night from bank 2 read somewhere can't even remember now but they said that would cause the code, replaced everything started engine did get a code but not what I "needed".
2) removed everything, pulled plug from coil pack on bank 2. Started engine got code for bank 2 but it wasn't the misfire code
3) unplugged the coil pack plug from bank 6 and got the same results as from bank 2.

I did not drive it around the block but each time started the engine, ran the engine for a few minutes then shut off.

Thanks again guys for the suggestions. It goes in today to the same dealer, that's the reason for the late night last night trying to get the code. I'll keep all posted as to what they say even though I don't have the correct code as of right now.

TheFett

Does it make a difference if I start the engine or drive it around the block to throw the code. I'm starting to think maybe I should tear it apart this morning before going in and unplug the coil pack for bank 2 and drive it around then come back to the house and put it back together before going to the dealer.

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
i understand your engine has a tick, but that doesn't mean sabotage it. your trying to fool the dealer and your looking for advice online.. I don't think this is good practice

TheFett

I'm not looking to "fool" the dealer but rather an issue that is obvious and noticeable and being told it has to show a code to be able to fix and obvious and known problem. I've spent plenty of hard earned money at this same dealer. Bought this jeep plus the wife's mini van not to mention when I no figure the hood had their paint and body shop paint it up. I've spent thousands of dollars in their parts department over the years buying genuine Mopar parts for various things in the jeep. Just felt let down and also somewhat understood what the dealer was saying between the lines. "If it throws the code it's covered under the warranty". So it needs to throw a code for paperwork and for paperwork to be filled to take care of something obvious, ok I'm game I'll make it "work".

JeepJeep75

I think the dealership techs will be able to figure out that codes you are trying to set are a result of simply unplugging things. As TrainWreck618 said, this is bad form dude. Just keep driving it and let it run its course. If you sabotage it and the dealer figures it out then what are you gonna do?

WJCO

Meme King
I'm not looking to "fool" the dealer but rather an issue that is obvious and noticeable and being told it has to show a code to be able to fix and obvious and known problem. I've spent plenty of hard earned money at this same dealer. Bought this jeep plus the wife's mini van not to mention when I no figure the hood had their paint and body shop paint it up. I've spent thousands of dollars in their parts department over the years buying genuine Mopar parts for various things in the jeep. Just felt let down and also somewhat understood what the dealer was saying between the lines. "If it throws the code it's covered under the warranty". So it needs to throw a code for paperwork and for paperwork to be filled to take care of something obvious, ok I'm game I'll make it "work".

I would get the general manager involved. At least that might be an option at a better chance of repair.

TheFett

Update too anyway and thx for the input TrainWreck618. I did throw the code all legit this morning on its own.

All my efforts last night and nothing came about it. Asking for help here on the forum and getting some good advice but I figured shoot I'll just roll in to the dealer today and see what they say and how much it's gonna take to fix this.
Low and behold literally 4 miles from turning into the dealership this morning the Jeep spit, sputtered and damn near didn't stop as I almost rolled into US 1 traffic. I came to a halt and it was running extremely rough, the engine light lit up, and I had an upwelling of excitement. Got down to the dealership, my usual service rep came out greeted me and said how's it running. I told him what just literally just happened and he said let's check. Wooohooo it was a misfire on bank 6. In now for service warranty and they put me in a rental too.

WJCO

Meme King
Update too anyway and thx for the input TrainWreck618. I did throw the code all legit this morning on its own.

All my efforts last night and nothing came about it. Asking for help here on the forum and getting some good advice but I figured shoot I'll just roll in to the dealer today and see what they say and how much it's gonna take to fix this.
Low and behold literally 4 miles from turning into the dealership this morning the Jeep spit, sputtered and damn near didn't stop as I almost rolled into US 1 traffic. I came to a halt and it was running extremely rough, the engine light lit up, and I had an upwelling of excitement. Got down to the dealership, my usual service rep came out greeted me and said how's it running. I told him what just literally just happened and he said let's check. Wooohooo it was a misfire on bank 6. In now for service warranty and they put me in a rental too.

Misfire on bank 6? I thought it only had 2 banks? :cheesy:

Seriously, glad it set the code, hope it works out for you.

TheFett

Yeh thanks guys. I'll post back up too about how the repair went. As for now its scheduled to be out of surgery by Friday. So fingers crossed.

Marauder

Mine has been ticking since day 1. Had the head replaced at 30k and it still ticks. Meh! It is what it is.

TheFett

Ok so here's the update. Dealer ship which name will go unmentioned but let's just say rhymes with Abrrigo Dodge Chrysler Jeep calls me.
Me: Hello
Abrrigo: Yes this is "Shim" from Abrrigo
Me: Oh hey man what's up? Jeep ready to pickup?
Abrrigo: No, so here's the thing. It's not going to be covered. I can't get Chrysler to warranty it because we did a cylinder leak test and it passed. So you know how it is man it's all about paperwork and I just can't get them to warranty it.
Me: Oh you gotta be kidding me. It threw the code this morning, you verified that, it's spitting and sputtering now and it's obvious what the problem is.
Abrrigo: Yeh man I don't know what's going on with Chrysler. You know I want to help I want to do whatever we can but that's it from Chrysler.
Me: Ok so you've taken it apparent so what's the problem then? Like what do I need to fix it?
Abrrigo: It does need a cam shaft and lifter.
Me: So how much would that cost then?
Abrrigo: Parts labor and all $1100 out the door.
Me: The engine has 123k miles on it and $1100 for 1 lifter and the crankshaft and it's not going to be covered under a warranty. No man, no way out the f**king thing back together and I'll come pick it up.
Abrrigo: Oh man I understand totally I do. Ok so we'll get it out back and I'll see you when you get here and we can just settle up for now.
Me: Settle up!?!?!
Abrrigo: Well yeh just the matter of $99 diagnostic fee, and the cost of the rental car.
Me: Diagnostic fee and rental!?! This was all supposed to be under warranty, you said it was a warranty thing you saw the light and said that was all covered and that's why I got a rental car. Now I have to pay you $210.83 for rental car and diagnostic!?!?! For NOTHING, and my Jeep still ticks and runs rough now too!?!
Abrrigo: Well it's not a warranty thing that what I'm telling you, so yeh those things aren't covered.
Me: Dude look, I bought my Dodge Ram new from you guys, traded it in for my 2012 New Jeep Wrangler, just literally bought the wife's New MiniVan and all my service and ALL my Mopar parts I buy from you guys and this is what your telling me.
Abrrigo: I know I know I understand but it's not warranty work so that's all not covered.
Me: Put it back together and I'll be there when it's ready! CLICK!!

Needless to say! Not gonna be dealing with this dealership EVER AGAIN!!!!!!

WJCO

Meme King
Ok so here's the update. Dealer ship which name will go unmentioned but let's just say rhymes with Abrrigo Dodge Chrysler Jeep calls me.
Me: Hello
Abrrigo: Yes this is "Shim" from Abrrigo
Me: Oh hey man what's up? Jeep ready to pickup?
Abrrigo: No, so here's the thing. It's not going to be covered. I can't get Chrysler to warranty it because we did a cylinder leak test and it passed. So you know how it is man it's all about paperwork and I just can't get them to warranty it.
Me: Oh you gotta be kidding me. It threw the code this morning, you verified that, it's spitting and sputtering now and it's obvious what the problem is.
Abrrigo: Yeh man I don't know what's going on with Chrysler. You know I want to help I want to do whatever we can but that's it from Chrysler.
Me: Ok so you've taken it apparent so what's the problem then? Like what do I need to fix it?
Abrrigo: It does need a cam shaft and lifter.
Me: So how much would that cost then?
Abrrigo: Parts labor and all $1100 out the door.
Me: The engine has 123k miles on it and $1100 for 1 lifter and the crankshaft and it's not going to be covered under a warranty. No man, no way out the f**king thing back together and I'll come pick it up.
Abrrigo: Oh man I understand totally I do. Ok so we'll get it out back and I'll see you when you get here and we can just settle up for now.
Me: Settle up!?!?!
Abrrigo: Well yeh just the matter of $99 diagnostic fee, and the cost of the rental car.
Me: Diagnostic fee and rental!?! This was all supposed to be under warranty, you said it was a warranty thing you saw the light and said that was all covered and that's why I got a rental car. Now I have to pay you $210.83 for rental car and diagnostic!?!?! For NOTHING, and my Jeep still ticks and runs rough now too!?!
Abrrigo: Well it's not a warranty thing that what I'm telling you, so yeh those things aren't covered.
Me: Dude look, I bought my Dodge Ram new from you guys, traded it in for my 2012 New Jeep Wrangler, just literally bought the wife's New MiniVan and all my service and ALL my Mopar parts I buy from you guys and this is what your telling me.
Abrrigo: I know I know I understand but it's not warranty work so that's all not covered.
Me: Put it back together and I'll be there when it's ready! CLICK!!

Needless to say! Not gonna be dealing with this dealership EVER AGAIN!!!!!!

That sucks man. But if a leak down test passes, it sounds like the head is good. I'm not real familiar with the head issue but I thought I remember that the defect was compression loss .

TheFett

I'm not even so upset with the non-warranty thing now. Figure I'll just keep driving it and if it happens again before the 150,000 mile warranty expires great. If it doesn't and it happens after the fact I'll just look at getting a new engine I love my JKU too much to give up on it. Most of my frustration out goes towards the dealership I wouldn't bother to take the rental car why would I want to pay for a rental car if it's not under warranty I would've had my wife's car to drive around. Understand the diagnostics fee almost willing to pay that just not the extra couple hundred dollars for the rental car. I felt like I they gave me the rental car under the description of it all being covered under warranty. I don't know, at the end of the day I could have far bigger problems to worry about it's not that big a deal just feel let down by the dealership that I've done a lot of business with and bought all my vehicles from. Maybe I'm in the wrong not looking for a handout just looking for what I thought and felt would be fair.

Top Bottom