How does new front drive shaft fix tranny boot configuration?

LarryG

I have a 3.5 lift on my 2016. Do I really need to replace my front shaft? Wha will a new one change that eliminates the tore boot expectation on the transfer case?:hmm:

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
I have a 3.5 lift on my 2016. Do I really need to replace my front shaft? Wha will a new one change that eliminates the tore boot expectation on the transfer case?:hmm:

You don't need to replace it. You will have to replace it after the boot tears if you don't want further problems. Also, if your replacing you wouldn't be re-installing the same style shaft, so you won't have a torn boot again

Wethy

It also allows you more clearance between the exhaust cross over and the shaft itself. On the OEM shaft there is a boot that sits over the crossover and can't contact it and tear that boot as well because the stock shaft is larger in diameter than an aftermarket.

Andy5160

Hooked
I have 3.5 with stock shafts no need to replace unless it goes bad but definitely keep in mind that it will one day.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The tearing of the slip shaft boot is the least of your concerns. With the amount of lift that you have, the CV boot on your output shaft will be in a constant state of pinch. Sooner than later, this will cause it to fail and once it does, there will be nothing to keep the grease inside and the bearings will go bad very quickly. An aftermarket shaft will address this issue and being that it will have a narrower diameter tube, it will also not make contact with your exhaust cross over or transmission.

Andy5160

Hooked
The tearing of the slip shaft boot is the least of your concerns. With the amount of lift that you have, the CV boot on your output shaft will be in a constant state of pinch. Sooner than later, this will cause it to fail and once it does, there will be nothing to keep the grease inside and the bearings will go bad very quickly. An aftermarket shaft will address this issue and being that it will have a narrower diameter tube, it will also not make contact with your exhaust cross over or transmission.

Any specific brands to consider?. I was looking into Adams when the time comes

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Any specific brands to consider?. I was looking into Adams when the time comes

Adams and JE Reel make good shafts. If you have a driveline shop local to you, I might even recommend you go that route as the price difference may be negligible if not the same. I have gone this route on more than one occasion and have been real happy with what I got. Also, if you play with your Jeep hard enough, you will need to use them to have your shafts rebalanced and rebuilt from time to time.

Andy5160

Hooked
Adams and JE Reel make good shafts. If you have a driveline shop local to you, I might even recommend you go that route as the price difference may be negligible if not the same. I have gone this route on more than one occasion and have been real happy with what I got. Also, if you play with your Jeep hard enough, you will need to use them to have your shafts rebalanced and rebuilt from time to time.

Noted!
Thank you!

Top Bottom