PDA

View Full Version : PROOF of the Fabled NEW Jeep Truck???

wayoflife
07-20-2016, 03:11 PM
Just saw this article on Road & Track and as you can see, they have actual photos of what looks like a double cab Jeep Wrangler pick-up mule in testing camo. Could this be the proof we've all been waiting for? Could the prospects of a Jeep truck really be true? What do you think? :crazyeyes:

PROOF: This Is the Jeep Wrangler Pickup Truck
Holy crap. It's real.
By Chris Perkins - Jul 20, 2016

Earlier this year, Fiat Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne confirmed that the Jeep Wrangler Pickup was finally happening. Now, we present you with a very early look at the Wrangler Pickup everyone's wanted forever. This is obviously a heavily camouflaged prototype, but it's the real deal.

Jeep has been teasing enthusiasts with pickup truck concepts for over a decade now, but with the next-generation Wrangler–which is set to debut in non-pickup form later this year–it finally decided to put the pickup into production. We're expecting the pickup to make its official debut towards the end of next year.

Details on the next-gen Wrangler are fairly slim thus far, though we have a pretty good idea of what to expect. It'll retain its body-on-frame construction, but like the Ford F-150, it should see an increased use of aluminum to help reduce weight and boost fuel economy. Also in a nod to economy, it's been suggested that the Wrangler will get a new 300-hp turbocharged four-cylinder engine. Diesel and hybrid versions are also rumored, but yet to be confirmed.

From what we can see here, the Wrangler Pickup prototype has some seriously knobby off-road tires and a fairly large bed, so it looks like a legitimate work truck. We've still got a while before we'll see the Wrangler Pickup in its fully uncovered glory, but these spy shots will tide us over nicely.

caminton
07-20-2016, 03:15 PM
:clap2::eek::thumb::crazyeyes::wings::2thumbsup::r ock:

That's all I can come up with. This is awesome.

ROCK HARD 4X4
07-20-2016, 03:17 PM
Can't wait to add part numbers for it. We already make a Scrambler bed cage. Just need to get our hands on the new truck.

http://www.rockhard4x4.com/v/vspfiles/photos/RH-1005-A-2T.jpg

stormtroopedjk
07-20-2016, 03:23 PM
Oh man I'm excited. I already am loving the look!! I'd trade the jk in for one !

baeteamjk
07-20-2016, 03:38 PM
Curious how this thing will look with the top off.

reatti
07-20-2016, 03:41 PM
I am really looking forward to see it without the camo... ;) It must look awesome! :)

Ortiz73ca
07-20-2016, 03:44 PM
Nice I hope there are more options for it.

Rubicon john
07-20-2016, 03:45 PM
Looks like this prototype is the wrangler unlimited cab and the bed appears similar to a Ram 1500.

pop2tu
07-20-2016, 03:47 PM
That is way cool! Can't wait to see one

JDalcour
07-20-2016, 03:47 PM
Just a matter of time from here on out

Blkfenderslookbetter
07-20-2016, 03:50 PM
Maybe it's just the angle of the photo... but the front axle seems to be tracking wider than the rear. And those wheels are fugly

Red Knight15
May have get one of those after I'm done with all the mods on my JKU. 🤔

Exodus Jeeps
the bed appears similar to a Ram 1500.

Now the straps in the bed make sense. They're probably holding it together at the bottom after they chopped it to fit. Those wheels are fugly. Still not a fan and don't see myself ever owning one of these.

akershner
07-20-2016, 03:51 PM
Oh man, I thought I'd never give up the JKU but this is tempting!

ADee1
07-20-2016, 03:51 PM
I can't wait to see it unwrapped.

EagleScout
07-20-2016, 03:52 PM
That'd be sick with a soft shell cover all the way back!

jkmca
07-20-2016, 03:55 PM
Curious how this thing will look with the top off.

hopefully as cool as this old beast :brows:

KICKROX
07-20-2016, 03:57 PM
Nice, something to look forward to!

Coop
07-20-2016, 03:58 PM
Looks cool! Can't wait to see one in person!

piginajeep
07-20-2016, 03:58 PM
Can't wait to add part numbers for it. We already make a Scrambler bed cage. Just need to get our hands on the new truck.

http://www.rockhard4x4.com/v/vspfiles/photos/RH-1005-A-2T.jpg

Make one for the jk8, so I can run a soft top :)

WJCO
07-20-2016, 04:08 PM
I like the concept idea of it, but it doesn't really look like a Jeep anymore. We shall see when it's fully uncovered. Hope it has a V8.

Cobound
07-20-2016, 04:09 PM
I've been waiting so long, I hope I'm not disappointed once the camo is off. I can't like the AEV Brute DC any more than I already do...so it might be tough to beat. That bed just looks too rounded.

Anyway, ABOUT DAMN TIME :rock:

A turbo 4 cyl vs. a Hemi tho, AEV still wins :lol: Of course, this one should be more affordable!!

I've been holding off the mods to my current JK just so I could see a real truck on the plate...now the next step is to see it w/o camo...crossing fingers they don't F it up!!

Thanks for sharing your find,

B

Diesel_Ranger
07-20-2016, 04:10 PM
I hope they offer this with the diesel engine option offered in the 1500 rams. That would make this thing truly awesome. Plus the potential for 25+ mpg and all that low end torque from a diesel is really what every Jeep needs.

FallonJeeper
07-20-2016, 04:15 PM
I was just at the dealership, last week, picking up our newest JK and the salesman was talking about it. It's way in the future.

JDalcour
07-20-2016, 04:40 PM
I feel like the headlights have to be upgraded for them to want to cover them like that.

Ddays
07-20-2016, 04:43 PM
The cab section looks like it's the real deal. The bed looks like they just tacked one on from a ram. Wouldn't get too excited about the looks of that yet. Wheels are only camo versions for testing.

redman333
07-20-2016, 04:48 PM
I see it still has the freedom panel to on. I wonder if that will make it to production. I've always heard the manufacturers wouldn't do it for legal reasons. Like if you had the top of our a soft top on and a load of rocks in the back and then slammed on the brakes and got pelted with rocks. You could sure them.

If they can make it remotely close to aev DC brute then I'll be back in a Jeep again. Sold my jku a couple years ago. Driving A land cruiser now. Was going to look at the Tacoma for a truck but I may wait for this.

NevadaZielmeister
07-20-2016, 04:49 PM
I like the concept idea of it, but it doesn't really look like a Jeep anymore. We shall see when it's fully uncovered. Hope it has a V8.

You know, I often wonder, being new to Jeeps, the allure of a Jeep truck. I mean, if I wanted a Jeep truck, I would just get a truck, right?

Can anyone explain to me why they would buy a Jeep Truck?

piginajeep
07-20-2016, 04:55 PM
You know, I often wonder, being new to Jeeps, the allure of a Jeep truck. I mean, if I wanted a Jeep truck, I would just get a truck, right?

Because jeep has been making them since the 50's and why wouldn't you want a jeep truck ??

Brute
07-20-2016, 05:14 PM
Because jeep has been making them since the 50's and why wouldn't you want a jeep truck ??

Amen to this...lmk when you are ready to trade your FC for my Brute...

mcpuck
07-20-2016, 05:18 PM
This is the reason I haven't bought a new wrangler yet ....

Brute
07-20-2016, 05:18 PM

Because I love Jeeps and I love trucks

Desertman
07-20-2016, 05:22 PM
I wonder if they used the JK8 as a starting point?

Vulpine
07-20-2016, 05:24 PM
My first impression is that they stuck a JKU body onto a RAM chassis. Note how the bed sides seem wider than the Jeep's body width. Too many other things clearly say this thing's going to be huge (large, not popularity) As seen, the thing is just too big to be a functional trail truck for the sorts of places people take the JK and JKU. Even the AEV version doesn't look this gross.

Yes, I'd love a Wrangler-based pickup truck. Something along the lines of the '05 Gladiator concept would be nearly perfect.

Put it this way: If this thing comes out anywhere near as large as it looks now, I'd rather plug my old Ford Ranger body onto my existing JKU chassis and make it fit.

Honor2afault
07-20-2016, 05:30 PM
An old girlfriends granddad had an old jeep truck that was awesome. This pick looks like it, but his was a deep yellow.
No, it's not a Wrangler, but still a sweet jeep.

piginajeep
07-20-2016, 05:32 PM
Amen to this...lmk when you are ready to trade your FC for my Brute...

Today , I'll ship it out.. lol

Brute
07-20-2016, 05:33 PM
An old girlfriends granddad had an old jeep truck that was awesome. This pick looks like it, but his was a deep yellow.
No, it's not a Wrangler, but still a sweet jeep.

That is awesome...

Brute
07-20-2016, 05:34 PM
Today , I'll ship it out.. lol

Let me beat it some more...

MR.Ty
07-20-2016, 05:35 PM
I'm excited for one to finally come out. I cannot wait for them to finally debut both the JL and the truck version. :yup:

Liam&Jess
07-20-2016, 05:36 PM
Ya from then pics I saw they have the frame set and do not have the back end mocked and are using a Ram 1500 bed

piginajeep
07-20-2016, 05:38 PM
Ya from then pics I saw they have the frame set and do not have the back end mocked and are using a Ram 1500 bed

I'm sure it's to throw everyone off from the final design. I bet the bed and cab are there just to test the drivetrain

blacker1
07-20-2016, 05:48 PM
Sweet, can't wait to see it in its true form!

chitown35
07-20-2016, 05:56 PM
Well I think it's safe to say that with the angles on this thing, it will NOT be great in the rocks.

crumpler
07-20-2016, 06:15 PM
I'll be happy to have one of these. No doubt the final version will look a lot cleaner.

HighwayTrout
07-20-2016, 06:33 PM
It would be neat for the guy that's into small/mid size pick ups. Finally something to compete with the Toyota Tacoma. Personally I'd never buy it. If I was in the market for a Jeep only then it's a maybe.

For a truck it's just too light and small.

I do dig the concept. For the mtn biker or outdoorsman that can chuck his stuff in the back and get to remote areas.

And much like in the past. I'll believe when I actually see it at the dealership.

clos0791
07-20-2016, 06:33 PM
I'm not sure I would want the first generation jeep truck.

NevadaZielmeister
07-20-2016, 07:05 PM

Because there are so many other options for a truck out there. I would rather buy a Toyota if I wanted a truck. The only advantage that I can see if the cab over frame design of a Jeep truck, but is that even an advantage? I can get a whole bunch of other trucks like this.

This is almost like FCA trying to fill the gap that was left by the Land Rover Defender. When I rode in one of those, I was impressed with its off road capability and then room in the back. I just simply open a door and in goes the mountain bike, surf board, trail maintenance tools, etc.

Am I missing something? Is there any benefit to a Jeep truck over any other truck?

steve_bk
07-20-2016, 07:57 PM
If someone 3rd party can fab the front with bolt on parts to make it look like the M715 Crew Concept, I am all over it. I don't think it would be that hard to do, Grill + Hood. and maybe front quarter panels.

highoctane
07-20-2016, 08:07 PM
Because there are so many other options for a truck out there. I would rather buy a Toyota if I wanted a truck. The only advantage that I can see if the cab over frame design of a Jeep truck, but is that even an advantage? I can get a whole bunch of other trucks like this. This is almost like FCA trying to fill the gap that was left by the Land Rover Defender. When I rode in one of those, I was impressed with its off road capability and then room in the back. I just simply open a door and in goes the mountain bike, surf board, trail maintenance tools, etc. Am I missing something? Is there any benefit to a Jeep truck over any other truck?

I think what your missing is the Jeep enthusiast aspect of it. I haven't owned anything other than a jeep for the last 16 years with the exception of the '04 Cobra I bought in '05. There's people out there who don't care about what trucks Toyota has to offer, or what and other brand has to offer. If Jeep builds a Wrangler based truck, there is a following of Jeep fanatics/loyalists that will want it.

OhNoTheJiggies
07-20-2016, 08:11 PM
Keep saying that I wouldn't trade Acme in for anything... I might reconsider if this actually happens!

Sharkey
07-20-2016, 08:29 PM
I'm not much of a fan of foreign 4wd's...much less foreign trucks.

A well-built, mid-size Jeep truck would be fantastic...especially if taking the top and/or doors off was a reality. If I was constantly (or ever) towing something heavy then sure, a full-size truck with a big V-8 would be in my stable. I don't, so it isn't. If they actually put to market a rag top resembling something like the Crew Chief 716, I'd be first in line to trade in my JKU. If the new truck is just a brute, it will sell like hotcakes but I will keep what I have.

Linebacker
07-20-2016, 08:45 PM
OK, I'm in. I LOVE my Comanche for hauling gravel for my driveway, firewood, and other stuff (being polite here) to and from our digs, but I've always wanted another set of wheels to hit the moderate/challenging trails and still do time on the highways (ugh!) to Arizona and Moab. Oh Baby, Oh Baby, THIS IS IT!

fzapos
07-20-2016, 09:15 PM
Great.. Jeep is really back on track with plenty of projects. This new baby looks good. I hope it will not be too long for us in Europe. A double cab with a long bed like this is really big for France.
But I cant wait to test it !!! :-)

ljvsnyder
07-20-2016, 09:37 PM
great pictures, clearly keeping freedom panels. I hope they make the top completely removable. First impression about 4 feet longer than a current JKU. So not going to be a great tight trail rig, but for the guy who wants rugged offroad and a truck great work imho.

piginajeep
07-20-2016, 09:39 PM
I think what your missing is the Jeep enthusiast aspect of it. I haven't owned anything other than a jeep for the last 16 years with the exception of the '04 Cobra I bought in '05. There's people out there who don't care about what trucks Toyota has to offer, or what and other brand has to offer. If Jeep builds a Wrangler based truck, there is a following of Jeep fanatics/loyalists that will want it.

Yup!

This is it, the average JK guy won't understand it

JDalcour
07-20-2016, 09:46 PM
My first impression is that they stuck a JKU body onto a RAM chassis. Note how the bed sides seem wider than the Jeep's body width. Too many other things clearly say this thing's going to be huge (large, not popularity) As seen, the thing is just too big to be a functional trail truck for the sorts of places people take the JK and JKU. Even the AEV version doesn't look this gross.

Yes, I'd love a Wrangler-based pickup truck. Something along the lines of the '05 Gladiator concept would be nearly perfect.

Put it this way: If this thing comes out anywhere near as large as it looks now, I'd rather plug my old Ford Ranger body onto my existing JKU chassis and make it fit.

Tow capacity.....

RockyJk
07-20-2016, 09:46 PM
I'm in for one! If they keep solid axle front ends and is midsize nothing will compare to it, there's only like 3 vehicles being sold today that still run straight axle fronts ( Ram diesels, Ford diesels and the JK's)

NevadaZielmeister
07-20-2016, 09:55 PM
Thank you guys for explaining. I have a better understanding now.

Average JK guy out.

dwvninety
07-20-2016, 09:59 PM
I wonder what it's going to be rated at? Half-ton or less?

piginajeep
07-20-2016, 10:01 PM
I'm in for one! If they keep solid axle front ends and is midsize nothing will compare to it, there's only like 3 vehicles being sold today that still run straight axle fronts ( Ram diesels, Ford diesels and the JK's)

It might hit the market at the right time for you !

AllAmericanInfidel
07-20-2016, 10:06 PM
Love it. If the freedom panels make it to production, that would be awesome. We were considering a Renegade but are holding off until the final design and pricing comes out for the truck. If it's anything even remotely like the brute, then we will be a 2 Jeep family again.
As far as a Wrangler based truck over any of the other many options, to me it's because I love Jeeps. There is a lot of history and heritage to the Jeep truck. Although I do like Tacoma's a lot as well, to me there is no comparison. I love Jeeps and I love trucks, so this marries the two together. It's like saying why one brand over another. It's just personal preference, and I am preferential to Jeeps! Plus, I want a 4 door version of this lol!

madstiles
07-20-2016, 10:07 PM
I dig it I'm not a full size truck guy I have a Chevy Avalanche and they recently quit making those so I think this will fit nicely in category with the Colorado and such but time will tell if they hit the mark .

Buster3479
07-20-2016, 10:21 PM
I actually like it from either aspect. I'd love a Jeep branded capable small-mid-size truck to drive to and from work and as a grocery getter everyday. This doesn't appear to fit that.

On the other hand, a large, super long wheel base truck with a good towing capacity, adding an equalizer hitch and brake controller just might be the perfect way to tow my JKU across the country on a light aluminum trailer. I'm not into the idea of having a tow rig, but heading from MD to California to wheel having a tow platform would give me the warm fuzzies to make such a trip by myself. It could double as a weekend boat hauler, and home project hauler that I can still drive everyday.

It's about the heritage, capability, and ability to work on it myself for me. Jeep On!

Maker Scream
07-20-2016, 11:53 PM
... I see a Freedom Top 😍

loonies
07-20-2016, 11:58 PM
Here is a jeep truck

highoctane
07-21-2016, 12:13 AM
Here is a jeep truck

Kaiser M715. One of my absolute favorite old school Jeeps!

OverlanderJK
07-21-2016, 02:42 AM
Looks like a dodge tailgate.

Removable top. I like it.

Slanted windshield. I like that too.

10frank9
07-21-2016, 02:52 AM
Saw this over at JLWrangler.com I'm pretty excited. Looks cool with a functional bed!

FireHawk
07-21-2016, 03:36 AM
Am I the only one who doesn't like the look of the fullsize bed on this proto? That's one reason I think the wrangler-truck conversions look so cool is because of the short little bed they end up with. Proportionally I think the short bed just looks much better, obviously for utility it wouldn't be such a winner though.

po5000
07-21-2016, 05:32 AM
where and when can i get one i want one bad :thumb: :yup: :clap2: :beer: :brows: :dont_tell:

cozdude
07-21-2016, 10:14 AM
Saw this over at JLWrangler.com I'm pretty excited. Looks cool with a functional bed!

I did as well! Gonna be an awesome midsize truck!

Ddays
07-21-2016, 10:36 AM
Am I the only one who doesn't like the look of the fullsize bed on this proto? That's one reason I think the wrangler-truck conversions look so cool is because of the short little bed they end up with. Proportionally I think the short bed just looks much better, obviously for utility it wouldn't be such a winner though.

There's no way that's the finished bed. That's something cobbled up and thrown on there. The wheel well openings don't line up and it looks like a ram tailgate. The cab does look like its at least a finished prototype if not the final version. Good camo job tho. Can't wait for a god spy photo less the disguise!

cozdude
07-21-2016, 10:40 AM
There's no way that's the finished bed. That's something cobbled up and thrown on there. The wheel well openings don't line up and it looks like a ram tailgate. The cab does look like its at least a finished prototype if not the final version. Good camo job tho. Can't wait for a god spy photo less the disguise!

Agreed. They are just using the bed from a ram or Dakota to test it out. The final bed will prob be shorter

RMC2
07-21-2016, 02:37 PM
Awesome.

I say hubcaps hiding the wheels. The grill has some slant to it. I thought the windshield had more slant too, but realized it is just camo a pillars. Definately a cobbled together bed, maybe a dakota bed.

But, this means they are trying to work it out.

My first vehicle was almost an 84 Scrambler Lerado, in 1989, but couldnt get the money arranged. I still want one.

FuddyMucker
07-21-2016, 02:44 PM
This thing will be awesome for those of us with bigger dogs. A nice place for them to hang out when they're wet and muddy! Love it!

stormtroopedjk
07-21-2016, 02:51 PM
Everyone keeps saying things about the bed.. This is not the finished product bed it's just to test the drivetrain and to throw people off. Honestly I think it's going to be a badass truck. About time jeep makes a factory jeep truck that's more affordable than the brute (hopefully) lo

trailless
07-21-2016, 04:52 PM
I'm assuming it'll look more complete once finished. If they make a soft top version, it's going to be real hard to not trade in my Jeep.

crumpler
07-21-2016, 07:17 PM
Becoz Jeep truck

stormtroopedjk
07-21-2016, 07:18 PM
Becoz Jeep truck

Hahahahaha that was a good one lol

crumpler
07-21-2016, 07:20 PM
Hahahahaha that was a good one lol

You think I'm kidding?
That's how I'm hauling extra gear down to the beach house this weekend.
The Wrangler pickup will come in handy for my family.

stormtroopedjk
07-21-2016, 07:22 PM
Oh I know your not kidding lol I do the same thing. And agreed I could use some more hauling space

stormtroopedjk
07-21-2016, 07:24 PM
You think I'm kidding?
That's how I'm hauling extra gear down to the beach house this weekend.
The Wrangler pickup will come in handy for my family.

Just realized I forgot to quote you my bad. Lol but yeah I know the struggle of the rack all to well. Bed space would be nice

modman86
07-21-2016, 10:55 PM
If you want a pickup truck, this definitely would not be it. No power, not enough room, and so on. I need good towing ability not to mention more rear seat room and bed cargo area. This starts to loose the real identity of the vehicle. I personally think it will be a flop. If you're looking for a pickup truck, think about it.

RockyJk
07-21-2016, 11:04 PM
If you want a pickup truck, this definitely would not be it. No power, not enough room, and so on. I need good towing ability not to mention more rear seat room and bed cargo area. This starts to loose the real identity of the vehicle. I personally think it will be a flop. If you're looking for a pickup truck, think about it.

Interesting, you know all the specs to know it won't have enough power, room and so on already? This thing is still rolling around in camo lol

modman86
07-21-2016, 11:16 PM
Because there are so many other options for a truck out there. I would rather buy a Toyota if I wanted a truck. The only advantage that I can see if the cab over frame design of a Jeep truck, but is that even an advantage? I can get a whole bunch of other trucks like this.

This is almost like FCA trying to fill the gap that was left by the Land Rover Defender. When I rode in one of those, I was impressed with its off road capability and then room in the back. I just simply open a door and in goes the mountain bike, surf board, trail maintenance tools, etc.

Am I missing something? Is there any benefit to a Jeep truck over any other truck?

You're absolutely correct, if you really are in the market for a truck, you buy a REAL purpose duty truck. One that has good towing capacity, good cargo bed area, large interior space, power, etc. something a Wrangler truck can never be in our lifetime. Sure there will be some insane followers who are going to buy it just because but those who actually buy vehicles for their purpose will absolutely not go that route and I'm one of them. I buy vehicles for their purpose, not for any following reasons or for anyone.

modman86
07-21-2016, 11:40 PM
Interesting, you know all the specs to know it won't have enough power, room and so on already? This thing is still rolling around in camo lol

I never mentioned anything about knowing all the specs, one thing I'm sure about, if it's a Wrangler based truck, it will never have enough towing power as a full size pickup truck. Just seeing how car manufacturers vehicles, I doubt it's going to be what you are hoping it to be. I highly doubt it. Seeing how car manufacturers market vehicles. If you just want a run o the mill mini pickup truck, maybe it's for you. The Wrangler just needs to be a Wrangler how I've always known it to be. It's kinda like Porsche making SUV's, I've always remembered Porsche for the famous 911 body, now it's a different brand and it is why the old 911's are skyrocketing in prices. I do heavy towing so it can't do much of anything for me. If you're a Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep follower, you buy a Dodge Ram as a pickup truck. Anyone who is looking for a real work truck isn't going to buy a Wrangler pickup and that's pretty much a sure thing, well unless you don't know anything about pickup trucks or just an all out Wrangler fan. I buy vehicles for their built purpose and would rather choose the best of their category. Jeep made pickup trucks but it was on and off, the last was the Comanche I believe but overall couldn't compete well against others for obvious reasons. It's better to buy a pickup truck with good history and built purpose, not some kind of trendy built wannabe. Maybe a benefit of the doubt, maybe the Wrangler pickup truck will have a V8, 500 HP, big as a full size pickkup truck but I doubt it. It will remain a toddler of a pickup truck I think. Well see but I'm pretty sure it will never compete with other big truck manufacturers anytime soon or perhaps ever.

eric1238
07-22-2016, 12:02 AM
I have had 10 jeeps. This will be 11. If you want a truck, buy a truck. If you want a jeep with extra or external storage buy this. No way this will "flop". Jeep lovers have wanted this for 15+ years and will flock to the dealerships. The biggest negative to this truck coming out is dealers will inflate prices the first year or two. I HOPE you all want a "TRUCK" and don't want these so I can get mine without paying $5k to $10k above msrp!

rubic0n
07-22-2016, 04:29 AM
I see it still has the freedom panel to on. I wonder if that will make it to production. I've always heard the manufacturers wouldn't do it for legal reasons. Like if you had the top of our a soft top on and a load of rocks in the back and then slammed on the brakes and got pelted with rocks. You could sure them.

If they can make it remotely close to aev DC brute then I'll be back in a Jeep again. Sold my jku a couple years ago. Driving A land cruiser now. Was going to look at the Tacoma for a truck but I may wait for this.

They used to make a Dakota convertible, so I doubt if there are liability concerns.

2nd.gunman
07-22-2016, 04:31 AM
They used to make a Dakota convertible, so I doubt if there are liability concerns.

And the chev SSR

Sithwindu
07-22-2016, 04:33 AM
I doubt the wrangler truck will be a full sized, but it will be a big competitor in the midsize market. It will more then likely compete with the Tacoma, Colorado, frontier and so on and so forth. Not everyone needs a full sized pickup but could use a actual "truck".

My jeep is my Dailey driver, and weekend warrior. I use my jeep for my job going back and forth between refineries and docks. And could really use a truck bed instead of the cargo space in the back. It's convenient to have a truck bed. The Colorado and tacomas are doing so well, with a jeep model truck that's taking a heavy base off the wrangler, I could see it being a more likely option for those wanting a Colorado or Tacoma that's just as rugged and capable off-road as well as on the road.

RMC2
07-22-2016, 09:54 PM
For those that think this will be flop because it will not be as capable as a 1 ton pickup, you are really missing the point.

Go price an over 30 year old jeep scrambler, see how many jk8 conversions, brute conversions, and I forget the other pickup conversion jku vs tj, that are being bought for crazy money. People want and will buy a jeep pickup because they can.

How many true pickups never haul anything. How many of all types of 4x4 never leave pavement or even engage 4x4 or even know how. That includes jk's. Many people buy cars and trucks they want, not because they need to.

I predict jeep will sell plenty. Not as many as four door jks or no where near as many ford or chevy 1/2 ton trucks. But they will sell.

lidless07X
07-23-2016, 09:09 PM
I got tired of waiting and bought a 2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie. It's essentially a Ram Rubicon with a factory Warn winch and a 6.4 Hemi.

I was a bit apprehensive when buying my Ram because I was afraid I would regret it once I see the new Wrangler "pick up". I came to the conclusion that besides the cool factor, if the bed is small, it will be useless, and if the bed is big, I may as well get a real truck.

I hope i don't regret my purchase LOL

2nd.gunman
07-23-2016, 10:06 PM
The Laramie is a nice truck but it's no jeep

Jk_nate
07-23-2016, 10:20 PM
I got tired of waiting and bought a 2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie. It's essentially a Ram Rubicon with a factory Warn winch and a 6.4 Hemi.

I was a bit apprehensive when buying my Ram because I was afraid I would regret it once I see the new Wrangler "pick up". I came to the conclusion that besides the cool factor, if the bed is small, it will be useless, and if the bed is big, I may as well get a real truck.

I hope i don't regret my purchase LOL

If I was to buy a new truck it would be a power wagon. I believe they are just as capable as a stock rubicon if you can fit it on the trail. Very cool trucks no doubt though.

Mlopez4202
07-23-2016, 11:59 PM
Would it have a removable top?

IrvineJK
07-24-2016, 11:05 PM
Still no word on cost?

Mid-$20,000 I'd be in. Anything north of $30,000 just doesn't make sense for me.

CC Dad
07-24-2016, 11:57 PM
Still no word on cost?

Mid-$20,000 I'd be in. Anything north of $30,000 just doesn't make sense for me.

That truck will be closer to $50,000 than $20,000.

HighwayTrout
07-25-2016, 12:28 AM
^^^
Lmao!

Sorry guys Saturn is out of business. when was the last time you've seen a truck cost under 30? Close to 50 is my guess.

piginajeep
07-25-2016, 12:55 AM
^^^
Lmao!

Sorry guys Saturn is out of business. when was the last time you've seen a truck cost under 30? Close to 50 is my guess.

I just paid 25k for a 2008 a PSD. lol

Ddays
07-25-2016, 01:00 AM
Still no word on cost?

Holy hell! My base '14 Sport with 2 options - hard top & tow package was $29k. No power anything. You think this truck will be under $30k? :crazyeyes:
A stripper Tacoma SR lists at $32k before you add any options so figure the Jeep will be at least $35k to start

USMMA11NC
07-25-2016, 01:19 AM
It'll be interesting to see if they leave 30/44 or 44/44 axles beneath it or decide to put their mopar 60s on it. Could be an interesting selling point.

piginajeep
07-25-2016, 01:30 AM
It'll be interesting to see if they leave 30/44 or 44/44 axles beneath it or decide to put their mopar 60s on it. Could be an interesting selling point.

Good point, leafs in the rear like the J8 truck ?? Ummmm

JKbrick
07-25-2016, 01:56 AM
Good point, leafs in the rear like the J8 truck ?? Ummmm

Would there be an advantage to leafs in the rear? My new 2500 Cummins Ram has coils so I'm just asking, maybe it would give a jeep more towing capacity?

IrvineJK
07-25-2016, 02:56 AM
That truck will be closer to $50,000 than $20,000.

Just read an article. Base cost estimated somewhere between $25,000 (low) and $32,000 (high). That seems more realistic than $50,000.

Not everyone wants one all decked out.

OverlanderJK
07-25-2016, 04:34 AM
Just read an article. Base cost estimated somewhere between $25,000 (low) and $32,000 (high). That seems more realistic than $50,000.

Yeah and the renegade trail hawk had articles saying it was $16,999 before pricing was actually released.

AllAmericanInfidel
07-25-2016, 09:46 AM

I couldn't imagine that. My JKU was 38K. I can't imagine a 4 door, Wrangler based truck would go for less than that.

piginajeep
07-25-2016, 01:30 PM
Yeah and the renegade trail hawk had articles saying it was $16,999 before pricing was actually released.

Yup, all the renegades were way underpriced prior to release.

I bet they start at 27-29k in 2wd! Lol

wayoflife
07-25-2016, 01:56 PM
I'd have to agree, there's little to no chance this Jeep truck will sell for anything less than $27,000 and in the most bare bones stock configuration. If I could guess, starting price will be more like $32,000 or more. It really does suck being that you can get so much more for your money if you were to get a different truck.

metalic
07-25-2016, 02:06 PM
If Jeep would drop in the economy diesel and a set of UD60s they'd have something

catahoula
07-25-2016, 02:35 PM
I got sticker shock on a new 2 door for around 33,000. Dealer put on a lift and new tires and wheels and NOW asking close to 43,000! Hell, my 2011 went for 26,000 brand new. I can see the price point of this truck being higher. It would be nice to have one....but not that nice.

Hobolobo
07-25-2016, 04:24 PM
If Jeep would drop in the economy diesel and a set of UD60s they'd have something

And they'd put a $70k price tag on it too. Putting it at way more than anybody would pay for a mid size truck.

whatroads
08-01-2016, 06:53 PM

I would expect a D-44 10 bolt front and D-44 12 bolt rear, (8.875 ring gear!). I'm hopeful they will strengthen the front axle with heavier axle tubes and increased C gusseting than what the JK has today. I am also hoping for a Rubicon version. As for possible leaf springs, Don't count on it. I expect coil springs all around. My RAM 1500 QC 4x4 has coil springs and the heavy duty tow package with a 10K LB tow rating. As for cost, non-Rubicon truck would likely be low to mid-30's depending on options. Rubi truck will likely push to low $40K

RMC2
08-21-2016, 12:06 PM
I figure this pickup will go for just a little more than a similar equipped jeep jl - whatever that sticker price is gonna be.

Jeep, ford, chevy, dodge, toyota, nissan - they are all pricing their trucks out of this world. You definately have to pay to play but it is sure getting hard.

Frank the Fixer
09-12-2016, 06:39 PM
I couldn't imagine that. My JKU was 38K. I can't imagine a 4 door, Wrangler based truck would go for less than that.
Interior and exterior

2016 Jeep Gladiator is a full-size pickup truck made for all those who are looking for a very tough vehicle in this class. This amazing truck has been produced since 1962, and now it is about to be revealed again as 2016 model. This heavy-duty truck will give you an excellent ride over difficult roads as well as in long distance driving. Exterior look of this great truck will have a real army appearance, and instead of the typical army green it will be available in red color. New Jeep Gladiator will come about 1900mm high. Its body structure will look stronger and more powerful than before. Interior of the vehicle will be equipped and upholstered with high quality materials that will provide very comfortable ride. Seats will be covered with waterproof cozy material which will provide required level of comfort. It is interesting that this great heavy-duty truck’s space can be customized on request. 2016 Jeep Gladiator comes with expanded mid-gate and 5’8” bed. If the tailgate is turned down bed can also be extended up to 8’11”. New Gladiator will share with its owners some technology features like GPS and navigation system.
2016 Jeep Gladiator powertrain
Under the hood of the new 2016 Jeep Gladiator we will be able to see two different engines. The base power unit will be V6 which is capable to produce 285 horsepower and 260 lb-ft of torque. The second option will be a 2.8-liter inline 4 diesel engine. This engine can give 160 horsepower and 295 lb-ft of torque, and it is perfect for those who want a vehicle that can get as much as 25 mpg on average. Both engines will come paired to a 6-speed automatic transmission.
Release date and price
When it comes to the price of the new 2016 Jeep Gladiator, according to the sources it will cost around $26.500. We are not sure yet when it will hit the showroom floors, but it seems it will happen by the end of 2016 or in early 2017.

Journeyman
09-12-2016, 06:48 PM
I'll believe it when I see it! Hopefully this will be available at this price. But I just don't see that happening. I'm sure any options the price would increase quite rapidly.

AllAmericanInfidel
09-13-2016, 04:52 PM
Interior and exterior

2016 Jeep Gladiator is a full-size pickup truck made for all those who are looking for a very tough vehicle in this class. This amazing truck has been produced since 1962, and now it is about to be revealed again as 2016 model. This heavy-duty truck will give you an excellent ride over difficult roads as well as in long distance driving. Exterior look of this great truck will have a real army appearance, and instead of the typical army green it will be available in red color. New Jeep Gladiator will come about 1900mm high. Its body structure will look stronger and more powerful than before. Interior of the vehicle will be equipped and upholstered with high quality materials that will provide very comfortable ride. Seats will be covered with waterproof cozy material which will provide required level of comfort. It is interesting that this great heavy-duty truck’s space can be customized on request. 2016 Jeep Gladiator comes with expanded mid-gate and 5’8” bed. If the tailgate is turned down bed can also be extended up to 8’11”. New Gladiator will share with its owners some technology features like GPS and navigation system.
Under the hood of the new 2016 Jeep Gladiator we will be able to see two different engines. The base power unit will be V6 which is capable to produce 285 horsepower and 260 lb-ft of torque. The second option will be a 2.8-liter inline 4 diesel engine. This engine can give 160 horsepower and 295 lb-ft of torque, and it is perfect for those who want a vehicle that can get as much as 25 mpg on average. Both engines will come paired to a 6-speed automatic transmission.
Release date and price
When it comes to the price of the new 2016 Jeep Gladiator, according to the sources it will cost around $26.500. We are not sure yet when it will hit the showroom floors, but it seems it will happen by the end of 2016 or in early 2017.

Do you know the source of this info? All sources I have read state it will be a Wrangler based truck built in Ohio. I was really hoping for a Rubicon model 4 door truck with a diesel.

TLife
09-13-2016, 05:07 PM
Interior and exterior

Release date and price

No, just no

Tylersilverjku
09-13-2016, 06:47 PM
Do you know the source of this info? All sources I have read state it will be a Wrangler based truck built in Ohio. I was really hoping for a Rubicon model 4 door truck with a diesel.

A rubicon 4 door truck with a diesel. That would be amazing sign me up[emoji106]

Ddays
09-13-2016, 07:00 PM
A full sized JEEP pickup truck at $26k? With all those features listed? Nah.

swampdog
09-13-2016, 07:06 PM
Interior and exterior

Release date and price

I think what everyone is missing is that based on the measurement in mm and the general tone of the write up, I believe this may be a European release. In that case, the cost would not be USD, but possibly in Euro or another currency.

Either that, or it is complete poorly written BS.

Ddays
09-13-2016, 07:11 PM
I think what everyone is missing is that based on the measurement in mm and the general tone of the write up, I believe this may be a European release. In that case, the cost would not be USD, but possibly in Euro or another currency.

I think this smells like an internet article. The rest of the info past that mm comment all references imperial measurements and an mpg figure instead of litres, but still, I would like to know the source?

edit: I just re-read that article and it reads more like a translated Chinese instruction manual.

DP1120
09-13-2016, 10:09 PM
Im excited to see what it will end up looking like. I feel it may be either great or horrible. Only time will tell.

TLife
09-13-2016, 10:25 PM

It's total garbage, just as a small but glaring example of the wild inaccuracies: they're no longer producing 2016s. If you went to the dealer right now to place an order for a Wrangler it would be for a 2017.

From what I've read the pickup will be available early 2018 as a 2019 model. I'm not going to bother correcting the rest.

Brute
09-14-2016, 05:43 PM
To quote Yogi Berra..."I'll believe it when I believe it"...

wasaw
10-10-2016, 12:29 AM
Not what I was hoping for.

OverlanderJK
10-10-2016, 12:35 AM

Welcome to wayalife :crazyeyes:

WJCO
10-10-2016, 02:25 AM

Sorry to hear that. How about a picture of the offspring from Nicolas Cage's affair with a lop eared rabbit :idontknow:

Brute
10-12-2016, 05:03 AM
Sorry to hear that. How about a picture of the offspring from Nicolas Cage's affair with a lop eared rabbit :idontknow:

That is disturbing...

puravida
10-15-2016, 03:23 PM
Light truck prices are high for a few reasons and the chicken tax is one of them.

The chicken tax is a 25% tariff on potato starch, dextrin, brandy, and light trucks imposed in 1963 by the United States under President Lyndon B. Johnson in response to tariffs placed by France and West Germany on importation of U.S. chicken.

The tax was supposed to protect domestic light truck sales but some say all it did was run up prices of ALL light trucks.

Overland_stormtrooper
10-19-2016, 12:14 PM

my goodness that is gonna give me nightmares ...

Overland_stormtrooper
10-19-2016, 12:26 PM
I got sticker shock on a new 2 door for around 33,000. Dealer put on a lift and new tires and wheels and NOW asking close to 43,000! Hell, my 2011 went for 26,000 brand new. I can see the price point of this truck being higher. It would be nice to have one....but not that nice.

same here when I went down and looked back in march a new jkur was priced in the upper 30's lower 40's depending on options , I spent mid 40's for it lifted with the custom wheels /tires, winch , bumpers , and roof rack .. one I had looked at with a bigger lift outfitted by aev was up in the mid 80's with a stock front bumper .......

just read another article on msn that put the grand wagoneer at upwards of 130 k loaded out ....

JOHN73738
11-08-2016, 09:40 PM
Looks like a 1500 Ram that they put a Wrangler body on. I'll pass. Take a JKU and make it 2 door with a bed and I'm in. Much like Resq1.