Tire cupping...

Dopey84

Ok so I was just able to pick up some (5) bfgoodrich mud terrains and wheels as take offs from a rubicon.. My question is 2 of 5 tires are brand new and the other 3 have some uneven wear (cupping) going on... The previous owner did quite a bit of towing with his jeep and so I'm curious if that could cause the cupping more so or his suspension parts... He is also giving me his rubi shocks so I'm a bit hesitant to run his shocks.. So also should I run the tires with cupping since they still have over half there life left or run the 2 good tires and wait till I can replace the other 3...? What would you do...? Thanks in advance for your input.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
I'm running a second hand set of mud tires that were used for towing so 2 had heavy cupping. It's can be caused by towing a trailer that is too heavy which lifts the weight off the front wheels of the car.

Just put the new ones on the front and the bad ones on the rear and bump. They'll never wear completely even but they will wear flatter and get a bit quieter.

WJCO

Meme King
Once MTs get cupping wear, they pretty much stay there. Just rotate them every 3-5 k. That's about all you can do.

Dopey84

Ok so after finally taking possession of the tires there ended up only being one tire with heavy cupping.. My guess is it was probably a bad shock which he gave me his stock rubi shocks so I think I'm just gonna stick with my shocks since I know I haven't had and bad tire wear... I also aired them down to 30 psi from his 35psi.. I'll do a chalk test and see where I land as far as even wear

Gossamer

Could this be caused by a shock going bad also? I haven't really dont a whole lot of towing but my front left is cupping bad and a little on the front right.

Sent from my SM-G930T using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Usually cupping is cause by bad suspension parts. You will see it on passenger cars that have worn out struts often.

Top Bottom