Suggestions for multi-day Colorado itinerary

GraniteCrystal

Planning a multi-day trip to do some Jeeping with a buddy. Surprising him for his 30th birthday by flying him in and taking him out on the trails. We'll be hammock camping (thanks to Sharkey and my new attachment points in the Jeep) and fly-fishing.

We'll pull out on a Friday morning, hit the trails that day, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday morning before driving back home to Denver Monday evening in time for dinner. So 3.5 days of trails.

I'm looking for an area that's dense with trails and has some good fishing/camping nearby. So far I've narrowed it down to two possible areas.

OPTION #1: South Vail
Here is a snapshot from Google Earth of the trails we'd be running
JeepCampOption1.JPG
Trail List:
Benson Cabin
Lily Lake
Lime Creek
McAllister Gulch
No Name Gulch
Ptarmigan Pass
Shrine Pass
Slide Lake
Wurts Ditch

OPTION #2: Bonanza
Here is a snapshot from Google Earth of the trails we'd be running
JeepCampOption2.jpg
Trail List:
Alder Creek
Clover Creek
Kerber Creek
Lime Ridge
Marshall Pass
Poncha Creek
Poncha Loop
Toll Road Gulch
Turquoise Mine
Whale Hill

Does anyone have any experience with either of these areas? Any suggestions on which option to go with? Specific places to camp? Happy to answer follow up questions if that helps narrow things down. Suggestions on 3rd options also welcome. Looking for something that will keep us busy for that many days and give him a memorable experience (gorgeous scenery, good fishing, adrenaline pumping offroading, etc).

boardsurfer

No experience with those areas but option 1 looks like you'll get some higher elevation to play with while option 2 looks to have more trail time to explore.

If you choose option 2 I would consider a run down to the Great Sand Dunes National Park.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Both selections are really good. I'd give a slight edge to option 1. If you can get to the Breck area try Peak 10 for a moderate but steep climb through the ski area and a shelf road to the top and fantastic views of Lake Dillon (in the background) and Breck. The Dam Brewery in Frisco is a great stop afterward for good food and the beer's above average to. If your bud takes a poo on your trip I'm available to ride along. Just kidding, but I do love fly fishing. Have a geat time!:thumb:
Peak10.jpg

Last edited:

GraniteCrystal

No experience with those areas but option 1 looks like you'll get some higher elevation to play with while option 2 looks to have more trail time to explore.

If you choose option 2 I would consider a run down to the Great Sand Dunes National Park.

Not a bad idea of GSDNP. Might be worth knocking out while we're down that direction.

Why not Ouray? Black bear pass ect?

I'm building up to those. Hoping I can get him addicted this time so he'll want to come back next year and maybe do them then. Can't lead with the best stuff.

Both selections are really good. I'd give a slight edge to option 1. If you can get to the Breck area try Peak 10 for a moderate but steep climb through the ski area and a shelf road to the top and fantastic views of Lake Dillon (in the background) and Breck. The Dam Brewery in Frisco is a great stop afterward for good food and the beer's above average to. If your bud takes a poo on your trip I'm available to ride along. Just kidding, but I do love fly fishing. Have a geat time!:thumb:
View attachment 213853

Awesome. Thanks for the suggestion on Peak 10 and Dam Brewery. I'll keep you in mind for the ride along ;)

blackrubi14

I don't have a lot experience with option 1 but, if you choose option 2, if you haven't already, you could spend some time around the BV area. You can fish at Pomeroy Lakes, which is a fun trail as well and Mary Murphy's Mine is on the that trail, Hancock Lakes and Hancock Pass, Alpine Tunnel, Tincup Pass has Mirror Lake that you can fish, Tomichi Pass, Cumberland Pass is pretty much a dirt road but beautiful scenery.

For a little more aggressive trails, there is Chinaman Gulch, Grizzly Lake, Iron Chest and Williams Pass (only open during the month of August).

Lots of places to camp along Tincup Pass, both sides.

Last edited:

GraniteCrystal

I don't have a lot experience with option 1 but, if you choose option 2, if you haven't already, you could spend some time around the BV area. You can fish at Pomeroy Lakes, which is a fun trail as well and Mary Murphy's Mine is on the that trail, Hancock Lakes and Hancock Pass, Alpine Tunnel, Tincup Pass has Mirror Lake that you can fish, Tomichi Pass, Cumberland Pass is pretty much a dirt road but beautiful scenery.

For a little more aggressive trails, there is Chinaman Gulch, Grizzly Lake, Iron Chest and Williams Pass (only open during the month of August).

Lots of places to camp along Tincup Pass, both sides.

Wow, that's a lot more options. I'll check those out too. Thanks!

dillard09

Taylor pass up by Aspen is pretty awesome

Yes Taylor is awesome trail and most of the time has a stream crossing that is usually running. Go to Taylor Park Reservoir and do Taylor pass over to Aspen and the Pearl pass back to Crested Butte if it's not closed for snow still. There are many years that Pearl never opens due to snow. But that is a full day but great senery and views.

GraniteCrystal

Yes Taylor is awesome trail and most of the time has a stream crossing that is usually running. Go to Taylor Park Reservoir and do Taylor pass over to Aspen and the Pearl pass back to Crested Butte if it's not closed for snow still. There are many years that Pearl never opens due to snow. But that is a full day but great senery and views.

Taylor pass up by Aspen is pretty awesome

Oh man, these look great too. Any issues running them with a JKUR on 33s with a 2.5"BB?

dillard09

Oh man, these look great too. Any issues running them with a JKUR on 33s with a 2.5"BB?

My grand father did it with his Grand on 33s.
The only thing that you would have to be careful in Taylor is if the stream is running. Hard to see the rocks, my uncle got stuck in his locked up TJ on 35s in the middle of it. He slide off a rock and landed dead nuts on his tcase skid.

Last edited:

GraniteCrystal

Updated itinerary

Ok, here is an updated itinerary. Would love people's thoughts on this:

Day 1 morning:
Out the door by 8 am
Run Shrine Pass to Lime Creek back to Shrine Pass
Lunch in Red Cliff

Day 1 afternoon:
Run No Name Gulch to Wurts Ditch (can someone confirm those connect?) to Slide Lake
Set up camp, do some fishing

Day 2 morning:
More fishing, break camp, back in Jeep
Return down Slide Lake trail
Drive to Leadville, eat lunch

Day 2 afternoon:
Drive up Turquoise Lake to Hagerman Pass
Run Hagerman Pass (out and back)
Run Halfmoon Creek, camp near Iron Mike Mine

Day 3 morning:
Break camp, back in Jeep
Drive to Buena Vista
Run Cottonwood Pass
Eat lunch at Taylor Reservoir

Day 3 afternoon:
Run Taylor Pass up to Taylor Lake
Set up camp on Taylor Lake
Fish the evening

Day 4 morning:
Break camp, back in Jeep
Finish running Taylor Pass back down
Run Annie's Basin up and Aspen Mountain down into Aspen
Eat lunch in Aspen

Day 4 afternoon:
Drive north to Glenwood Springs, soak sore muscles
Drive home

That's over 100 miles of offroad travel in 3.5 days. Most of it is just great scenery but there will be some fun obstacles along the way for a JK running 33's.

Thoughts?

aTX427

Did you ever take this trip? I have done the Alpine loop a couple times and want to plan a trip to Colorado this summer. I would ideally like to do some moderate trails, some rock crawling and camping. Nothing too crazy. Unless I can solicit company, I will be heading out alone, so I need to make sure I can make it back.

Top Bottom