Arb fridge/ freezer

xflstl

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on either a 37 or a 50qt.
Any input on the extras they sell?
I see they have two different metal pull outs, one being an extended one. Which is best if I plan on mounting in the rear compartment in a jku? Covers, and tie downs, dang these are spendy little buggers...

GoldenJK

I just bought the 37qt. Seems like the right size for my 2 door. 37 or 50 would be good for the jku but 37 works great for 2 people for a few days. Bought the cover but hasn't arrived yet. The cooler looks like it would get beat up without one.

Kpalas

I see they have two different metal pull outs, one being an extended one. Which is best if I plan on mounting in the rear compartment in a jku? Covers, and tie downs, dang these are spendy little buggers...

Cover is a must in my opinion. Protects the fridge and also has "some" insulation quality. I also got the hardware kit that runs from the battery to the rear of my JKU. So when I put the fridge in I can just plug it in right there.

Jackal01

Instead of spending the $40 on the ARB plug I made my own, courtesy of Sharkey's build thread. Bought a couple marine plugs off amazon for 10 bucks. Used my own wire. Ran them straight to the battery. Doing both plugs cost me less than half of what the one ARB plug would have cost.

1469066971893.jpg

I like the slide but I can't stomach paying that.

The transport bag is a good buy.

I am waiting for the strap kit to come in. On backorder.

Last edited:

JeepJeep75

Yes they are spendy for sure. Definitely get the heavy duty wiring kit from ARB. The tie down kit is a bit on the flimsy side with short straps, almost too short. The remote monitor is great at keeping you from wondering how cold the fridge is, if it's currently running, and the voltage at the fridge. The cover came free from the place I ordered it from, and is a very nice heavyweight nylon with insulation on the inside. I didn't get the slide out bracket.

KICKROX

I just pulled the trigger myself and I did a lot of reading up until I ordered it. I went with the 50qt after all was said and done for my trip to the Rubicon based on everyone else's recommendation. I"m glad I did.. it was only my wife and I but when you get it you will realize it is not that big inside. I couldn't imagine have going with a 37qt after filling up the 50qt especially for the price difference... you might as go big if you are going to spend the money on one...IMO But honestly, one of the best investments I've made so far.

JeepJeep75

The ARB wiring kit was worth it in my opinion because it comes with the right size wire that's bonded together in a nice jacket, has a fuse holder already wired in, and the 20 feet of wire is the perfect amount. Then it has the heavy duty two-prong style outlet that doesn't heat up as bad as a conventional 12volt socket under load. I mounted mine here: ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1469067382.231355.jpg

KICKROX

Awesome info so far thanks...

Oh, and by the way.. Get the cover especially if you plan to off-road your jeep with the top off.

I was amazed at how cold this thing gets.. I woke up to frozen beer, meat, milk, you name it. Eddie here actually recommended setting it to 29 degrees and that worked great for the rest of the trip. The newer models don't set to 29 but if you set it to 30 it will chill to 29 like i did.

Hope this helps.. There are deals out there currently where you can but the fridge and get the cover free which costs over 100 bucks.

jkbarnett

37 qt. works perfect in my 2dr. It's easy to lift the lid while its in the jeep to get your favorite beverage. I also got the cover and wiring kit, felt they were worth the money. Cooler works great, I've had it for 3 years now.

Journeyman

FYI my 47 qt does not fit between the rear seats and tailgate if placed perpendicular to the two. I always have it strapped down to the four factory anchors in the rear long ways across the back. This is not the most convenient but it works. 37 qt probably wouldn't have this problem, but the 50 for sure will take up most the back storage space.
Maybe you guys that have run dedicated circuits to the rear can tell us why. I have always ran my fridge off the factory rear outlets of my 13 and never had any issues. Curious if I'm asking for trouble with my set up.
Pull the trigger! These are one of the best investments for the outdoor/jeep life. Ours goes everywhere!

JeepJeep75

FYI my 47 qt does not fit between the rear seats and tailgate if placed perpendicular to the two. I always have it strapped down to the four factory anchors in the rear long ways across the back. This is not the most convenient but it works. 37 qt probably wouldn't have this problem, but the 50 for sure will take up most the back storage space.
Maybe you guys that have run dedicated circuits to the rear can tell us why. I have always ran my fridge off the factory rear outlets of my 13 and never had any issues. Curious if I'm asking for trouble with my set up.
Pull the trigger! These are one of the best investments for the outdoor/jeep life. Ours goes everywhere!

My 63 quart only fits parallel to the rear seats. This is fine for day trips with passengers. When we are packed for camping with the rear seats folded down the fridge can go front to back right behind my seat so my wife can reach in while we are on the move.
The 63 and 80 share the larger size compressor compared to the 37 and 52. I had mine plugged into the factory outlet in the back. I had to set the battery cutoff to low because the voltage drop was to much due to the thin factory wiring. After running the fridge for 20 minutes with the engine off, the factory wiring was very warm. The tip of the ARB cigarette lighter plug was super hot. Here's a comparison of the ARB wiring and factory: ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1469082178.039925.jpg

Journeyman

Really? My 50 qt (47L) fits in the back of my 2015 JKUR perpendicular to the rear seats just fine.

Hmm. I know I tried. But now you've got me questioning myself. I'm gonna have to check this out. With the rear seats folded down it would be no problem.

Jackal01

Hmm. I know I tried. But now you've got me questioning myself. I'm gonna have to check this out. With the rear seats folded down it would be no problem.

I built a similar deck to Sharkey's and my 50 fits. Of course the seats are angled on the back so the higher you go the less space there is between the tailgate and seat. So if yours is sitting on the floor I would imagine it should fit since ours fits sitting 8 inches higher. If you mount on the passenger side there is more room since the hump in the tailgate isn't there.

1469120358909.jpg
1469120407241.jpg
1469120502310.jpg

tcjku

I built a similar deck to Sharkey's and my 50 fits. Of course the seats are angled on the back so the higher you go the less space there is between the tailgate and seat. So if yours is sitting on the floor I would imagine it should fit since ours fits sitting 8 inches higher. If you mount on the passenger side there is more room since the hump in the tailgate isn't there.

With the cover on, what are the exterior dimensions of the 50?

Journeyman

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1469134758.575984.jpg
I stand corrected! I just need to build the platform now, so I can access the storage space below. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1469134828.400822.jpg
I just leave this here for myself!

Top Bottom