Questions on alignment, driveshafts, and lockers.

RageKage

Posted this on the alignment write up but thought I'd bump it here with my other questions.
My question for alignment is which step do you start first? Toe-in is last but would you center the axle or center the steering wheel or set caster first?
Also being that I have a 6.5 inch lift what do I need to set my pinion angle at to avoid driveline vibrations? Seems like my caster would need to be well over to compensate. Or should I just get a slip yoke eliminator when I get a new front axle?
Looking at the Adams 1350 front driveshaft btw if that helps any. Currently not running a front driveshaft cuz I still had the stock one on and it was about to shear itself apart so I removed it to prevent further damage.
For the locker portion I read somewhere that an electronic locker on my 2014 JKU is a no go because it will send the jeep into limp home mode due to the traction control and other sensors going haywire from the electronic locker being engaged. Is this correct? I've been looking at ARB lockers anyways just wanted to know if this info was correct or do I now have some more options to consider.
Thanks guys, you all have helped increase my knowledge and understanding tremendously since joining.

Grubbicon

I would like to start buying saying with a 6.5" lift id hope you have all 8 control arms and without you will not be able to set your pinion angle. (EDIT: saw where it says long arm on your profile and if thats the case you have the ability set your pinion angle).

Next JKs do not have slip yokes so nothing to eliminate so your gonna need new yokes and a driveshaft thats log enough.

As far as lockers go E locker will work just fine. A auto locker is what will cause limp mode. Any kind of selectable locker will work just fine.

RageKage

I would like to start buying saying with a 6.5" lift id hope you have all 8 control arms and without you will not be able to set your pinion angle. (EDIT: saw where it says long arm on your profile and if thats the case you have the ability set your pinion angle).

Next JKs do not have slip yokes so nothing to eliminate so your gonna need new yokes and a driveshaft thats log enough.

As far as lockers go E locker will work just fine. A auto locker is what will cause limp mode. Any kind of selectable locker will work just fine.

Ok thanks for clarifying on the slip yoke I saw that Adams sells them for the 07 and up and wasn't sure if it applied to mine or not. That's a small relief sigh lol. Ok so only the auto lockers cause the limp? As long as it's selectable I'm good. I've seen some people do the "traction control completely off" switch mod, would that be something I should look into as well?

Also how would I set the pinion angle for it not to affect caster? I thought the two where somewhat linked together, one changes the other kind of thing.

Grubbicon

Ok thanks for clarifying on the slip yoke I saw that Adams sells them for the 07 and up and wasn't sure if it applied to mine or not. That's a small relief sigh lol. Ok so only the auto lockers cause the limp? As long as it's selectable I'm good. I've seen some people do the "traction control completely off" switch mod, would that be something I should look into as well?

Also how would I set the pinion angle for it not to affect caster? I thought the two where somewhat linked together, one changes the other kind of thing.

Adams is a good company and wouldnt second guess their shafts. Only auto locker will cost limp mode for the fact that it is always locked. When you go to 4low all those things will shut off anyway making a selectable locker work fine.

I could be be wrong and if i am im sure someone will correct me but I believe that once the caster is set then that will give you your pinion angle.

RageKage

Adams is a good company and wouldnt second guess their shafts. Only auto locker will cost limp mode for the fact that it is always locked. When you go to 4low all those things will shut off anyway making a selectable locker work fine.

I could be be wrong and if i am im sure someone will correct me but I believe that once the caster is set then that will give you your pinion angle.

Ok thank you very much Grubbicon! I appreciate the help and input.

Top Bottom