RBZ radio questions

Hot94Z28

I have a few questions, I picked up a non Nav RBZ radio on eBay a couple years ago.

Well I need to pick up a Uconnect module for it to use blue tooth with my phone. 1. Being I would like to use the Bluetooth feature to play music and I don't care to use it to talk on since it's so loud in the Jeep. 2. I am hearing the new iPhone will not have a head phone jack and will not be able to use that port to play music anymore. So what module do I need? I see several part numbers for these on eBay.

Also next question is it says "Chrysler" on start up and I would like it to say Jeep. Question here is what can I do to change that?

Last one is I would like to use a backup camera at some point, so is my best bet on this a lock pick?

Thank you for the replies.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Since you have a radio that has the uconnect phone button on the radio, you'll want mopar PN 82212159. Once installed, you'll need to go to the dealership and have a starscan done to add the uconnect sales code to your vehicle configuration. Some places on Amazon have it listed for different vehicles besides the JK. 82212159 fits the JK 2007-16, KK Liberty '08 - '12, and WK2 Grand Cherokee '11-'13. It's a fairly easy and straight forward installation. Also a good time to add a back up camera as well and get both sales codes added during the starscan update.

Follow this write-up for the back-up camera installation.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?24422-Write-Up-Backup-Camera-Installation

I used this for my '15 JKU, and used all the parts in this write-up. Worked perfectly. No need to spend the money on something like the lock pick. All you need to do is figure out where to mount the camera. My dealership did not charge me to add the backup camera sales code or the uconnect sales code, since I bought my JK from them, along with my last 2 vehicles.

I have this bracket to mount my camera to the spare tire because I did not want the camera down so low, on the bumper or similar area.

https://www.amazon.com/PAC-Mounted-...887&sr=8-9&keywords=back+up+camera+spare+tire

Seems like it's gone up in price since I bought it. I paid somewhere just over $50 for it over a year ago. You could fab something up similar out of '032" sheet metal for significantly cheaper and not alot of time.

You can see my back up camera installation here (scroll down to post #4) - http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...e-Highoctane-Anvil-15-Rubicon-Unlimited-build

As for the Chrysler logo splash screen when the radio boots, it should switch to a Jeep splash screen on it's own eventually. The radio should detect that it is now installed in a Jeep. I installed a Dodge 430N RHB in my '13 WK2 Grand Cherokee laredo that I used to have. Radio came out of a '13 Durango and showed the Dodge splash screen on startup. It switched to Jeep on like the third startup. If it doesn't switch, try unhooking the battery for 30 min or so to reset everything, then reconnect it and see what it does.

Also, when you go to the dealer for a starscan, make sure that you have your OEM headlights installed. If you have something like Trucklight or JW Speaker LED headlights, you will have an DTC show up for left and right high beam and low beam voltage low, or something similar. My dealership was not able to flash my jeep until I put the OEM headlights back in.

Last edited:

Hot94Z28

Thank you for the very detailed reply, I have had this unit in for like two years and still says Chrysler at start up?

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Thank you for the very detailed reply, I have had this unit in for like two years and still says Chrysler at start up?

Thats kind of odd. Not sure what to tell you there.

When you go to "system information" what application software number does it show? is it newer or older than 10.00.11? is your RBZ a '12 or newer model? or a '10/'11 model?

Last edited:

Hot94Z28

Thats kind of odd. Not sure what to tell you there.

When you go to "system information" what application software number does it show? is it newer or older than 10.00.11? is your RBZ a '12 or newer model? or a '10/'11 model?

The application says 10.00.11

highoctane

Caught the Bug
The application says 10.00.11

Ah ok. That being the case you have an older pre-2012 RBZ. 10.00.11 is the newest update you can install on the older RBZ, and the Chrysler splash screen will always be there. Only the 2012 and newer RBZ will automatically change the startup splash screen to Jeep (or whatever vehicle it is installed in).

Hot94Z28

Well then looked up that part number on eBay and that cost more than I paid for the radio. I guess I need to see if buying one with a built in blue tooth is a better bet? I think it's 730 model that has it built in. Thanks for the very informative replies.

Top Bottom