Fuel pump

MBezner

Pretty sure I need to replace my fuel pump. From what I see there's two choices.

One for about $195 that is either Delphi or Mopar part #.
Or you can spend anywhere from $350 up to $600.

Why such a difference?
Looks like the more expensive ones come with a new seal?

WJCO

Meme King
Pretty sure I need to replace my fuel pump. From what I see there's two choices.

One for about $195 that is either Delphi or Mopar part #.
Or you can spend anywhere from $350 up to $600.

Why such a difference?
Looks like the more expensive ones come with a new seal?

Not sure the reason for the price difference, but I would definitely do Mopar and put a new seal in there while you're at it.

WJCO

Meme King
Lock ring too? They can be a pita to get loose.

On an 11, shouldn't be that bad, especially if you don't live in a rusty/salty area. Punch/hammer, good to go, I would re-use that if you can. Fuel pumps aren't too common of a failure on these from what I've seen. You have low pressure?

jeeeep

Hooked
what makes you think it's the fuel pump?
it's a one piece unit with the filter attached, I'd worry about the filter material on an aftermarket.
i got shitty fuel just before EJS but was able to siphon the fuel out then figured out how to detach the fuel line to use the pump to get any remaining bad fuel out.
can of sea foam and couple of gallons gas for the test run and no issues since

DKjeep

I just did this on my 08' I spent $130 on a brand new in the box OEM pump that came with a new o-ring. (Should be the same for you as its the same engine?) The lock ring was easy to get off as well. Whole job took around 2 hours by myself and I had seen zero writeups about it prior to starting so I had no clue with to expect. Its not hard.

MBezner

I think it's the fuel pump or filter. Read somewhere that you couldn't change filter only. The jeep runs good for about an hour or two. Then it cuts out pretty bad. I suspected gas but I have ran thru about 4 tanks. Once I was almost out of gas the engine completely died in the middle of the street. I restarted it and drove directly to the gas station and refilled. It ran like a champ for about two hours or until I had about a quarter tank left and then started cutting out again.

Air filter is brand new.

WJCO

Meme King
I think it's the fuel pump or filter. Read somewhere that you couldn't change filter only. The jeep runs good for about an hour or two. Then it cuts out pretty bad. I suspected gas but I have ran thru about 4 tanks. Once I was almost out of gas the engine completely died in the middle of the street. I restarted it and drove directly to the gas station and refilled. It ran like a champ for about two hours or until I had about a quarter tank left and then started cutting out again.

Air filter is brand new.

This will be hard to duplicate, but you really should make sure when the symptom occurs that you have electrical power going to the pump. I would hate for you to spend the money on the pump and the time, to find out that it's an electrical issue.

To ensure it is a fuel delivery problem though, hook up a fuel pressure gauge to your rail, and tape the gauge to the outside of the windshield. Go drive it. When the problem occurs, see if your pressure drops.

Top Bottom