New front driveshaft question

Jeeper125

So I'm pretty sure my front driveshaft is on its way out after I have been hear popping sounds in 4wd and the boot is starting to spit oil. I am running a four inch lift so I knew I would need a new one. But my question is do I need upper or lower control or both to set up my pinion angle. Any advise is appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!!

TennJK

So I'm pretty sure my front driveshaft is on its way out after I have been hear popping sounds in 4wd and the boot is starting to spit oil. I am running a four inch lift so I knew I would need a new one. But my question is do I need upper or lower control or both to set up my pinion angle. Any advise is appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!!

With 4" of lift, you will at least need lower control arms to correct your caster. I have the EVO lca's and they are great. I do not believe that you need uppers however.

swampdog

Uppers would be ideal to be able to keep the axle in the same location, but you CAN do it with just lowers

jesse3638

Hooked
With 4" of lift, you will at least need lower control arms to correct your caster. I have the EVO lca's and they are great. I do not believe that you need uppers however.

I second this. Additionally don't waste your time with a 1310 drive shaft. Its actually slightly weaker than a stock shaft. Spend the extra $205 and get a 1350. I'm currently having both of my drive shafts rebuilt after suffering a trail break on my 1310 rear. After speaking with Tom at JE Reel its suspected that it went into a bind causing the t-case yoke to fail, u-join in the CV to break, and that pushed the retaining clips through the casting of the H-yoke. He actually recommended a custom 1350 drive shaft based off of my vehicle and lift but did concur that the 1350 for the 4-6" lift with coil-overs I received as a trail replacement would work just fine. My front drive shaft is also chirping so I'm having that rebuilt as well but when funds allow I will be replacing with a 1350 front. I plan on keeping them both with yokes as trail spares.

Scroll down through Eddies 2016 Rockin Rubicon Run pics to see what I'm talking about.
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?38355-2016-WAYALIFE-Rockin-Rubicon-Run-Photo-Highlights

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
Not to hijack this thread but since we're talking about a 4" lift and aca's...
(Before I bought mine) a shop installed only upper adjustables. Is that an incorrect way to go about setting the angle?

Coop

Caught the Bug
(Before I bought mine) a shop installed only upper adjustables. Is that an incorrect way to go about setting the angle?
On a 4 inch lift either one will work. As a matter of fact, Eddie's caster adjustment threat shows adjusting the upper arms.

To the OP, pinion angle is adjusted on the rear only.

WJCO

Meme King

That's a little weird. You want longer lowers to push your axle forward when lifting that high and to help correct your caster. Adjustable upper arms may correct the caster but leave your axle in a weird spot. Unless your lift came with longer fixed aftermarket arms to begin with.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Technically speaking, adjustable front lower arms are used to re-position your axle under your Jeep and front uppers are used to set caster. That being said, the amount of adjustment needed to re-position your axle is minimal and typically about what you would need to set your caster to about where you'd want it anyway. Needless to say, for 3" - 4" of lift, you can get by with just installing adjustable lowers to take care of what you need.

Jeeper125

My old man emu cam with castor correcting bolts for the lowers they are not cam bolts because they are not adjustable should I still buy lca for the front????

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
My old man emu cam with castor correcting bolts for the lowers they are not cam bolts because they are not adjustable should I still buy lca for the front????

Do NOT install these lame bolts. You STILL need to notch out your axle mounts to make the square holes into slots and that's the biggest problem with them. If you flex out on the trail, the bolts WILL come lose. The better solution is to install adjustable lower control arms and set your caster with them.

Jeeper125

Do NOT install these lame bolts. You STILL need to notch out your axle mounts to make the square holes into slots and that's the biggest problem with them. If you flex out on the trail, the bolts WILL come lose. The better solution is to install adjustable lower control arms and set your caster with them.

Unfortunately I installed this lift 6 months ago and grinded out the holes to fit these offset washers, they have yet to come loose but I'll take our word for it and watch them closely. I'm saving the coin for a pro rock and will go the adjustable control arm route. Thanks for the input!!!!!

Coop

Caught the Bug
Unfortunately I installed this lift 6 months ago and grinded out the holes to fit these offset washers, they have yet to come loose but I'll take our word for it and watch them closely. I'm saving the coin for a pro rock and will go the adjustable control arm route. Thanks for the input!!!!!
I did the same thing. Put the pro rock 44 on and added the EVO adjustable lower control arms.

Top Bottom