Rear receiver hitch stinger/slider?

MTG

Caught the Bug
I'm talking about the square tubing that inserts into the hitch and extends out at an angle under the spare tire and then up.

I saw a few guys running them in Moab last year.

Anybody run one?

Yea or nay?

Pros or cons?

Buy or fab?

Pics?

Discuss...

LoPo

Caught the Bug
I'm talking about the square tubing that inserts into the hitch and extends out at an angle under the spare tire and then up.

Anybody run one?

Yea or nay?

Pros or cons?

Buy or fab?

Pics?

Discuss...

mmmm... not sure I've seen one before. I don't see how the hitch can sustain the force/weight of the vehicle to be of any benefit.

JAGS

Hooked
I actually saw a guy with one when we did our big New Year Kick Off run this past weekend. Like you, I am kind of 50/50 on it.

Not sure where to get one or price or anything....I'll need to search it. Hopefully others will chime in with their opinions or maybe have run this.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I actually saw a guy with one when we did our big New Year Kick Off run this past weekend. Like you, I am kind of 50/50 on it.

Not sure where to get one or price or anything....I'll need to search it. Hopefully others will chime in with their opinions or maybe have run this.

Who was running it? I don't remember it. Tried looking on Google also and didn't see anything.

JAGS

Hooked
mmmm... not sure I've seen one before. I don't see how the hitch can sustain the force/weight of the vehicle to be of any benefit.

I've seen a few (noted). I don't think it's as much to sustain the weight but more to deflect one from common down onto the bottom of the spare. Serves more as a "slider bar." Well, this is my thought at least. :crazyeyes:

Serg5000

I beleive Eddie has run one and also Doug(trail Bud). Maybe they can shed some light on this for you.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Anybody run one?

Yea or nay?

Pros or cons?

Buy or fab?

Pics?

Discuss...

We have one that Trail Bud made for us. brainchild has a nice one too. They work well in a place like Moab as they'll protect your spare and prevent it from smashing into your your tailgate. The biggest con is that you have to remove it everytime you want to get into the back of your Jeep. It was almost enough for me to not run it but carry for times that I thought I might need it. Of course, I now run an EVO tire carrier and so I don't use it at all anymore.

JAGS

Hooked
Who was running it? I don't remember it. Tried looking on Google also and didn't see anything.

There were towards the end of the line at the miners mansion stop....back with the cool people. :cheesy: It was a darker color jeep (I think) and they definitely were running what MTG is talking about.

Came out of the hitch at about a 45 or 60 angle and tucked right under rear spare, which was at least a 35 if not 37. It actually had a few battle scars, so they were running it for a while. Damn, wish I would have taken a picture.

CarsonCindy

Administrator
Staff member
Here is a pic...

main.php

LoPo

Caught the Bug
I've seen a few (noted). I don't think it's as much to sustain the weight but more to deflect one from common down onto the bottom of the spare. Serves more as a "slider bar." Well, this is my thought at least. :crazyeyes:

huh, OK, so as you come off a shelf, helps protect your rearend/tire. Makes sense, but I could see if you didn't slide and the full weight of the vehicle was set on it, it tweaking the cross member/frame being stinger like. I was thinking more of a stinger like the front bumper that is more structural.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
huh, OK, so as you come off a shelf, helps protect your rearend/tire. Makes sense, but I could see if you didn't slide and the full weight of the vehicle was set on it, it tweaking the cross member/frame being stinger like. I was thinking more of a stinger like the front bumper that is more structural.

Nah, it slides and it works without tweaking your crossmember. A stinger like the front, like what PS makes for the TJ is a super PITA to open and close. I would not recommend it unless you're cool about not having access to the rear of your Jeep.

JAGS

Hooked
Nah, it slides and it works without tweaking your crossmember. A stinger like the front, like what PS makes for the TJ is a super PITA to open and close. I would not recommend it unless you're cool about not having access to the rear of your Jeep.

Well, as you noted, might only be used for certain wheeling trips. But as a full time thing, PITA as I'm constantly running kids back packs and soccer gear and groceries.

If yours is just collecting dust, maybe MTG wants or I have second dibs. ;)

ramin

Here is a few picture!

They work real well for the their purpose but as Wol said they are a pain!

Attachments

• image-1911979944.jpg
    image-1911979944.jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 315
  • image-1585259320.jpg
    image-1585259320.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 312

Hightower

Brian & Dianne's sure looked well used last year in Moab i agree with Eddie regarding access to the rear door.

Who makes them other than Doug?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Brian & Dianne's sure looked well used last year in Moab i agree with Eddie regarding access to the rear door.

Who makes them other than Doug?

Ray's made a bunch as you can see in the pic above. Hey Ray, you got anymore of those laying around? You might have a Canuck interested in one. :D

LoPo

Caught the Bug

Cool. I already selected my posion with my EVO Tire carrier. :D

NY1982JK

I remembered seeing one of these in action in one of WoL's old MOAB videos. You can skip to 10:05 to see it in action! But you know you'll just end up watching the whole thing anyways lol

Top Bottom