2016 down with bad shifter linkage

Thx1158

2016 HR Rubicon is now down with a bad shifter linkage. Dealer hasn't said too much yet and I have a call with FCA to see about expediting parts. Anyone else heard of failures of the linkages?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you're referring to the transfer case shifter linkage, this is somewhat of a common problem. There's an 11¢ bushing that'll need to be replaced. Advanced Adapters makes an upgraded shifter that will prevent this from happening.

Thx1158

No it's not the transfer case...it's actually the manual trans shifter linkage...but thanks for the scoop...I had the transfer case issue on my 11 Rubi...sad it hasn't been corrected yet.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well that sucks. The NSG-370 6-speed transmission is the same one that's been used since the first JK that came out in 2007. I can't say that I ever had a problem like this with mine. I had problems for sure like the shifter popping out of gear and clutch slaves going out in short order but I can't say I ever had an issue with the linkage.

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
What exactly has failed with the linkage?

Do you have a few pictures?

I have a '07 with a 6 speed and I'd like to know what to look out for in the future.

Thx1158

What exactly has failed with the linkage?

Do you have a few pictures?

I have a '07 with a 6 speed and I'd like to know what to look out for in the future.

No pictures as this happens on my way home from work and I detoured into a jeep dealer. This seems to be an isolated failure based on the response of the group. I'm waiting for Jeep to call me back and let me know what's going on. I was lucky I had a dealer on my way home.

On the plus side, I'm in a Ram Truck with the 5.7 Hemi so that's fun....

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
No pictures as this happens on my way home from work and I detoured into a jeep dealer. This seems to be an isolated failure based on the response of the group. I'm waiting for Jeep to call me back and let me know what's going on. I was lucky I had a dealer on my way home.

On the plus side, I'm in a Ram Truck with the 5.7 Hemi so that's fun....

It sucks that it happened, but it seems like the a best case scenario. Wouldn't it be nice to swap in that Hemi...after or before the linkage is fixed...

Thx1158

It sucks that it happened, but it seems like the a best case scenario. Wouldn't it be nice to swap in that Hemi...after or before the linkage is fixed...

Yeah it sucked, but could have been much worse. Jeep is doing the right thing for the most part and I don't have heartburn with the local dealer. It's a weird and I guess uncommon failure.

Top Bottom