Waterproofing the seat wiring harness

gmanmp

So I have been running the JKU topless and doorless. Have been hitting the trails pretty hard every weekend and have much mud built up on the door jams. I have removed all carpet and can pull the plugs/drains if needed. I want to power wash the door jams but worried about the electrical plugs/harnesses to the seats (I believe its for the heated seats and the seat belts/airbags). I have considered wrapping the plugs in heat shrink tubing; however, if water were to get inside these plugs, it likely would not dry out with the heat shrink. Since there is a small bundle of wires, I don't think the heat shrink will completely waterproof these harnesses either. I have also read where some used dielectric grease. Can anyone chime in on these under seat harnesses and if they need waterproofing and if so, best way to go about it? They just appear to be very exposed to elements and further, are laying on the floor of the jeep.

Thanks in advance.

For reference its a 2014 JKUR-X.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
So I have been running the JKU topless and doorless. Have been hitting the trails pretty hard every weekend and have much mud built up on the door jams. I have removed all carpet and can pull the plugs/drains if needed. I want to power wash the door jams but worried about the electrical plugs/harnesses to the seats (I believe its for the heated seats and the seat belts/airbags). I have considered wrapping the plugs in heat shrink tubing; however, if water were to get inside these plugs, it likely would not dry out with the heat shrink. Since there is a small bundle of wires, I don't think the heat shrink will completely waterproof these harnesses either. I have also read where some used dielectric grease. Can anyone chime in on these under seat harnesses and if they need waterproofing and if so, best way to go about it? They just appear to be very exposed to elements and further, are laying on the floor of the jeep.

Thanks in advance.

For reference its a 2014 JKUR-X.

I thought there was a type of electrical silicone out there one could use to seal. Maybe try an electrical supply house or an automotive store?

WJCO

Meme King
I would zip tie them up to the seat frame if you can, but make sure and move the seat afterward and ensure you aren't pulling the wires too tight. Also look at the connector itself. If it is a weather pack style connecter, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

WP-4PSK-2018__63792.1319045609.1280.1280.jpg

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I relocated both of mine off the brackets and zip tied them further inboard. All 3 JK's I have had have been soaked and standing water. My last rig leaked like crazy and always had water in the floorboards. I have personally not seen the harnesses have any issues thus far.

gmanmp

I would zip tie them up to the seat frame if you can, but make sure and move the seat afterward and ensure you aren't pulling the wires too tight. Also look at the connector itself. If it is a weather pack style connecter, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

View attachment 214553

It doesn't appear to be a weather resistant harness.

gmanmp

Update....look what i found

So i found this today at Lowes while looking at dielectric grease and heat shrink tubing.

Attachments

• IMG_0676.jpg
    IMG_0676.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0677.jpg
    IMG_0677.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0681.jpg
    IMG_0681.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 41
Top Bottom