Axle Shaft Won't Go Back In

J

JKDream

First post :D

Building a Dana 44 for my JK, was swapping over the parts from a Dana 30 (knuckles) and had pulled the shafts out.
The front drivers side does not want to go back in.
Tried rotating the pinion, but it does not want to fully seat.
I can get the axle about 1/4 the way into the locker, then it just stops dead.
Any ideas?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You are talking about getting the shafts back into the 30, right? If so, could be your axle housing is bent enough to make this difficult. But, if this is your first time pulling the shafts, did you remember to remove the assembly washers? These would be plastic rings that would have been on the shafts. Take a flashlight and look down the tube.

J

JKDream

You are talking about getting the shafts back into the 30, right? If so, could be your axle housing is bent enough to make this difficult. But, if this is your first time pulling the shafts, did you remember to remove the assembly washers? These would be plastic rings that would have been on the shafts. Take a flashlight and look down the tube.

Shafts on the 44.
I ran into this initially, but ended up pulling them out with a coathanger.
The housing doesn't look to be bent, but the carrier/gears are still installed so it's difficult to tell.
Is a bent housing typically the reason the shaft wouldn't slip into the carrier, or is something possibly not lining up?

WJCO

Meme King
Was the locker and axle already meshed together previously or is one of those parts new? It should go in with a little force. Welcome to WAL.

J

JKDream

Was the locker and axle already meshed together previously or is one of those parts new? It should go in with a little force. Welcome to WAL.

They were already assembled when it was purchased.
I originally pulled the shaft due to a worn unit bearing.
The pinion does seem quite stiff to rotate however, I'm assuming this is because the locker is engaged.

**Edit
Got the shaft back in, one of the stupid plastic guides was stuck behind the axle seal. Could barely see it.
For some reason the shaft had three guides on it lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom