Tie Rod & Drag Link Replacement

tonytony9

I was wondering what the forums recommends for replacing the tie rod and drag link. I have read up a few tutorials including the project-jk one on how to do the removal and install. Since it seems pretty straight forward I think I am going to give it a try for myself and save myself about $200 on labor.

I like to wheel but I definitely keep it on the lighter side since my truck is my dd; so in reality I am looking for equipment that is stronger than oem and that I can put the miles on. I have looked into the synergy equipment but was wondering what else the forums recommended?

I have a 2.5 rough country bb lift and 34 inch tires, my jk also has about 128k miles on it.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
IMHO the best one you can buy right now is the Currie tie rod and drag link. It's pricey, it's huge, and it's strong.

tonytony9

You're probably best off buying oem replacement. That's what I did and it was an easy install. I think it took me like an hour to do in my driveway.

Only problem I have with that is I don't want to be replacing it again in another year and a half. I do a lot of miles on my truck and plan on keeping it and fixing it.

WJCO

Meme King
I'm looking into this too for my axle swap. I've heard great things about Currie but :eek: the price. Even if it is in my budget, I don't think I can justify spending that much for a tie rod. I'm actually leaning toward stock, lol.

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
Only problem I have with that is I don't want to be replacing it again in another year and a half. I do a lot of miles on my truck and plan on keeping it and fixing it.

I'm no mechanic but I think your issues may lie elsewhere than your drag link or tie rod. The factory ones should be more than fine with a 2.5" bb lift, unless you're seriously off roading.

tonytony9

I'm looking into this too for my axle swap. I've heard great things about Currie but :eek: the price. Even if it is in my budget, I don't think I can justify spending that much for a tie rod. I'm actually leaning toward stock, lol.

Exactly how I felt, Rock krawler is the highest I would consider. People have also recommended going stock to me but I really do not want to be replacing it again in a year just from wear.

tonytony9

I'm no mechanic but I think your issues may lie elsewhere than your drag link or tie rod. The factory ones should be more than fine with a 2.5" bb lift, unless you're seriously off roading.

I have had two shops tell me my tie rod ends and drag links are worn. I then had my main mechanic and one of those shops check my ball joints and they both said they look fine; one of the three shops though did say I need ball joints but I have never used them before. They wanted to use the Dynatrac ball joints.

WJCO

Meme King
I have had two shops tell me my tie rod ends and drag links are worn. I then had my main mechanic and one of those shops check my ball joints and they both said they look fine; one of the three shops though did say I need ball joints but I have never used them before. They wanted to use the Dynatrac ball joints.

I'm planning on going with the Dynatrac ball joints. I just can't see spending that kind of money on a tie rod.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
There are other options. Mine is 1.75" solid 7075 with the same ends currie uses (the are from rare parts). Cheaper and just as strong if not stronger.

Attachments

• 1469762261975.jpg
    1469762261975.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 257

RageKage

I just replaced my tie rod with the synergy one. It is very beefy, very sturdy, and extremely well made. No complaints and simple install. My drag link is the EVO flip kit tho.

tonytony9

There are other options. Mine is 1.75" solid 7075 with the same ends currie uses (the are from rare parts). Cheaper and just as strong if not stronger.

Did you make the tie rod? I don't know if I would have the skills to do that but it's a really good idea

tonytony9

I just replaced my tie rod with the synergy one. It is very beefy, very sturdy, and extremely well made. No complaints and simple install. My drag link is the EVO flip kit tho.

I keep reading about flip kits, what exactly does that do?

Top Bottom