Tire upgrade question on Stock JKU sport

Lone Star

Sorry in advance, this is kind of a long post. :) Felt like an explanation, or process of reasoning was needed.

Looking at getting a New JKU Sport, 6 speed, 3.73 gears. First thing I will want to do is get it out of the stock street tires that come on it. I want this set to last a couple years, while i get all the other mods done to the jeep, bumpers, roof rack, 3rd row seat (growing family) fenders, WAL decals and then get ready for major change with lift, new gears, and hopefully 37" tires. I know one day many, many years from now (this is going to be a really slow build) will do PR44 up front to better suite the 37's. My question is this. With a Evo leveling kit, cut fenders, and C gussets, whats the largest and best tire wheel combo i can get to last me while i do the rest of the Jeep build, till I am ready to get 37"s (thats the goal- Remember its going to be 2-3 years before that can happen and longer before axle upgrade) So i want to make the most of the initial tire/wheel purchase up front.

What I have looked at, and what I like. (Sometimes i need to be kept in check because my thought process goes everywhere!! So bear with me.) I like the Good year Duratracs, I've had them before on another vehicle, loved them (did not do any off roading in them, but worked great for our winter snow/ice storms when i had to go into work in the middle of the night.) I better say this, eventually I will get ATX Slabs with the 37's, I love the wider stance and the look of 3.5" backspacing. Stock Tires and spacer will only get me 4.5" right? I would rather be closer to the 3.5" if possible. which leads me to buying inexpensive starter wheels till then. I also like the smaller wheel bigger tire look and have looked at 15" rims before. I like the Pro Comp Steel Wheels 52 Rock Crawler Series 15x8 5x5. I would really like to get 35" tires if possible, but that narrows the selection down quite a bit, and i'm picky with my tires. I dont like the look of BFG's, dont ask me why, heard too many things i dont like about the Goodyear MTR's, Nitto Trail grapplers I also love, dont come that big on 15" wheels. only 33" i believe? and brings me to close cousin the Toyo MT's a bit more expensive but i like them. With these, my question is with 15x8 wheel, 3.75" backspacing, only a EVO leveling kit will the Toyo MT's at 35"x13.50x15 work. Anyone have any experience with this set up? ideas on different options? If i buy aftermarket 17" rims they are more expensive and backspacing is only 4.5-4.75 majority, i could run wheel spacers as well, but cost wise, i think i may be better off with 15"s, matter of finding the right tire.

Sorry i am long winded and scattered brained sometimes, hope that all made sense and any help and suggestions are grateful. I do not have a Jeep yet, but has been a dream for a long time now, so since i've got to go ahead to prepare to get one, I want one new and as bare as can be. Looking forward to the journey of a build, for now i get to occupy my time planning and brainstorming. :) :) :)

I guess i should describe what uses the Jeep will have, at least 1 trip a year out west to Arizona, new Mexico, Utah Colorado areas doing mild to medium trails as experience allows, exploring and camping with famliy, 3 kids, ages 4, 3, 1 right now, 1 maybe 2 more on the way in the next 4-5 years or so. light off roading in texas, hit up the OHV parks 4-5 times a year. lots of camping and exploring. The eventual 37's are more for looks than necessity.

Holy crap that was a lot of words!

You will need to trim your flares and the pinch weld in the rear for the 35"s to work with just the level. And prepare for some rub when you get articulated. I'm running the OME 2.5" HD springs and 35"s, and I get a ton of rubbing on the stock flares, so they are gonna get cut...when I grow the balls to do it.

Lone Star

Holy crap that was a lot of words!

You will need to trim your flares and the pinch weld in the rear for the 35"s to work with just the level. And prepare for some rub when you get articulated. I'm running the OME 2.5" HD springs and 35"s, and I get a ton of rubbing on the stock flares, so they are gonna get cut...when I grow the balls to do it.

Haha, yea that was a lot of words, and re reading, sorry you had to go through that. lol. I plan on probably going with the 2" OME lift kit, at some point, but just not sure about timeline of events after the initial purchase. If we end up having another kid within the year, which is likely, then Roof Rack and 3rd seat will be priority in preperation for that. This will be my daily driver, Wife has a suburban, but family trips will be in the Jeep. :) Years down the road, will go with a better EVO suspesion package, but again will be a while. So anything i do upfront needs to last 3-5 years minimum. Will the wider Toyos work though? enough backspacing? I know i will need to cut pinch seams and trim fenders. any other issues? besides re-gearing down the road?

Napalm

35s will work with the EVO level and flat fenders. I ran this before and plan to run it again. It has worked fine for me on any Texas trails/OHV areas that I've been too!

Lone Star

35s will work with the EVO level and flat fenders. I ran this before and plan to run it again. It has worked fine for me on any Texas trails/OHV areas that I've been too!

Thanks Napalm, I'm from Pittsburg, tx by the way, head that way fairly often to visit family. One of the first stops i'm planning on doing after i get the jeep and wheels is out that way, break it in at Barnwell.

Napalm

Thanks Napalm, I'm from Pittsburg, tx by the way, head that way fairly often to visit family. One of the first stops i'm planning on doing after i get the jeep and wheels is out that way, break it in at Barnwell.

Oh wow, you aren't far away from me at all. I had some friends that owned a convenient store there. Whenever you are ready to head to barnwell, let me know before you do and I'll meet you there!

Lone Star

Oh wow, you aren't far away from me at all. I had some friends that owned a convenient store there. Whenever you are ready to head to barnwell, let me know before you do and I'll meet you there!

For sure, I've never been wheeling, so having someone to go with me and learn from and see how truley capable the Jeeps are would be awesome!

Top Bottom