Cobra 29 CB antenna warning

Andy5160

Hooked
All,

An issue came up while trying to transmit. Antenna warning on the CB display.As per Fire stick antenna link http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs/Setting_SWR.htm

i tried to figure it out but nothing worked. SWR reading is all the way to the red zone on all channels. Changed coax cable and looked into antenna bracket mount ground wire no issues. The only thing left is the antenna itself or the radio.

Any advise?

TY

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Check antenna for damage, and check your nylon washer is oriented correctly so your antenna is isolated from mount. Where is your antenna mounted?

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Some powder coated mounts need to have some paint removed from the bolt holes in order to get a good ground to the body. As well as the bottom side of the antenna hole. You want the coax to ground to the bracket but the antenna to be isolated.

Andy5160

Hooked
Some powder coated mounts need to have some paint removed from the bolt holes in order to get a good ground to the body. As well as the bottom side of the antenna hole. You want the coax to ground to the bracket but the antenna to be isolated.

Thank's again bottom is seating on the powder coat will take care of it

Bad Habit

If you also got the firewire cable, you probably have a bad cable end. I went through a couple and ended up just cutting off the mini-uhf end and solder on a whole new one. The connectors on the cables I received were both shorted out

rogerk93

I had a similar problem it ended up being the mounting bracket. If you remove the paint or powder coat from where the antenna and cable comes into contact you will have a better ground. That solved my issue

Bad Habit

Yep, easy to get the insulator out of whack and not make good contact. After my first bad cable, I checked it before I even pulled it completely out of the shrink wrap. Sure enough the cable was shorted out

Andy5160

Hooked
If you also got the firewire cable, you probably have a bad cable end. I went through a couple and ended up just cutting off the mini-uhf end and solder on a whole new one. The connectors on the cables I received were both shorted out

I replaced the cable with new. I will scrape/sand down the powder coating on the bracket and lets see what happens. The worst case i will get new antenna mount and the antenna from Fire stick.

Andy5160

Hooked
I had a similar problem it ended up being the mounting bracket. If you remove the paint or powder coat from where the antenna and cable comes into contact you will have a better ground. That solved my issue

That's the plan hope it works.

Top Bottom