Reclining Rear Seats for JK???

JoeB-JKURX

I've searched this forum and the web, thereafter, to see if any enterprising person has come up with a way to recline the rear seats while keeping the utility of being able to fold them forward. Not surprising to any of you, I expect, is that the only thing I could find was a system that put a couple of blocks of plastic under the front feet of the seats to tilt them back just a bit (surely more comfortable than the straight up posture that is stock). I'm not mechanical enough to do this (I have that utility in my other vehicle - a Toyota Sienna) but it would seem that the hinge could be modified or replaced such that a latch or release would let it go back at least some. I expect that there would need to be another mod to deal with the head rest (perhaps a release/catch that would let it be moved to the most comfortable position for the passenger). I'm sure there would be a huge market for this (I'd be in line for sure) if only some creative mechanical designer would get this on his drawing board (CAD system).

Journeyman

I know we take our jeeps Offroad, but they do tend to spent time on the hwy also. I would be worried about liabilities of tampering with the seat for insurance issues, if there ever was an accident of some sort.

JoeB-JKURX

Liability is a legitimate issue. I expect it would have to be tested and certified (not sure what the fellow with the plastic blocks had to do). Too bad Jeep didn't just design it properly like so many others have.

jeeeep

Hooked
i installed the blocks not really expecting anything but I was surprised how much of a difference it made, it does make the rear seat more comfortable.

DKjeep

On this same though pattern. I was wanting to know if anyone has come up with a way to have something lock into the seat mounting spots that are in the floor when the seat is out?

Top Bottom