Putting a Stick Shift in Neutral at Stop Lights?

JoeB-JKURX

I read somewhere recently that it was hard on the throw-out bearing to hold the clutch down while waiting for a light to change (I've always done that with at least 4 other stick shift cars I've had). The article went on to say that you should shift the transmission into neutral until you were ready to go and only then depress the clutch and engage first gear (or whatever gear you want to start in). I've tried it a few times and it's not hard to do once you've done it a few times but I wonder if there is something else wearing as a result. Any ideas?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I read somewhere recently that it was hard on the throw-out bearing to hold the clutch down while waiting for a light to change (I've always done that with at least 4 other stick shift cars I've had). The article went on to say that you should shift the transmission into neutral until you were ready to go and only then depress the clutch and engage first gear (or whatever gear you want to start in). I've tried it a few times and it's not hard to do once you've done it a few times but I wonder if there is something else wearing as a result. Any ideas?

That is what I have always read and done. If I was first at the light I will hold the clutch and keep it in first but otherwise I throw it in neutral

FLKEYSJK

I don't think it's going to have any serious effects by keeping it in first, I keep mine in first most of the time unless I know I'll be at a light for a while. Also like HighwayTrout said it can be annoying sitting behind someone who does that at a light. Unless you can keep it in neutral without holding other people up.

Last edited:

JoeB-JKURX

The few times I've done it while first in line, I anticipate the light change and put it in first while the other light is yellow. I've not held anyone up (though I expect some others do). In line with the argument that you keep it in first with the clutch down though, I expect the disc would wear out before the bearing which would be replaced with the disc.

jeeeep

Hooked
imo i think it's because most people will ride the clutch in and out just enough to hold the gear and that's what wears it out prematurely.
when i drove clutch i was guilty of that and went through a few clutches prematurely.
i switched to leaving it in neutral and using the hand brake to stop from rolling back.
growing up in hilly area it sucked when someone got behind too close.

madstiles

I always go to neutral a lot less wear the people behind can wait 3 seconds it takes to put in gear if they're in that much of a hurry they need some Xanax

The only people that wear things out are the ones that ride the clutch.
I leave it in gear for the same reason I shift down as I approach a light or stop sign. You are most likely to get ass packed while slowing or stopping. Leave it in gear to GTFO.

Or be lazy and plop it into Tijuana overdrive. Coast to a stop and get rear ended when the light turns green and the idiot behind you is texting and sees in his peripheral that everyone else is moving but your weak left leg can't hold the 3 pounds of pressure so....

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I use my clutch as little as possible. Guess I'm the "gear rower" of the party. I do pay attention and it has never "cost time at a light" the throw out bearing is spinning any time your clutch fork is applying pressure between the throw out bearing and the pressure plate. So to answer your question, yes. You will "wear" the throw out bearing more... whether or not it is something to worry about is another story

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Standing on the clutch will prematurely wear out the TO bearing, so while I personally don't recommend being in neutral while driving, I do recommend it at stoplights, or any extended period of stopping. Just my opinion of course.

12-mile

I typically throw it into neutral and then try to anticipate the light turning and get it into first before the light turns green. Just habit I guess after watching my folks do it while I was a youngster

I always go to neutral a lot less wear the people behind can wait 3 seconds it takes to put in gear if they're in that much of a hurry they need some Xanax

I agree completely. The driver's in the Bay Area are terrible they should all be on Xanax. I like to have fun with them--so I was the bad boy in school--now I'm the successful one!:bleh:

Top Bottom