Custom dash anyone? Removal of heater core and blower.

Big Bad Wolf

I know most people keep their stock dash but I will be making my own.

I do not need air conditioning or heat. The heater core and blower are taking up valuable storage room.

Anyone have any ideas for the dash fab? And no, there won't be air bags. I'm in no way recommending anyone do this. haha

Attachments

• 20160701_234446.jpg
    20160701_234446.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 306
  • 20160701_195349.jpg
    20160701_195349.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 309
  • 20160719_223349.jpg
    20160719_223349.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 306

Tree Frog

OH my freakin GOD! :eek:

This is your Jeep? (Or whats left of it)

Okay hang on a second while I try to compose myself. Wow!

I am going to leave out the obvious and not ask why? Guess you dont like heat or a defroster? Yet you live in Newfoundland and Labrador. :thinking:

It should be no problem for you to continue on removing everything that is non-essential. At some point you can start fabbing up a subframe to hold your new dash panel.
Think about all you will want. A large screen GPS unit? Gauges for fuel and to monitor the fluid temp's and pressure. Radio/ comm's?
Lay everything out and use cardboard to make the template for your new dash panel.

Just like building a hotrod.

I would love to hear the story behind this project. Like what are you up to?

Subscribed for updates. Very intrigued. (You got bigger ones than I do I will give you that Sir)

Big Bad Wolf

I appreciate the positive reply!

You are right in taking note that the climate where I am is not exactly warm. I do not plan on using this Jeep for winter. I will just dress for the temperature.

The story is I was unable to look after my Jeep for two years straight. It sat on grass and rusted.. It looked nasty and I feared it was possibly too late to save it. I live next to the ocean so the salt air didn't help.

It turns out the chassis and body are just fine! I spent a few days grinding off the chassis.

I will start a new thread with more detail in the appropriate area.

I have never made a dash so any help would be great. I was going to use wood for a template but cardboard sounds good!

There is so much to do it's crazy. First thing is to prep/treat and protect my frame. I will go into that on the build thread.

The sky is the limit for this project! The only catch is I have no help as everyone I knew has moved away for work. My other limit is funds as I'm saving for 60's etc. I was going to do an LS3 swap but 60's are priority. I have a new set of 40's waiting to be used!

So why tare apart my JK ? I just hope to keep it for ever.. This is my dream and my own dash is part of that. I'm not too wealthy so there is serious sacrifices being put into this build.

Again more detail on the build page which I will create... Lot's of photos if people are interested.

Cheers,

Big Bad Wolf

Brute

Hooked
I was toying with the idea of doing a complete custom alum dash for my JK6...after much discussion with the build team, we nixed the idea due to so many electrical issues we would have to remedy...the only section of the dash we are going to customize is the glove box area, which we will remove and put in a custom alum dash to hold the cb, 50w ham and a large screen gps...

I also removed the ac due to space considerations in the engine bay...but retained the heater...I would suggest you do the same...

Big Bad Wolf

I was toying with the idea of doing a complete custom alum dash for my JK6...after much discussion with the build team, we nixed the idea due to so many electrical issues we would have to remedy...the only section of the dash we are going to customize is the glove box area, which we will remove and put in a custom alum dash to hold the cb, 50w ham and a large screen gps...

I also removed the ac due to space considerations in the engine bay...but retained the heater...I would suggest you do the same...

I can understand why most people would not want to mess up the stock dash. I don't have any desire to keep all the features so I like the idea of extra storage. The core is one thing but the blower takes up the room I wanted. We shall see.

Big Bad Wolf

I was going to retain the stock computer panel. I love the idea of seperate guages but have no idea how those would work with the stock computer.

Anyone know what type of LCD I would use for a back country GPS ? I have a handheld one but the large one is cool for sure. The obvious advantage to a hand held one is if I break down I can carry it with me for the hike out. I would also want it water resistant as I won't be using a roof very often

catahoula

Caught the Bug
You're fucking nuts....eh!

I think Mel uses some kinda Chart plotter or something along the lines in his jeep. I am just assuming from some of the videos.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Off topic, and I don't mean to subtract from the thread, but OP ( big bad wolf) how did you remove the body from the frame without a lift? AWESOME!

Brute

Hooked
I was going to retain the stock computer panel. I love the idea of seperate guages but have no idea how those would work with the stock computer.

Anyone know what type of LCD I would use for a back country GPS ? I have a handheld one but the large one is cool for sure. The obvious advantage to a hand held one is if I break down I can carry it with me for the hike out. I would also want it water resistant as I won't be using a roof very often

A lot of rigs use Lowrance...I have a Lowrance HDS-7 3rd generation...you can get micro cards for various regions & trails, like Moab etc...

Top Bottom