good inexpensive BB or 2-2.5" lift to get by

Lone Star

So I ran into a problem. Brainstorming with my wife, on our prospective JKU sport, 3.73 gears, 6-speed, I was planning on getting EVO Leveling kit and take street tires off and put 35's on with enough backspacing, EVO C gussets, and just cut the fenders and pinch seams. After explaining this to my wife, she absolutely and positively does not want to cut the fenders. :/ So, this changes things as shes ok getting bigger tires, but we will be on a budget, I've already planned on getting some pro comp 15x8 rims (3.75" backspacing) and 35" Toyos, I dont want to keep the stock 16" rims, i wanted this tire upgrade to last a while. and going 15" was cheaper upfront than going 17", and after these tires wear down, i'll upgrade to 17"slabs and new tires anyway. But the lift, i just need something inexpesive $400-500 or less. down the road i will upgrade to probably the EVO 3" enforcer.

The alternative is EVO leveling kit, and run 33's on the 15" rims, which I would be ok with, but if i can work it out and get the 35's then that would be great! Re gearing would come little later closer to when upgrading tires and rims again. Am I better off just sticking with 33's and Evo leveling kit? Uses for Jeep will be mainly Family camping, mild to moderate trails for a while. I guess more geared towards overlanding style use, but still capable of going to OHV and having some fun, and once a year heading out west to explore/camp and run trails.

I know I don't have my Jeep yet, but ya'll are great in helping me plan, and answer my questions. Trying to learn all I can! And thanks for putting up with me!!! :thumb:I'd rather take the best route in reaching the end result than do it a couple of times, since finances are going to be slow in coming. And well, what else are you going to do without a Jeep but dream and constantly wish you already had it!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Any 2.5" coil spacer kit will get the job done. Run them with shock adapters and you can do this on the cheap.

CarolinaJK

Personally if I were you, I'd start off by getting the EVO leveling kit. Get some new bumpstops and go for some 35's. They may rub a little, but if you get 33's, you'll always say "why didn't I just get the 35's". I wouldn't even waste the money or effort on getting 15" wheels. Go ahead and pick up a set of 17" wheels that you prefer and save yourself some money in the long run. Re-gearing would definitely be recommended in my opinion, however if you do mostly highway on flat land, you may be able to swing by like I did.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Since your profile says Texas, I'm guessing that they don't really salt the roads during winter time? If they don't, I recommend the Rough Country Series 2 budget boost. It is $180 and comes with everything you need except bump stops. Adding those will probably push it to about $220ish. The pucks are steel and the powder coating isn't the greatest, so there is the potential for rust which is why I mention the salt on the roads. I've been running mine for about two years now and so far there isn't any apparent rust and it fits 35s just fine.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Agreed regarding the wheels. Don't waste your time and money on 15" wheels. There are plenty of tires available for a 17" wheel and at a reasonable price.

Lone Star

Personally if I were you, I'd start off by getting the EVO leveling kit. Get some new bumpstops and go for some 35's. They may rub a little, but if you get 33's, you'll always say "why didn't I just get the 35's".

Will they fit with just the EVO leveling, I would just have to keep it on roads though? haha that would just take all the fun out of having a Jeep. almost anyways, But then again, it's not like there's an abundant about of trails to do here in TX....... I probably wouldn't mind doing this, but the real lift would be too far down the road. I think what Eddie said about just a simple coil spacer kit might work best for me starting out. Keep the stock suspension, from what i hear its generally a better ride than most budget coil replacements anyways right? I was pretty excited to start out with the EVO leveling kit though, tempting, I have heard so many good things about the Plush Springs. :/

Lone Star

Since your profile says Texas, I'm guessing that they don't really salt the roads during winter time? If they don't, I recommend the Rough Country Series 2 budget boost. It is $180 and comes with everything you need except bump stops. Adding those will probably push it to about $220ish. The pucks are steel and the powder coating isn't the greatest, so there is the potential for rust which is why I mention the salt on the roads. I've been running mine for about two years now and so far there isn't any apparent rust and it fits 35s just fine.

Right, no we don't salt the roads, if anything they try to throw sand out I think is all it is. some places may salt, but regardless its probably not anything to worry about if they do compared to the east coast and up north. I'll take a look at the RC BB, sounds like that might be a good deal. Any particular place to look at ordering it from?

CarolinaJK

Will they fit with just the EVO leveling, I would just have to keep it on roads though? haha that would just take all the fun out of having a Jeep. almost anyways, But then again, it's not like there's an abundant about of trails to do here in TX....... I probably wouldn't mind doing this, but the real lift would be too far down the road. I think what Eddie said about just a simple coil spacer kit might work best for me starting out. Keep the stock suspension, from what i hear its generally a better ride than most budget coil replacements anyways right? I was pretty excited to start out with the EVO leveling kit though, tempting, I have heard so many good things about the Plush Springs. :/

The plush rides are definitely my favorite coil and I've ridden in quite a few Jeeps with different lift kits. You wouldn't have to keep it on road. Just put a large enough bumpstop, most likely 2". Otherwise the tires will just rub against your flares and possibly rip one off. Honestly it's probably your best bet to just talk your wife into allowing cut flares. No matter what kit you get, you'll do better with them cut.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Right, no we don't salt the roads, if anything they try to throw sand out I think is all it is. some places may salt, but regardless its probably not anything to worry about if they do compared to the east coast and up north. I'll take a look at the RC BB, sounds like that might be a good deal. Any particular place to look at ordering it from?

I bought mine from amazon,

https://www.amazon.com/Rough-Countr...24262&sr=8-1&keywords=rough+country+series+ii

looks like its $190 now.

Lone Star

Any 2.5" coil spacer kit will get the job done. Run them with shock adapters and you can do this on the cheap.

Thanks for the advice Eddie! But I am still a newb, and before i go googling, what exactly are shock adapters, and what do they do? Allow my stock shocks to still work with the added lift, by keeping the distance of travel the same or relatively close to stock?

Lone Star

Agreed regarding the wheels. Don't waste your time and money on 15" wheels. There are plenty of tires available for a 17" wheel and at a reasonable price.

Ok point taken. With a quick sreach on DTD, The tires I found are about the same price, but rims are bit more, not by a whole lot but in the end will be about even with what i was planning, and that will be saved with a simple BB. Any suggestions for budget rims with good backspacing? I like the wider stance and guess i could always add spacers later. Again hopefully with the next set of tires, i'll upgrade to slabs. Doubt i'd ever "truely" need them, but they look amazing, and love the backspacing, and would at least attempt to put them to good use in the mud and snow , and hill country we have here in TX. So for now i'm fine with some budget rims that will get the job done till then.

Thanks for your input Eddie.

Lone Star

The plush rides are definitely my favorite coil and I've ridden in quite a few Jeeps with different lift kits. You wouldn't have to keep it on road. Just put a large enough bumpstop, most likely 2". Otherwise the tires will just rub against your flares and possibly rip one off. Honestly it's probably your best bet to just talk your wife into allowing cut flares. No matter what kit you get, you'll do better with them cut.

I agree with you. I doubt i'd get her to let me, as she likes the full bumper look, like ARB, and we will have a roof rack, and 3rd row seat for kids. I just have to work around being able to do what I want off road as long as she likes the look. She doesn't like flat fenders....:/ I'll keep working on her though. haha. For me As long as I have a Jeep, and can go where I want to go, I'll be happy. :) plus as we try to go different places and Can't, she will finally start breaking down, and say "ok, you can do this, and you can do that". That's how I got the OK to get the Jeep in the first place, Drove Honda Accord, through Coronado Trail highway in Eastern arizona, we kept wanting to take the trails and park roads to see things, tried a few times, but just couldn't get 100 ft off road, She finally looked at me and said. "ok, you can trade the car in for a Jeep", been bugging her about it for a long time. :) slow and steady right?

Lone Star

What size bumpstops are needed?

USMC Wrangler

You might be able to find an extra set of factory flares pretty easy. I was in your same boat...my wife didn't understand cutting the fenders. I found a set for free, picked them up and chopped them. She gets it now.

On the bump stops, EVO kit and 33's, I didn't have any rubbing except on the lower air dam. I removed that. I do have some rubbing with the 35's and 4.5" back spacing. A set of 4 hockey pucks arrived yesterday. They were $1.99 each and I plan on using those as my bump stops.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Ok point taken. With a quick sreach on DTD, The tires I found are about the same price, but rims are bit more, not by a whole lot but in the end will be about even with what i was planning, and that will be saved with a simple BB. Any suggestions for budget rims with good backspacing? I like the wider stance and guess i could always add spacers later. Again hopefully with the next set of tires, i'll upgrade to slabs. Doubt i'd ever "truely" need them, but they look amazing, and love the backspacing, and would at least attempt to put them to good use in the mud and snow , and hill country we have here in TX. So for now i'm fine with some budget rims that will get the job done till then.

Thanks for your input Eddie.

I think, you'll probably be able to sell the 17" set up, easier than 15", when you go to the ATX wheels.

Lone Star

I think, you'll probably be able to sell the 17" set up, easier than 15", when you go to the ATX wheels.

Ok, so i went back digging to my old spreadsheet. I mixed matched some data when i replied to Eddie earlier.

15" - I've got (5) 15x8 pro comps (3.75" backspacing) and (5) Toyo MT's 35x13.5x15 Priced at $1859.90.

17" - Looking at either 315/70R17 duratracs or 35x12.5x17 Nitto M/T'sprice is only $60 difference. Looking at 17" rims cheapest that I am seeing are over $130. Maybe i just need to do more digging? but even at $100/rim, i'm over $2500 Tires alone run $2000, that's with DTD coverage as well.

So If i don't change lift till new tires and getting new rims at that point, besides resale value, is there really any disadvantages significant enough to not go with the 15" starting out? That will save me $650 roughly, where i can get , BB lift, C gussets, flashcal, bumstops, JKS quick disconnects, and CB radio set up, for less still.

Starting out budget is going to be very tight. This route would go a long ways for me. Not sure i could justify resale value for the 17" rims later? the 15's are cheap enough, they may pay for themselves in the extra money saved initially? lol that sentence may not make sense, idk. If i'm not planning on keeping the budget 17's should i spend that much more money getting them to start? Or is it really just preference? I'm all ears.

Top Bottom