10Th Anniversary Power Dome Hood

Ddays

Hooked
Since I can't seem to leave well enough alone and can never seem to be satisfied, (I own a Jeep after all), I've recently been looking into the aftermarket & Mopar 10th anniv Power Dome Hoods.
Let's assume that the the Mopar hood doesn't really have a downside besides cost. Anyone have any experience with the aftermarket versions? Fit & overall quality compared to Mopar?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Someone on here recently installed the smittybuilt version and the fitment looked spot on and for a couple hundred bucks cheaper. They posted a thread about it

zimm

Caught the Bug
I did the Mopar version from the dealer. Glad I didn't mail order it because the second the body shop guy put it on the stand, he's like "yup, she's bent". The corner at the cowl had a kink in it. I took it back, they got me another one the next day. That one came out good. The body shop said almost half of factory parts are jacked up someway when they show up. So again, glad I didn't mail order it. I got it for $750, then $500 for paint and install. way cheaper than the $5k hard rock edition, and I didn't want those bumpers anyway. The mopar kit has everything but the shorter windshield snubbers.

IMG_3480_zpsjbfuxgwn.jpg

Last edited:

TonyT

Caught the Bug
The Smittybilt is a nice looking hood, but in my opinion its only cause they've gotten better at taking another company's work and released something of their own. I'd still do the Mopar hood at the extra cost just so I wasn't supporting their chit.

Last edited:

Coop

Caught the Bug
The Smittybilt is a nice looking hood, but in my opinion its only cause they've gotten better at taking another company's work and released something of their own. I'd still do the Mopar hood at the extra cost just so I wasn't supporting their chit.
Its the same hood made in the same plant in Taiwan. This plant also makes most of Dynacorn's body parts. The Mopar and the Smittybilt hoods are not US products.

Ddays

Hooked
Its the same hood made in the same plant in Taiwan. This plant also makes most of Dynacorn's body parts. The Mopar and the Smittybilt hoods are not US products.

And that is what I was looking for and feared. I'm not paying that extra for the same damn part but the box it comes in has a big blue M on it.
The Smittybilt is $599 with free shipping and includes the nozzles, insulation & the vents. That's hard to beat.

Jackal01

And that is what I was looking for and feared. I'm not paying that extra for the same damn part but the box it comes in has a big blue M on it.
The Smittybilt is $599 with free shipping and includes the nozzles, insulation & the vents. That's hard to beat.

Have you priced out what painting would cost? Of course there is a range...just wondering what prices are out there. Also, is it easy enough to self-install or does it "require" a pro?

Coop

Caught the Bug
My thoughts exactly!
$300 - 400 or so for paint and easy install. The price difference helps pay for the paint.

zimm

Caught the Bug
I was quoted $500 for paint from two higher end body shops that the dealers send wrecked cars to get fixed. A smaller shop might be cheaper. I think $100 of that was install. Because I was by myself, it was easier to have them put it on, line it up, and swap over the hardware.

jeeeep

Hooked

mopar offers that hood under 2 different part numbers, one has all the parts same as above and last time i checked it was about $125 more but free shipping through stevewhiteparts...all the painting qoutes i've received have been in the $500 range

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug

Quite often in those circumstances the main company sets a quality standard and licences the rejects to another company to sell at a lower price point. So the may be the same part from the same factory but you can bet the mopar one fits better than the smittybilt. As demonstrated by the fitment issue in the other 10A hood thread.

Coop

Caught the Bug
Quite often in those circumstances the main company sets a quality standard and licences the rejects to another company to sell at a lower price point. So the may be the same part from the same factory but you can bet the mopar one fits better than the smittybilt. As demonstrated by the fitment issue in the other 10A hood thread.
Agreed, but I've seen both up close and I can't see a difference. I looked closely at two of the Smittybilts this past weekend and there were no fitment issues. Made the decision for me real easy.

Top Bottom