New Shocks for Pappy - Rancho RS5000

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Not as if there's a whole lot you can do to soften up the ride of an old leaf sprung Willys CJ3B but I figured running a set of shocks that actually work might help to smooth things out. At least, I knew one of the old factory style shocks on Pappy was bad for sure as it was sticking and the other three had clearly seen better days. Needless to say, I decided to pick up a set of new Rancho RS5000 as they were affordable, available for as a direct fit on and of course, they were very affordable. Below are a few shots that I took that highlight what it takes to swap out shocks on an old school Jeep.

Here's a shot of the new Rancho RS5000 shocks that I got for Pappy. I also got a generic steering stabilizer kit and hope to get it installed sometime too.
main.php

If you can believe it, back in the day, shocks were just mounted and held in place with washers and cotter pins. Here you can see me using a pair of pliers to remove the cotter pin from the upper frame mount.
main.php

And here I am removing the cotter pin from the axle mount.
main.php

With the cotter pins pulled, the bushing washers can be removed as well.
main.php

And now the old shock can be pulled from it's mounts.
main.php

Here's a shot of what a new Rancho RS5000 shock looks like next to the old factory style shock.
main.php

Time to install the new Rancho RS5000 shock onto the upper frame mount.
main.php

Because the new Rancho RS5000's are gas charged, some effort is needed to compress the shock in order to get installed on the axle mount.
main.php

With the new Rancho RS5000 shock installed onto both mounts, bushing washers can now be placed onto the studs and everything can be secured in place with a cotter pin.
main.php

Here's a couple of shots that show what the front shocks look like installed.
main.php

main.php

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
That's really a weird set up with the cotter pin and washer! Really cool to see tho! The new white rancho shocks look good against pappy's orange paint!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sweet upgrade. Did it pas the seat test?

As a matter of fact, they made quite a difference. Like I said earlier, you can't really help soften up the ride of an old leaf sprung Willys CJ3B but the new shocks do a great job of absorbing bumps and smoothing them out. Essentially, they help take out the bounciness. I'm really quite pleased with the upgrade :yup:

swampdog

As a matter of fact, they made quite a difference. Like I said earlier, you can't really help soften up the ride of an old leaf sprung Willys CJ3B but the new shocks do a great job of absorbing bumps and smoothing them out. Essentially, they help take out the bounciness. I'm really quite pleased with the upgrade :yup:

Awesome to hear. This is an awesome pony to have in the stable.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Love Pappy! I have the RS5000x on mine, and in my opinion, they ride much better than stock shocks.

r2fasani

Great write up and explanation of the old setup. Really cool to see how the old iron is designed and works. I love the white shocks on Pappy - they match the wheels!

WJCO

Meme King
Cool to see. Glad to see I'm not the only one who re-uses cotter pins every now and then.

JKbrick

Is the third leaf down the main leaf somehow, or why is it thicker than the other 10 leaves? The larger diameter shock looks close to hitting the spring

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I see you've been busy. Those shocks look great on pappy. I bet he rides great too!

LOL!! Well, he rides "better" than before and really "nice" for being an leaf sprung Willys that's over 60 years old but he's far from riding like Moby :crazyeyes:

Cool to see. Glad to see I'm not the only one who re-uses cotter pins every now and then.

:cheesy: Busted. I did use new cotter pins as were needed but a few were in good enough condition that I did in fact reuse a few :blush: :D

Is the third leaf down the main leaf somehow, or why is it thicker than the other 10 leaves? The larger diameter shock looks close to hitting the spring

Yes, the 3rd leaf in the pack is thicker and my best guess for this is for adding strength.

Top Bottom