Warning over Hacking the UConnect System

gheller

Wow, that sucks! I never thought I'd see the day people could steal my Wrangler with a laptop!

Yeah, it's becoming a problem with the advanced software and apps included with all these new vehicles. Even if you don't have a remote start on your Keyfob, it's built into the software that can be accessed remotely.
It's apparent for now that the old steering wheel "Club" is as useful as it was back in the day.....

Btw, I dig your screen name. Also, that is a great signature. So true and makes perfect sense.

Last edited:

JeepFan

Hooked
Like all vehicles with a canbus computer system, its security by obscurity...if you don't don't know how to hack it, it's secure.

There is NO security built into vehicle computer systems. Don't expect that to change any time soon! :)

JeepFan

Hooked
It turns out that it wasn't the Uconnect system after all.
They got access to the dealer key fob code software and they were programming blank keyfobs to start the vehicles. This is way worse than the Uconnect system issues because it wouldn't matter if the can us system was secure or not.

This is the link to an updated article:

Laptop-Using Car Theft Ring Busted In Houston https://consumerist.com/2016/08/05/laptop-using-car-theft-ring-busted-in-houston/

The most interesting thing about the guy that got busted is FCA wants to know how their totally insecure system got hacked.

I bet the guy said "Duh"! Lol.

JeepJeep75

Fuck yea they are! Unauthorized use of a motor vehicle?! What the fuck is that anyways?!? Sounds like a simple misdemeanor, aka, slap on the wrist! Bleh!

Petzl88

That is nuts! This is good to know. I will just have to carry a laptop with me from now on and when I see a Jeep that is built more than mine, I will just perform a trade right there! Hahaha.

gheller

It turns out that it wasn't the Uconnect system after all.
They got access to the dealer key fob code software and they were programming blank keyfobs to start the vehicles. This is way worse than the Uconnect system issues because it wouldn't matter if the can us system was secure or not.

This is the link to an updated article:

Laptop-Using Car Theft Ring Busted In Houston https://consumerist.com/2016/08/05/laptop-using-car-theft-ring-busted-in-houston/

Well that allows FC to wipe the sweat off their brow for the time being since it wasn't the Uconnect system being hacked but that still shows how vulnerable much of this is to an employee deciding to sell their access info or even be a part of the ring.

Modit

It's apparent for now that the old steering wheel "Club" is as useful as it was back in the day.

Yup, it buys you about 15 seconds worth of security.
The bottom line is the same as its always been. If they want it bad enough they're gonna get it. Software, hardware, security systems, none of that matters.
I get good insurance with a deductible that's not going to break me when it happens to me. I take all that money that I would have spent on all that security crap and tuck it away in my safe to cover my deductible. And then I don't worry about it.
The day it happens is still going to suck, the only difference is all the worry free days I get between now and then.

Brute

Hooked
You can always wire in a kill switch in an obscure place in the cab...no juice to the starter (or anywhere, for that matter)...I've just had that wired into my new build...both for security and to shut everything down in case of a roll over...

Top Bottom