Bump stops and/or brake lines

Kalums

Ok so about a year ago I installed the Evo leveling kit (amazing, love it) with the stock Rubicon shocks(the red ones) , in the last few weeks I've noticed the rear of my Jeep seemed spongy /springy when going over speed bumps /my driveway curb etc. Found out I blew out my rear shock on the driver side(fluid all down the shock body and if you compress it, it does not recover to extended length) so I ordered some of the new 5000x(rs55330 to be exact) Ranchos and installed last night. I noticed while I was under there that when I lifted the the body on my floor jack and let the axle droop, that the brake lines were almost completely taught (not like guitar string tight, but a lot more than I expected) but it did not unseat the coils. Do I need new brake lines or would the extention brackets work just fine? Also I was wondering if /and what size bump stop extention I need in the back for the leveling kit, I thought maybe a 1" but I'll be danged if I can find one. I don't want to kill the new shocks before I get a chance to use them. 😆 Thx in advance.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Ok so about a year ago I installed the Evo leveling kit (amazing, love it) with the stock Rubicon shocks(the red ones) , in the last few weeks I've noticed the rear of my Jeep seemed spongy /springy when going over speed bumps /my driveway curb etc. Found out I blew out my rear shock on the driver side(fluid all down the shock body and if you compress it, it does not recover to extended length) so I ordered some of the new 5000x(rs55330 to be exact) Ranchos and installed last night. I noticed while I was under there that when I lifted the the body on my floor jack and let the axle droop, that the brake lines were almost completely taught (not like guitar string tight, but a lot more than I expected) but it did not unseat the coils. Do I need new brake lines or would the extention brackets work just fine? Also I was wondering if /and what size bump stop extention I need in the back for the leveling kit, I thought maybe a 1" but I'll be danged if I can find one. I don't want to kill the new shocks before I get a chance to use them. [emoji38] Thx in advance.

An extension bracket would work just fine. No need to get longer brake lines until you totally need it. As far as bump stops go yes a 1" bump (like a hockey puck) would work perfectly for the rear as well as the front

Kalums

An extension bracket would work just fine. No need to get longer brake lines until you totally need it. As far as bump stops go yes a 1" bump (like a hockey puck) would work perfectly for the rear as well as the front

But where can I find them? I've been looking for them and for the life of me all I can find in the aluminum JKS ones but that would require me to dill a hole.
Edit: I actually ended up with exactly 2" of lift on the front( no after market bumper... Yet)

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

Kalums

Haha fair enough, thx for the info, how well did the puck stand up to tapping the holes? Or how did you install?

JKbrick

I think you will have to drill a hole for any bump stop but I could be wrong, the ones you mount to the axle at least

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I think you will have to drill a hole for any bump stop but I could be wrong, the ones you mount to the axle at least
Negative. Most come pre drilled

Haha fair enough, thx for the info, how well did the puck stand up to tapping the holes? Or how did you install?

Very well. Only need a hole big enough for a small bolt to go thru and they are big so they do just fine. If they do fall apart for some reason they are cheap enough that it doesn't matter

Kalums

Negative. Most come pre drilled

Very well. Only need a hole big enough for a small bolt to go thru and they are big so they do just fine. If they do fall apart for some reason they are cheap enough that it doesn't matter

Well that's awesome thank you for the info.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
I thought I had to drilł the hole in my axle but it's been 3 years, bad memory sucks

You do on the front but he's talking about the rear. I think you would still need to drill a hole if you used a hockey puck as there is only a hole on each end of the axle pad.

I just used a piece of 1" x 3" 1/4 wall scrap cut to length and drilled to match the axle.

JKbrick

You do on the front but he's talking about the rear. I think you would still need to drill a hole if you used a hockey puck as there is only a hole on each end of the axle pad.

I just used a piece of 1" x 3" 1/4 wall scrap cut to length and drilled to match the axle.

You guys are exactly right, sorry for the bad info. I missed he said rear end

Kalums

I have some 1x4 (1/4"wall) aluminum tubing I think I will just cut it to length, paint and mount to the lower mounts on my rear axle.

Top Bottom