Evo Flip Kit advice

tharb5111

I have found my front drag link joint on the knuckle is popping and loose when I checked it. Time to replace. However here is my issue.

I have a Mopar 2 inch lift (new fox kit that came in the box with drive shaft included).

The actual measured lift is about 3 inches increase over stock (stock 9 and 3/8 at perches, after mopar install nearly 12 inches between spring perches).

Since I am right at that threshold, and I notice a bit of bumpsteer, I am wondering if I would benefit from the flip kit?

My Mopar kit cam with 2 inch bump stops front and rear. The evo kit calls for 3 inch bump stops. Hmmm. is this a lot of lost uptravel to be concerned about? If I add evo 3 inch springs too are they closer to 3 or 4 inches of actual lift height to offset lost uptravel?

My alternative is to simply order a new mopar or crown drag link assembly and just live with the slight bumpsteer I have with this lift.

Any advice would help.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Your still low enough where you can't really add it without adding more bump to the passenger side unfortunately. Do you have adjustable front lowers installed? Fixing your caster a bit should help with the bump steer as well

tharb5111

The flip kit is really up to you, but if you do it, make sure you use a 13/16 bit, not a 7/8.

Ok thanks. I noticed the bit size listed different on the evo instructions vs the wol writeup I think. Wondered about that. Thanks for clarifying. Still not sure if losing the 1 inch uptravel by switching from 2 inch bumps to 3 inch bumps is worth the flip kit. Bumpsteer is noticeable over rough highway spots and uneven roads. Not horrible but bad enough to make you clinch the wheel a bit more. Would be nice to make that go away.

I checked ball joints. They are still good with 39k on them.

Wheel bearing seem tight and sound good when freely spun. Although I have a set of Timkens in the garage waiting when the time comes.

Only problem is my drag link is trashed. So I am at a crossroads and still undecided.

Go cheap and get a crown replacement draglink and move on. Or evolve in hopes of better, less bumpsteer and install the evo flip kit that gets me better geometry.

Hmmmm.

tharb5111

Your still low enough where you can't really add it without adding more bump to the passenger side unfortunately. Do you have adjustable front lowers installed? Fixing your caster a bit should help with the bump steer as well

Yes I have a set of Currie adjustable lowers. They are dialed in to 4*.

GregMort13

Caught the Bug
Ok thanks. I noticed the bit size listed different on the evo instructions vs the wol writeup I think. Wondered about that. Thanks for clarifying. Still not sure if losing the 1 inch uptravel by switching from 2 inch bumps to 3 inch bumps is worth the flip kit. Bumpsteer is noticeable over rough highway spots and uneven roads. Not horrible but bad enough to make you clinch the wheel a bit more. Would be nice to make that go away.

I checked ball joints. They are still good with 39k on them.

Wheel bearing seem tight and sound good when freely spun. Although I have a set of Timkens in the garage waiting when the time comes.

Only problem is my drag link is trashed. So I am at a crossroads and still undecided.

Go cheap and get a crown replacement draglink and move on. Or evolve in hopes of better, less bumpsteer and install the evo flip kit that gets me better geometry.

Hmmmm.

If your just worried about your draglink, you can usually find another stock one on craigslist for cheap. If not i think i actually have one sitting in my shed id part with.

tharb5111

Flipped drag link will contact frame on passenger side at full stuff.

So if I do it I need to add the 3 inch bumpstops then. I guess I could add the 3 inch springs from evo too at some point. But I'm not sure they are any longer than the 2 inch springs I got from Mopar fox lift. I gave me 3 inches of total lift over stock. But for some odd reason they included only 2 inch front and rear bump stops.

tharb5111

If your just worried about your draglink, you can usually find another stock one on craigslist for cheap. If not i think i actually have one sitting in my shed id part with.

thanks man. I may take you up on that if I decide to go that way. still mulling it over.

tharb5111

The bump steer could be from your busted draglink so replacing it with a stock one could fix both.

I kinda thought so too but wasn't sure. So I went ahead and ordered a new crown drag link today after all. Will install and see how much it tightens up the steering.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
So if I do it I need to add the 3 inch bumpstops then. I guess I could add the 3 inch springs from evo too at some point. But I'm not sure they are any longer than the 2 inch springs I got from Mopar fox lift. I gave me 3 inches of total lift over stock. But for some odd reason they included only 2 inch front and rear bump stops.

2" is the advertised height which is why you got 2" bumps. Since your jeeps seems to be on the lighter side of things you got about 3" of actual lift. If you were to swap to the Evo plush rides and didn't change anything else on your jeep you would see the same thing happen where you would get a little more than 3" of lift

Rottenbelly

Just remember if you do the drag link flip you have to raise the trackbar also.
That doesn't leave much uptravel on that side before stuff starts making contact with the frame.
I wouldn't recommend it unless you have 3.5 or more lift.

Top Bottom