WTF is wrong with people?

Modit

I was out running some errands and I pulled into my neighborhood and there's a guy waving at me as I go by the house on the corner at the entrance to the neighborhood. I waved back as I passed by and my girlfriend said she thought he might be trying to flag us down. I turned around and went back and it turned out he needed a jump which I was happy to help with.
Now here's the WTF part. I said "man I passed you by because it looked like you were just waving at me instead of flagging me down." He said "Yeah, I was kind of getting tired of asking for help. I already asked 5 of my neighbors and they said they were too busy!" WTF!? It literally took about 30 seconds because he already had the jumper cables ready.
People around here will wait in line for 10 minutes for an overpriced cup of coffee but won't take 30 seconds to help someone in need.

Journeyman

Yup people are really starting to suck. That type of crap is one of the biggest reasons my fiancé and I moved up to the mountains away from people! There's just simply to many people and to much darkness and negativity getting passed around like it's a disease.

OJK12

Wow! That's pretty pathetic right there! At least you showed him not everyone is wasting oxygen.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Years ago I got into my car in a parking lot and it would not start. I had some cables in my car and noticed a guy sitting in his. I went over there and asked politely if he could give me a jump. He said hell no I am not going to mess my car up for that. I was like dumb struck. WTF?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Good things happen to good people. Good job on being a helpful neighbor unlike the other wastes of oxygen

sipafz

Caught the Bug

I'm a believer of karma both good and bad. The good stuff should be coming your way!

rogerk93

I was in a situation like this a long time ago, my truck battery died (not my jeep) in a parking lot and nobody wanted to help because they didn't have the time or didn't want to "damage" their cars. I was truly disgusted knowing people can just not help someone and be fine with it but thankfully a guy actually helped me push my truck in order for him to get room to move his car in front of mine and jump it. Awesome job helping out.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
A few years ago we passed an elderly lady who had a flat on her car. It was obvious she had a flat and due to the road, she barely was able to get the car out of the lane. We passed her and turned around and went back. She had been there for over 30 minutes and not one person had stopped to help her. It was on a main highway also so there had been a lot of cars that passed. I put her donut on and ended up having to take it back off, run it about 10 miles to a town to get air and go back. She tried to pay me and I wouldn't take it, I asked her if she needed to call anybody as she didn't have a cell phone. She broke down and started crying, said there was no one to call. It was just her. We stood there on the side of the road for 30 minutes at least just talking. She ended up knowing my grandparents and even called my grandma and told her that I stopped and helped her when no one else did.

I always try to stop and help if possible. I've been there when no one would. It's sad that a lot of people won't these days.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
It's not just Vegas, it's everywhere. All you can do is try to be better than that, and teach your kids to be patient and helpful.

Last edited:
What's sad is that if you DO try to help, there's the very real possibility that you can get sued. Today's litigious culture makes me think very hard about lending a hand. I tried to help change a tire for some lady in Philly. One of the lug nuts had been cross threaded with an impact gun. I rounded it off trying to remove it with a 36" breaker bar. When I couldn't make it work. She got really angry. Ultimately she was pissed at the shop but I was the one right there to yell at. I packed up my tools and left. Fuck that!

I tell my wife never to ask for or take help from anyone. They might be some deviant scumbag who sees someone in a vulnerable situation and tries to take advantage of it. I tell her to call the insurance company and have them send out a tow truck. We pay for that service. Use it.

I had a couple of fuckbags shuffle up behind me while I was making a roadside repair of my shift linkage in a not so nice part (didn't realize it at the time. And it was broad daylight too) of Albuquerque. I had the center console of my old Saturn off and was safety wiring the shift linkage back to the shifter. So my back was to everything and I'm guessing I looked like a nice target. I heard them coming and glanced to see what the situation was as I instinctively placed my hand on my pistol which was on the passenger seat. They slithered away with haste. The point is not everyone is there to help. And that is part of WTF is wrong with people.

Mtb275

I had one just the other day. This wasn't a break down, it was an accident. I'll try to shorten the story up. I was driving to work early morning, 5:30 or so. I drive up Highway 99, three lanes each direction and traffic moves at 75+mph.

There wasn't too much traffic. I could see a half mile or more in front of me. I could see traffic in lanes 2 and 3 swerving. And they all keep driving, not even slowing down. I figured something was in the road. I slowed down as I got closer, it was a car! The car was totaled. There was a large gap with no cars, so I tried to swerving across all three lanes to get people attention, similar to a CHP traffic break. As I approached the car, it was totaled and the guy was still in the front see bloody and hunched over the steering wheel. The car was on the lane line between 2 and 3. I pulled over well off the road and put of the way of swerving traffic.

All the cars on the freeway continued driving at 70+ swerving around this car. There was no way I could go help the guy without possible getting hit by a car. They guy in the car got it together and stumbled out of his car. I thought I was going to witness someone get struck by a car. He was staggering around in the freeway and cars were swerving around him. I continued to yell at him to get him to come my way. He finally did and I got him to sit down on the side of the road. At that point, traffic was still flying by, but one other person did stop.

It was a couple more minutes and the CHP arrived. Then when he did his traffic stop, he almost got hit by a semi that didn't want to stop. And then another car rear ended another car that almost hit the CHP's car.

It was a crazy morning. And yes, people are starting to suck.

Ddays

Hooked
All the cars on the freeway continued driving at 70+ swerving around this car.
It was a couple more minutes and the CHP arrived. Then when he did his traffic stop, he almost got hit by a semi that didn't want to stop. And then another car rear ended another car that almost hit the CHP's car.

And those idiots were probably talking on their phone, checking their e-mail, texting, or looking for fucking Pokemon. I saw some goddam asshole eating a bowl of cereal steering with his knees on his way to work a couple years ago. I wanted to swerve at him just to see him drop his bowl in his lap....

A lot of the problems these days are that people are oblivious to their surroundings. They don't even realize what is happening around them they are so absorbed in the technology entertaining them as they go to the mall or work. And I would venture that over 50% of the people out there don't even have any idea how to change a tire or jump a car.

If the situation looks safe I will stop. If it's sketchy I will call 911 & let the State or local police know of a breakdown or such so they can safely deal with it.

Wavesport

Good on you for stopping! I agree with one of the earlier posts that you and your girlfriend have some good karma coming your way!

I live in Canada and have really noticed the last five years or so people seem to be "too busy" to help others out. It's a shame really as we should all be pulling together these days.

My wife and I talked about this last summer and felt we could do more for people so we signed up as curling coaches and now train athletes for the Special Olympics. It's one of the most rewarding things I have ever done. We have twins on the way and our kids will always be taught to help others, especially those who cannot help themselves.

MKorn

Glad to hear you helped.
The sad thing is, that asking for help has become a way to get people off their guard, so they can be taken advantage of.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Well that's the world we live in. Domestic terror attacks, cops being shot while standing at a protest, take your pick. People are fucked up and make others live their lives in fear.

Kalums

Along the route of WTF is wrong with ppl if anyone ever sees a stroller or car seat with what appears to be a child inside, DO NOT STOP TO INVESTIGATE! Call the police, 911,fire, whoever it has been going on for a few years. Ppl (like gang members) will place the car seat(s) as a decoy and when someone stops to help, they jump out beat them up and steal the vehicle. If it was a female they have been "assaulted" then beaten.

Gadget

Caught the Bug
Those guys need to be removed from the gene pool immediately, shoot them in the head on the spot and toss them in a dumpster full of old fish and tampons.

Top Bottom