Painting

I have a Crawler Conceptz body mounted tire carrier on its way and I gotta paint it and in the future, I will have front and rear bumpers to paint. I want to just do rattle can so I can easily do touch-ups.. My question to you guys is, do I need to sand the bare metal? Or put a primer on? Or will black textured rustoleum spray paint work? Thanks!

CCTX50

I have a Crawler Conceptz body mounted tire carrier on its way and I gotta paint it and in the future, I will have front and rear bumpers to paint. I want to just do rattle can so I can easily do touch-ups.. My question to you guys is, do I need to sand the bare metal? Or put a primer on? Or will black textured rustoleum spray paint work? Thanks!

I have seen others use self etching primer prior to painting. I am sure others will jump in here and give you some good ideas.

Rottenbelly

Self etching primer first after a good wipe down with acetone.
I use the tractor supply farm paint. It seems to hold up alot better than the rustOleam.
But I have used the textured rustOleam and noticed after a few years it seems to fade. Not a problem on something you can touch up easy though.

Azzi

Another option for primer is high build primer..... Helps to hide any little imperfections in the raw bumper.
You can get it at any of your local auto parts stores or even WalMart.

scull20

I hit my skins and sliders with a wire wheel on an angle grinder to get rid of surface rust and whatnot. Then wiped clean with acetone and applied VHT roll bar and chassis paint. Holds up very well and easy to touch up.

JeepJeep75

I went with self-etching primer and the textured Rustolium. Before that though I went over my sliders with a flap-wheel grinder to smooth the weld spatter and some other sharp edges. Don't over do it though. Some paint was chipped off during installation, even after letting the paint cure for a week outside. Chips and scuffs are going to happen.

JAGS

Hooked
Just my two cents. I would not use bedliner. It has that gritty/sand texture, which sure is durable, but it also create nice little nooks and places for dirt to stick.

Clean all bare metal with brake cleaner. Wipe surface clean. I used an automotive primer (self etching is also the way to go with bare steel) and then either rustoleam pro enamel or the VHT roll bar paint. I'm pretty much using only the VHT now as I like its Satin finish. It's not as cheap as the Pro enamel though.

Ddays

Hooked
Another question I have is how many cans will i need/ how many coats do you guys put on?

Get 2 self etching primer and 4 paint, but keep your receipt so you can return what you don't use.. Worse thing ever is running out of paint halfway through the process....

caminton

Get 2 self etching primer and 4 paint, but keep your receipt so you can return what you don't use.. Worse thing ever is running out of paint halfway through the process....

This, but keep what you don't use for touch ups/future projects. You can tell yourself all you want that you'll remember exactly what you got, but I promise you won't lol

swampdog

And buy one of those $3 plastic handles for the spray cans! You won't believe in the difference it makes in the finished product. It was a game changer for me.

Ddays

Hooked
No, this stuff is an olive drab color. Any automotive store should have it, be it a NAPA, O'Reillys, Autozone, etc...

Forgot - Rustoleum makes a good primer as well...Wallyworld might have it?

020066188658.jpg

Top Bottom