Best half door option

jeeper52

LOSER
Looking to hear what some good options are for half doors other than dropping 4k on mopars. Looking for something that i can match my factory paint and add windows to as well that work with most soft tops. Aslo would like the option to lock the doors and find a set that doesn't rattle and make a ton of noise if possible. Let me know what you guys are running and what they cost. Thanks.

Napalm

Rugged Ridge are a pretty popular aftermarket door option. They will run you about $2500 give or take for a set with uppers, unpainted.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Looking to hear what some good options are for half doors other than dropping 4k on mopars. Looking for something that i can match my factory paint and add windows to as well that work with most soft tops. Aslo would like the option to lock the doors and find a set that doesn't rattle and make a ton of noise if possible. Let me know what you guys are running and what they cost. Thanks.

Rugged ridge is your next best option. Wayalife runs them on both moby and rubicat and they look amazing

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So long as you make sure to adjust them, they will not rattle. As far as weather tight goes, the lowers are for sure but the uppers are only if you install the velcro strips on the doors. I chose not to as it looks nasty when the uppers are off. Also, In strong winds, the upper will pull open like an old school soft door. The factory uppers are a lot more rigid but even they can leak a bit - trust me, I got to test one out for a period of time. What I LOVE most about the Rugged Ridge doors is that they are super light - something like 14 lbs. and that's considerably less than even the factory half doors which are still made out of steel. Also, when you hit them with rocks, they will bend in as opposed to crushing - ask me how I know.

jeeper52

LOSER
So long as you make sure to adjust them, they will not rattle. As far as weather tight goes, the lowers are for sure but the uppers are only if you install the velcro strips on the doors. I chose not to as it looks nasty when the uppers are off. Also, In strong winds, the upper will pull open like an old school soft door. The factory uppers are a lot more rigid but even they can leak a bit - trust me, I got to test one out for a period of time. What I LOVE most about the Rugged Ridge doors is that they are super light - something like 14 lbs. and that's considerably less than even the factory half doors which are still made out of steel. Also, when you hit them with rocks, they will bend in as opposed to crushing - ask me how I know.

Thanks for the reply. If i went with the rugged ridge doors would it be better to go with the mopar uppers or would they not fit?

jeeper52

LOSER
Also does anyone have any experience with the jcr aluminium half doors? Looks like $1000 for the set of four i think. Seems reasonable but unsure of the quality for that price.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the reply. If i went with the rugged ridge doors would it be better to go with the mopar uppers or would they not fit?

They would not fit. The Mopar doors are made specifically to work together just as the Rugged Ridge doors are. If you're that concerned with a weather tight fit, I would run full steel doors. There has NEVER been a half door I have run or tested that is as weather proof as full doors - PERIOD.

JKRicky

Also does anyone have any experience with the jcr aluminium half doors? Looks like $1000 for the set of four i think. Seems reasonable but unsure of the quality for that price.

I'll let you know, mine should be here in about a week. Was $900 shipped so figured I'd give them a shot.

mastrcruse

Anyone run the savvy doors? I see several people around here run them and they seem to work out well. Rugged seem to be one of the most popular.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Rugged is one of the most popular because they look factory inside and out, they are available with soft uppers, they are extremely light weight, they are rattle free and are somewhat flexible/won't crush if you hit them. This is something I have tested.

jasont0311

Caught the Bug
I'm running saavy. So far I'm happy. The install was a pain because you have to put 15,000 bolts together. They do rattle if you don't adjust them properly. And it goes without saying, not weather proof.

Attachments

• 1470669953955.jpg
    1470669953955.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 364

cartertripp

I like the savvy half doors but I feel like they need to have a little more design for the interior part of the door like the rugged ridge and the mopar doors.

CarolinaJK

I've seen a few different types of half doors on JK's. I have to say Rugged looked to be the most complete besides Mopar.

I've got the bestop element doors with enclosures, but only for the rear. The one thing I like about the savvy is how the top edge is angled and transitions into the tub line of the jeep. The element doors do not.

LurancJK

I run the bestop element setup. I added more weather stripping than was included and ive driven through storms and they only leak a little, not enough for me to care. They look good and dont rattle. Cant beat the price either

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1470678572.702393.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1470678653.689194.jpg

jasont0311

Caught the Bug
I like the savvy half doors but I feel like they need to have a little more design for the interior part of the door like the rugged ridge and the mopar doors.

You're 100% right about that. I was a little surprised when I saw the inside. It takes people a sec to figure out how to get out.

jkuone

You're 100% right about that. I was a little surprised when I saw the inside. It takes people a sec to figure out how to get out.

I've talked to Martin several times about when he's coming out with inside door panels. A lot of R&D but I think it's in the works.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Here are some shots of what the Rugged Ridge half doors look like with the soft uppers installed.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here are a few shots that show just how factory they look from the inside.

main.php

main.php

main.php

And, for those of you who are interested, here's a link to a write-up I did for the Rugged Ridge half doors.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...-Doors-Installation-Write-Up-Jeep-JK-Wrangler

Top Bottom