Axle Painting

Mikecal9985

Hey guys!!! I was wondering if anyone has painted their axles with some kind of rattle can paint. I don't plan on taking them off, just painting them under my jk. If anyone has any info on how you went about doing this, please let me know. What paint did you use and what prep was done. Thank guys!!!

swampdog

I just wire brush any visible rust, and hit it with Rustoleum black. Lasts for about 6 months before its time to do it again.

madstiles

Myself was wire brush, pressure wash, acetone, rustoleom primer and paint. Still looks good 7 months later

CarolinaJK

I do the same as above! Scrub the rust off with a wire brush and sand paper. Wash them off and let them dry. Primer and black spray paint!

Rottenbelly

Just did mine recently. Wire wheeled them then wiped with acetone. I use the tractor paint from tractor supply.
I have used it for years on projects and it seems more durable than rustoleam.

10abadilla/jk

Quick question. He states that he does not plan to take the axles off. Did any of you leave them on while painting them?

Rottenbelly

Quick question. He states that he does not plan to take the axles off. Did any of you leave them on while painting them?

You can, I have sprayed some others on the jeep. I use a small piece of cardboard that I can hold up to block over spray and tape where needed.

Last edited:

mdrums

When I bought my Jeep first thing I did was spray paint the axles and other black suspension parts. A lot of these parts seemed to have a thin coat of,paint to no paint. I taped,off parts I didn't want to paint like rubber grommets and boots.

So far zero rust on axels and other parts.

Buster3479

I just re-did my PR44 front with Tractor Supply Gloss Black Tractor rattle can. While i sprays easy and looks good, I'm less than happy with the results. It seems to have dried over the last 2 weeks to a softer finish than I'd have from Rusto, almost plastic like or rubbery. Perhaps I had a few bad cans, or bad conditions. I spent a lot of time on prep work, and am pretty sure the finish coat won't last long.

Next time I'll either try to spray the quart with mixed in hardener, or just go back to using Rusto rattle cans.

Rottenbelly

I just re-did my PR44 front with Tractor Supply Gloss Black Tractor rattle can. While i sprays easy and looks good, I'm less than happy with the results. It seems to have dried over the last 2 weeks to a softer finish than I'd have from Rusto, almost plastic like or rubbery. Perhaps I had a few bad cans, or bad conditions. I spent a lot of time on prep work, and am pretty sure the finish coat won't last long.

Next time I'll either try to spray the quart with mixed in hardener, or just go back to using Rusto rattle cans.

Yeah, that sounds weird. Was the humidity high after you painted it? That can make it seem softer.
The reason I've always used the tractor paint is it seems to be harder when it's dry. Almost like it has a harder in it.

Top Bottom