Power Issues

kttx740

Over the past few months I've noticed the following....
  1. Right turn signal doesn't work - I've checked fuses and replaced bulbs
  2. Interior lights do not turn on using switch on steering column - does work when the doors are open
  3. Dash lights super dim - will not get brighter when using the control on the steering column

Here's what I've done so far: replaced battery, tested alternator, and checked fuses.

I am lost at this point. Does the ECU need to be replaced? Anyone else have this problem? I have a 2007 JKU w/ 145,000 miles :idontknow:

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
  2. Interior lights do not turn on using switch on steering column - does work when the doors are open
  3. Dash lights super dim - will not get brighter when using the control on the steering column

Here's what I've done so far: replaced battery, tested alternator, and checked fuses.

I am lost at this point. Does the ECU need to be replaced? Anyone else have this problem? I have a 2007 JKU w/ 145,000 miles :idontknow:

Problem with the switch itself, on the stem?

jeeeep

Hooked

I've seen those issues on several Jeeps, it's usually the clock spring, what year is your Jeep? a recall is out on the clock spring 2007-2010

kttx740

I've seen those issues on several Jeeps, it's usually the clock spring, what year is your Jeep? a recall is out on the clock spring 2007-2010

I had the clock spring replaced a few years ago. There is a recall for an airbag issues (NHTSA 16V-352) however the parts to resolve the issue are currently unavailable. Could that be related?

Normally I wouldn't sweat it, but I have a safety inspection next month and a faulty turn signal will result in a failure. Kind on stuck holding myself until parts come in I guess.

Last edited:

kttx740

Would both stem switches go back? Plus a dimming issue on the dash?

I'll check the voltage where I can. The washer fluid isn't coming out as strong either, which makes me think the pump isn't receiving the correct voltage.

jeeeep

Hooked
I had the clock spring replaced a few years ago. There is a recall for an airbag issues (NHTSA 16V-352) however the parts to resolve the issue are currently unavailable. Could that be related?

Normally I wouldn't sweat it, but I have a safety inspection next month and a faulty turn signal will result in a failure. Kind on stuck holding myself until parts come in I guess.

actually there are 2 recalls that came out within a couple of weeks of each other, clock spring and air bag inflator, clock spring was issued before the air bag

I'd call the dealer, maybe they'll do the inspection knowing the clock spring recall is in place

if you have your clock spring repair receipts you might be able to get a refund on it, contact Chrysler Customer care 800.853.1403

Coop

Caught the Bug
Check your grounds. Corroded or loose ground connections will cause high resistance and drop the voltage. Check your battery terminals and clean these too.

kttx740

Check your grounds. Corroded or loose ground connections will cause high resistance and drop the voltage. Check your battery terminals and clean these too.

I reset the ECM and checked the grounds. Even ran a new ground wire to the two drive seat ground points.

Next step is to call the dealer on Monday.

The wiper pump issue seems to be resolved however the turn signal and interior light issue remains. I wonder how often the multifunction switch goes bad. :thinking: I just read a thread about replacing it on JKOwners.com, which seems cheaper than an ECM or having a deal diagnose something that isn't under warranty.

Last edited:

kttx740

After saying the hell with it and dealing with a bad turn signal and the inability to turn on my dome lights, my headlight controls went out Friday driving home from the beach. I bit the bullet and bought a new Combination Switch from Auto Zone. Less than 15 minutes later we are back in business. I wish I had done this months ago.

I found a great YouTube video detailing each step of the replacement. The trickiest part was finding the 2 recessed torx screws.

jeeeep

Hooked
After saying the hell with it and dealing with a bad turn signal and the inability to turn on my dome lights, my headlight controls went out Friday driving home from the beach. I bit the bullet and bought a new Combination Switch from Auto Zone. Less than 15 minutes later we are back in business. I wish I had done this months ago.

I found a great YouTube video detailing each step of the replacement. The trickiest part was finding the 2 recessed torx screws.

oh hell...yeah, those damn combination switches.

all the combination switches on every new car that's made today makes me miss the simplicity of the older vehicles and Jeeps.

I have to manually unlock/lock my rear doors because of a damn combination switch in the lower panel of the TPMS... a $900 part. $900!! :naw:

kttx740

oh hell...yeah, those damn combination switches.

all the combination switches on every new car that's made today makes me miss the simplicity of the older vehicles and Jeeps.

I have to manually unlock/lock my rear doors because of a damn combination switch in the lower panel of the TPMS... a $900 part. $900!! :naw:

The turn signal issue hasn't gone away but my my driving and interior lights now work. Small victory I guess.

Top Bottom