Thoughts on sliders (EVO, LOD, RockHard)

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Hey guys. I'm looking for input on sliders. I know the EVO sliders have a great reputation, but I mainly need a step, for my vertically challenged wife. I do, however, want them to hold up on rocks, and be functional off road. In other words, I want good functional rock damage protection, and a good step. Tell me what you've got, and how you've beat on them. Thanks.

Clay

Napalm

I am really a fan on the LOD sliders. They can be used as a step and my favorite when it comes to aftermarket sliders. My second choice would be the EVOs at a custom angle.

Good luck on your search!

benatc1

Hooked
I have the evo sliders with the low angle. they provide a bit of a step for the misses and actually push you a way from rocks a bit more. I haven't beat them hard yet but don't need to to know they will hold up

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys. I'm looking for input on sliders. I know the EVO sliders have a great reputation, but I mainly need a step, for my vertically challenged wife. I do, however, want them to hold up on rocks, and be functional off road. In other words, I want good functional rock damage protection, and a good step. Tell me what you've got, and how you've beat on them. Thanks.

Clay

Of the 3, I have personally installed and tested out the EVO and the LoD and for what you're needing, I might recommend the LoD as it really has more of what I would call a "step". That being said, you can get the EVO with a shallower angle and it can be used as a step as well.

notnalc68

Of the 3, I have personally installed and tested out the EVO and the LoD and for what you're needing, I might recommend the LoD as it really has more of what I would call a "step". That being said, you can get the EVO with a shallower angle and it can be used as a step as well.

So the LOD will hold up to punishment? I've seen them, and the seem well made, and of course, I'm not going to beat them up, like you do, but it like good protection, if I happen to rub them or fall of on a rock. The wife liked our Ouray trip, and wants to take more off-road vacations. I'd did get some use out of the EVO skids on the trip a couple of times, even though I mostly picked good lines, but I was in a JK. This JKU is longer, and I don't want to damage my rockers.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So the LOD will hold up to punishment? I've seen them, and the seem well made, and of course, I'm not going to beat them up, like you do, but it like good protection, if I happen to rub them or fall of on a rock. The wife liked our Ouray trip, and wants to take more off-road vacations. I'd did get some use out of the EVO skids on the trip a couple of times, even though I mostly picked good lines, but I was in a JK. This JKU is longer, and I don't want to damage my rockers.

What I can tell you is that in addition to Shrockworks, PUREJEEP and ARB, I've installed and tested LoD rocker guards and thought they held up well. In fact, I ran them for a long time on two of my JK's before installing EVO. You should be able to see them in action on some of our older videos. That being said, you need to remember that unlike the TJ before which essentially had hockey pucks for body mounts, the JK has true body mounts as in, they're isolators and allow for a LOT more movement. They are in part what makes the JK ride nicer and with less road noise but the problem with this is that ANY frame mounted rocker guard can potentially make contact with the rocker panels as the tub physically moves up and down with big hits. The LoD does sit close enough to the panel that a really hard hit can cause it to make contact but not enough to do anything more than put small dent in it. Or, at least, that's what I had found but then, you'd have to judge for yourself just how hard I play. That's about as honestly as I can put it and with that said, I personally would still recommend the LoD sliders given what you're wanting.

notnalc68

What I can tell you is that in addition to Shrockworks, PUREJEEP and ARB, I've installed and tested LoD rocker guards and thought they held up well. In fact, I ran them for a long time on two of my JK's before installing EVO. You should be able to see them in action on some of our older videos. That being said, you need to remember that unlike the TJ before which essentially had hockey pucks for body mounts, the JK has true body mounts as in, they're isolators and allow for a LOT more movement. They are in part what makes the JK ride nicer and with less road noise but the problem with this is that ANY frame mounted rocker guard can potentially make contact with the rocker panels as the tub physically moves up and down with big hits. The LoD does sit close enough to the panel that a really hard hit can cause it to make contact but not enough to do anything more than put small dent in it. Or, at least, that's what I had found but then, you'd have to judge for yourself just how hard I play. That's about as honestly as I can put it and with that said, I personally would still recommend the LoD sliders given what you're wanting.

That is a great answer. I appreciate it. Your malls are much tougher that mine, lol! Thanks, Eddie!

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
The LoD does sit close enough to the panel that a really hard hit can cause it to make contact but not enough to do anything more than put small dent in it.

Is there room to install an Evo or ps rocker on the tub with the LoD sliders?

notnalc68

I am really a fan on the LOD sliders. They can be used as a step and my favorite when it comes to aftermarket sliders. My second choice would be the EVOs at a custom angle.

Good luck on your search!

Thanks man. I saw a set a couple of weeks ago, & really liked them.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I previously had the EVO sliders, which can hold up to anything I throw at them, but did not make a great step for the kids.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1470778569.948865.jpg

On my current rig, I run the factory Rubicon Hard Rock sliders. They make a good step for the kids, but a bit narrow for adults IMO.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1470778803.379206.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1470778853.085107.jpg

After I get my current rig built up to where I want it, I will be going with either the EVO low angle sliders, LOD sliders, or TNT adventure step sliders. The last two have built in steps and offer true slider capability. The EVO low angle sliders position the top tube to be used as a 'step' and can take a beating. Good luck with your decision and let us know what you decide on!

notnalc68

I previously had the EVO sliders, which can hold up to anything I throw at them, but did not make a great step for the kids.

View attachment 216739

On my current rig, I run the factory Rubicon Hard Rock sliders. They make a good step for the kids, but a bit narrow for adults IMO.

View attachment 216740
View attachment 216741

After I get my current rig built up to where I want it, I will be going with either the EVO low angle sliders, LOD sliders, or TNT adventure step sliders. The last two have built in steps and offer true slider capability. The EVO low angle sliders position the top tube to be used as a 'step' and can take a beating. Good luck with your decision and let us know what you decide on!

I was leaning LOD at the OP, but willing to take input. I want to build this new one right the first time, and not make mistakes. I'll probably go LOD. My first mod will probably be that, as the wife is already asking for a step and GraBars!

Last edited:

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug

This explains why the use of rock skins would be useful. I couldn't figure out the point of them until this explanation

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Is there room to install an Evo or ps rocker on the tub with the LoD sliders?

Yes. But, if it were me, I would just run the LoD sliders without the skins. IF in the future you find a need for skins, you can always unbolt your slders and add them at that time.

notnalc68

I could have sworn that LOD had a pic or video of raising a JK with a forklift on the sliders, but I can't find it on their website now.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I could have sworn that LOD had a pic or video of raising a JK with a forklift on the sliders, but I can't find it on their website now.

Oh, it can be done and it won't effect anything. In fact, I've racked my Jeep from them before. The problem comes from really big hits from playing on really big rocks. In fact, if you run a CB antenna on your bumper and have a coax cable coming out from under your quarter panel, a big enough hit will cause the body to move enough to cut the cable between your bumper. Trust me, I have done it and have seen it happen countless times as well.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a couple of shots of Moby back when he was still running LoD sliders.

main.php

main.php

Top Bottom