Is it illegal to run bumperless in CA?

cartertripp

I'm currently running without a rear bumper because I like the ground clearance and look it gives. It this illegal in California? I guess another option would be to get the EVO bumper plate with d ring mounts but even that doesn't seem much more then the chassis itself. Thoughts?

Last edited:

10frank9

Web Wheeler
The answer is yes. Front and rear. But your more likely to get stopped for narrow fenders or tinted windows.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Well what constitutes a bumper? Does the rear crossbar of the frame count as a bumper?

Good argument. It always refers back to OEM so removing a front or rear plastic POS is considered modification and would therefore constitute a violation. This is Kaliforrnia after all.

cartertripp

Sorry I'm talking about the rear bumper. If we look at what the rear bumper is, it's an embarrassing piece of plastic with some sheet metal attached to it. So we all know that it won't protect much. But according to the law, if I take the stock bumper off, am I in violation?

Last edited:

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Sorry I'm talking about the rear bumper. If we look at what the rear bumper is, it's an embarrassing piece of plastic with some sheet metal attached to it. So we all know that it won't protect much. But according to the law, if I take the stock bumper off, am I in violation?

It's made for the street and on the street you want something that will absorb the energy from the impact of the car that rear ended you instead of transferring through the chassis and giving you whiplash.

Of course off road it's pointless.

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
To be honest I don't really think they will care about the bumper their going to look at like what 10frank9 said and give you a fix it ticket for your fenders or running large tires with no mud flaps trust me Been there. And when you see a jeep you know it's different it's an off-road car and they know that. Iv been running no bumper for a while now and drive my jeep everywhere with cops around and they don't say anything.

Yes.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1470923159.669524.jpg .

That being said. I don't have a rear bumper either.

cartertripp

So what I'm hearing is that it's illegal but cops don't even look for that so might as well take your chances. I agree big tires without flaps or narrow fenders are more visible than being without a rear bumper. I've never had a problem with the cops but it's always been in the back of my head. Good to know[emoji106]

Hammmerhead

Good argument. It always refers back to OEM so removing a front or rear plastic POS is considered modification and would therefore constitute a violation. This is Kaliforrnia after all.

Nevermind the ticket. You remove your rear bumper from your shit and you will die of Cancer out there! You want to visit that end of the country, not live there by golly.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Nevermind the ticket. You remove your rear bumper from your shit and you will die of Cancer out there! You want to visit that end of the country, not live there by golly.

Funny, I hear most people say the same thing about Arkansas, Missouri and Oklahoma. :cheesy:

Stick

It will probably save his life because the bumper is probably known to California to contain materials that cause cancer just like everything else in that state.

Bustedback

The factory bumper is only there for looks, the spare tire sticks out at least four inches beyond the bumper and will take the brunt of the impact...and destroy the tailgate, rear window, hard top...

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Yes.

View attachment 216916 .

That being said. I don't have a rear bumper either.

So two things. First, looks like you finally read the traffic codes since the last guy told you to. And second, were you in a crowd of people when you took that screenshot and didn't want people to hear you take a screenshot so you hit the volume but then were premature on the screenshot and caught the volume sign.

#runonsentence

Top Bottom