issues with my ground connection on my battery

Jayanthony

okay im completly stumped so im turning to my fellow wayalifers for some guidance.. the past week or so my JK has acted like it was having a bad connection with the ground terminal, when i go to start it, its acting like i have a completly dead battery even when i turn my key it doesnt even do the clicking noises. first thought okay i need to tighten my connection. did it. it was fine for a few days.. jump in it for work one moring does the same thing. and if i just barely wiggle the ground wires everything lights back up just like normal. i do have a few lights and a CB running on my battery but i made sure it was all tight and the battery is somewhat new. i dont know if im over looking something simple or what any thoughts from any of yall? hoping i can find the issue before the end of summer run in 2 weeks! thanks in advanced -Jay

Ddays

Hooked
okay im completly stumped so im turning to my fellow wayalifers for some guidance.. the past week or so my JK has acted like it was having a bad connection with the ground terminal, when i go to start it, its acting like i have a completly dead battery even when i turn my key it doesnt even do the clicking noises. first thought okay i need to tighten my connection. did it. it was fine for a few days.. jump in it for work one moring does the same thing. and if i just barely wiggle the ground wires everything lights back up just like normal. i do have a few lights and a CB running on my battery but i made sure it was all tight and the battery is somewhat new. i dont know if im over looking something simple or what any thoughts from any of yall? hoping i can find the issue before the end of summer run in 2 weeks! thanks in advanced -Jay

Do you have any accessory terminals under the nut that tightens the negative terminal to the battery? If you do, that's probably the issue. That nut has a cone shape on the bottom of it that forces the clamp to tighten on the terminal post. If there is something under that nut it will never be able to force the clamp tight enough. Another symptom of this is a bunch of light s to go off all at once on your dash while you're driving. I had my winch wire under that nut & mine did this.

Redrckjeepr

Sometimes mine does that as well. I don't think it's the battery. I can put mine in neutral and it will start right up.

Jayanthony

Do you have any accessory terminals under the nut that tightens the negative terminal to the battery? If you do, that's probably the issue. That nut has a cone shape on the bottom of it that forces the clamp to tighten on the terminal post. If there is something under that nut it will never be able to force the clamp tight enough. Another symptom of this is a bunch of light s to go off all at once on your dash while you're driving. I had my winch wire under that nut & mine did this.

ill definitely have to check it out, now that you mention it my traction control light will flash on and off in the blink of a eye every so often. i really appreciate it!

swampdog

ill definitely have to check it out, now that you mention it my traction control light will flash on and off in the blink of a eye every so often. i really appreciate it!

DDays is exactly right. I had the same issue and after moving the winch ground off the terminal and on an accessory post, the issue was solved immediately. This should put it to bed.

jagrubb99

DDays is exactly right. I had the same issue and after moving the winch ground off the terminal and on an accessory post, the issue was solved immediately. This should put it to bed.

Yes, never hook up ANY accessories to the nut closest to the actual terminal as those are what keep both the positive and negative battery leads tight on the terminals.

Top Bottom