Life expectancy of a Heim Joint?

FuriousDz

So it appears my heim joint at the axle end of my trackbar has failed and is causing front end issues after only a little over a year.
Does this seem premature for a vehicle that has only been wheeled a few times?

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
So it appears my heim joint at the axle end of my trackbar has failed and is causing front end issues after only a little over a year.
Does this seem premature for a vehicle that has only been wheeled a few times?
Heim Joints are not built equal. It depends on the brand and what heim from that company. Companies like FK make great heim joints that will last a very long time if they are properly taken care of. It really depends on the grade of heim you have on your rig.

Another thing is whats on the other end? rubber or another heim joint?

GCM 2

As Chris says, FK spherical rod ends are the one you want if spending $60-90 a piece on heims is not an issue. But even those require upkeep on a regular basis. The really cheap heims require even more frequent upkeep. It's just something that has to be done.

FuriousDz

I believe the other end is not a heim joint, also from what I understand the heim is FK. WHat type of maintenance do Heim's typically require and how often?

Is there a major difference between the johnny joint and the heim?

Thanks

Last edited:

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I believe the other end is not a heim joint, also from what I understand the heim is FK. WHat type of maintenance to Heim's typically require and how often?

Is there a major difference between the johnny joint and the heim?

Thanks

FK has different heims, Cheap ones with no liners and mild steel, to really expensive ones. I've always had good luck with the teflon lines heims, as well the kevlar lined (chromoly). The heims should be cleaned with soap and water. If they are rusted use #0000 steel whool.

If you use a WD40 or any type of lubricant it will destroy the lining.

FuriousDz

FK has different heims, Cheap ones with no liners and mild steel, to really expensive ones. I've always had good luck with the teflon lines heims, as well the kevlar lined (chromoly). The heims should be cleaned with soap and water. If they are rusted use #0000 steel whool.

If you use a WD40 or any type of lubricant it will destroy the lining.

Im assuming I have the cheapies as I was quoted the "cost" price of $16 to replace
Ive never used wd40 or anything like that on them so I guess I can chalk it up to just wear and tear.

Thanks for the info I appreciate it.

Last edited:

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Im assuming I have the cheapies as I quoted the "cost" price of $16.
Ive never used wd40 or anything like that on them so I guess I can chalk it up to just wear and tear.

Thanks for the info I appreciate it.

yeah, i would say so.

http://www.fkrodends.com/
You can find the same FK joints (thread pitch/size etc) but in the higher quality. I would upgrade and get a better one. It should last a long time.

btw Grave Digger runs FK heims :D

Top Bottom