Multiple issues with JKU - sway bar, blue fluid, trail dash

randomhero199

I built a 2014 jku over the past 9 months, specifically to come to Colorado and hit the San Juan mountains for couple weeks.. Jeep has been daily driving it for about 6 months, today is first time it's really been off-road and I've had multiple issues

1) sway bar stopped disconnecting after the first 2 mile section and jeep was turned off... After that I pushed the button on the dash 100x over the course of the day - nothing, and it was ruff as hell with the sway bar!

2) I'm completely underwhelmed with the trail dash 2 so far. Maybe it's a glitch with the jeep but all of the features such as locking the diff, disconnecting sway bar all light up as if they work, but do absolutely nothing - UNLESS it somehow bypasses the lights on dash, which I'm guessing is not the case... My sway bar was "disconnected" driving 60mph down the highway... So far it's been a huge waste of money imo!

3) we stopped on an uphill section and our second vehicle noticed blue fluid leaking from driver rear fender well - appears to be windshield washer fluid but I can't understand how/why it would leaking out above frame rail on rear of the jeep

Hopefully tomorrow we have better luck - were planning on doing most of the trails here in silverton area, but the sway bar is a huge downer! What are the alternative assuming the motor is fried that locks/unlocks the bar? Manually disconnect for rest of the trip (pain in the ass)

Any help appreciated!!

randomhero199

Ok, jeep is at camp, idling in 4Lo, pushing the sway bar button and I can hear the motor "clicking" and can feel the internals moving - put it in drive, roll forward and back and still no light on dash - any ideas ?

Journeyman

I would assume you have a hard top with a rear wiper that sprays windshield wiper fluid out when you rotate the windshield wiper knob.

Journeyman

I don't remember exactly how the stock rubi sway bars links are connected to the the axle. But I'm sure you could just unbolt them from the axle side. You would just have to make sure to secure the link and the sway bay up to the frame some how (zip tie) to keep them from rotating down into axle or steering components.

caminton

I would assume you have a hard top with a rear wiper that sprays windshield wiper fluid out when you rotate the windshield wiper knob.

This is the problem. Probably a leak in the hose somewhere, or you don't have it connected to the hardtop and you tried to spray it.

caminton

I built a 2014 jku over the past 9 months, specifically to come to Colorado and hit the San Juan mountains for couple weeks.. Jeep has been daily driving it for about 6 months, today is first time it's really been off-road and I've had multiple issues

1) sway bar stopped disconnecting after the first 2 mile section and jeep was turned off... After that I pushed the button on the dash 100x over the course of the day - nothing, and it was ruff as hell with the sway bar!

2) I'm completely underwhelmed with the trail dash 2 so far. Maybe it's a glitch with the jeep but all of the features such as locking the diff, disconnecting sway bar all light up as if they work, but do absolutely nothing - UNLESS it somehow bypasses the lights on dash, which I'm guessing is not the case... My sway bar was "disconnected" driving 60mph down the highway... So far it's been a huge waste of money imo!

3) we stopped on an uphill section and our second vehicle noticed blue fluid leaking from driver rear fender well - appears to be windshield washer fluid but I can't understand how/why it would leaking out above frame rail on rear of the jeep

Hopefully tomorrow we have better luck - were planning on doing most of the trails here in silverton area, but the sway bar is a huge downer! What are the alternative assuming the motor is fried that locks/unlocks the bar? Manually disconnect for rest of the trip (pain in the ass)

Any help appreciated!!

I've heard nothing but bad things about the "disconnecting" sway bar on the Rubicons. It's not a true disconnect, it just allows the sway bar to move much more freely. My advice would be to manually disconnect it from the axle and leave it undone until you're done wheeling.

The TrailDash 2 probably doesn't engage the lights on the dash. I would try it with the locker first and see, but that's not the real use of the TrailDash. The performance turnings are the main use for it. Those work, and are noticeable. I wouldn't worry about the "switches" you can do. Also, I'm pretty sure you have to have their EAS to go with it for the switching to work.

OJK12

That sucks to hear but really my sway bar has never given me any issues and most likely its just something simple and nothing to get to worried about. It may just need taken apart and lubed and some good dielectric grease put on the connection. Not a fan of the trail dash at all, I had one on my '12 and was not impressed considering the cost of admission but hopefully you can get it to work. Have you sent Superchips an email yet? They usually are pretty quick to get back with you and get you going.

jeeeep

Hooked

Any help appreciated!!

what kind of obstacles were you going over?

So was your sway bar disconnected when you thought it was connected? is the sway bar light on?

look at your sway bar links, is one of them flipped? or bent? if so, that will keep your sway bar from doing anything.

I wouldn't use the Trail dash to control the electronic sway bar when you already have a switch within reach but that's just me.

randomhero199

Yes, the trail dash allows you to tune and change certain perameters like tire size easily, but they also market is as a dash that can activate all the functions of your jeep, use as switches for lights (after spending $115 more on a proprietary cable) when non of the functions really work .. I'll shoot them an email today.

Sway bar looks totally normal, end links are fine and bar is adjusted about 10* upwards...

We were on a very mellow road - a lot of stock 4x4 trucks going up, no real obstacles or flexing, just very rough. I can't figure it out, my thoughts are whatever mechanism is inside isn't lining back up, thus not allowing it to unlock - which is awesome considering we've unlocked it one other time on flat ground to test it, previous owner didn't even know the feature existed (wife mall crawler) and jeep has 24k miles ... I almost pulled it off and did a Currie bar, after reading countless issues.

Is the Evo manual disconnect the best option to not have this issue again?

Didn't think about rear wiper - makes sense (I'm a dumbass)

caminton

Yes, the trail dash allows you to tune and change certain perameters like tire size easily, but they also market is as a dash that can activate all the functions of your jeep, use as switches for lights (after spending $115 more on a proprietary cable) when non of the functions really work .. I'll shoot them an email today.

Sway bar looks totally normal, end links are fine and bar is adjusted about 10* upwards...

We were on a very mellow road - a lot of stock 4x4 trucks going up, no real obstacles or flexing, just very rough. I can't figure it out, my thoughts are whatever mechanism is inside isn't lining back up, thus not allowing it to unlock - which is awesome considering we've unlocked it one other time on flat ground to test it, previous owner didn't even know the feature existed (wife mall crawler) and jeep has 24k miles ... I almost pulled it off and did a Currie bar, after reading countless issues.

Best bet is to call Superchips, not email. They're bad at answering emails.

Hammmerhead

If you need the front disconnected, don't go over 15mph or so or it will re lock itself. If it does relock, don't hit the button again as it is still on and will disconnect again once you slow way down on level ground. You may have to rock the Jeep some to get it disconnected again depending on its stance. If its staying unlocked at 60mph, you got issues.

randomhero199

If you need the front disconnected, don't go over 15mph or so or it will re lock itself. If it does relock, don't hit the button again as it is still on and will disconnect again once you slow way down on level ground. You may have to rock the Jeep some to get it disconnected again depending on its stance. If its staying unlocked at 60mph, you got issues.

Sorry wasn't clear - it will not unlock... But if I unlock it via trail dash 2 (which does nothing) it'll show it's unlocked running down the highway

Top Bottom