True Beadlocks or Simulated? - SoCal

Charlie Mike

Hi Guys

I have a 2011 JKU Rubicon sitting on stock 17" wheels (with 1.5" spacers) with 35" BFG KM2s. I'm in process of getting the EVO Bolt-on Coilover kit, so I'll need new wheels with 3.5" of backspacing.

My question/dilemma is whether or not I should get true Beadlock wheels or Simulated Beadlocks? True Beadlock wheels are technically not DOT approved. I live in Southern California. What do you guys think? Is it a big deal? Is it not? I love the look of the ATX Slabs as well as the Walkers Evans, but just not sure if I want to roll around on wheels that are not DOT approved. Anyone think I might get into some insurance coverage issues if my wheels are not DOT approved and I get into an accident?

GCM 2

Whatever you do.....never, ever, ever run beadlocks on a daily driver. It's dangerous, it's irresponsible, it's criminal, you will injury not only yourself but ever other car on the road, your jeep may accelerate unexpectedly, you may suddenly without warning lose your steering, and your jeep will catch fire and explode in a horrendous scene captured on cell phone video by ambulance chasing lawyers. However, if you should choose to run beadlocks I would suggest ATX Slabs, it's what all the cool guys are running lately :thumb: so by now you know I have nothing but good things to say about beadlock wheels.

Dictated, but not read...
GCM 2

MTG

Caught the Bug

:cheesy: Best end to a post ever!

Edit: to the OP. If you are worried about it. Go with DOT approved beadlocks. They are more expensive, but they might buy you peace of mind.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Whatever you do.....never, ever, ever run beadlocks on a daily driver. It's dangerous, it's irresponsible, it's criminal, you will injury not only yourself but ever other car on the road, your jeep may accelerate unexpectedly, you may suddenly without warning lose your steering, and your jeep will catch fire and explode in a horrendous scene captured on cell phone video by ambulance chasing lawyers. However, if you should choose to run beadlocks I would suggest ATX Slabs, it's what all the cool guys are running lately :thumb: so by now you know I have nothing but good things to say about beadlock wheels.

GCM 2

:cheesy: *COUGH* *COUGH* :cheesy:

That was awesome my friend. We need to book you Vegas :D

rinkishjk

Lol my phone shows the op post 1969 date.!

This thread is old!
It doesnt say that now and im glad I got a pic of it.

Attachments

• 1357952989239.jpg
    1357952989239.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 387
Last edited:

Jeep4me2

GCM 2

I could tell you were speaking ironically.

Indefatigable

Check to see if your aftermarket wheels are DOT approved anyways. My understanding is most are not.... why? because DOT wheels applied to the ones that were manufactured for sale when the vehicle was sold new. Not when they are replaced with aftermarket. But most aftermarket are DOT compliant. Same but different if you know what I mean? Yes, it can be like splitting hairs. Beadlocks that are manufactured as such are usually good to go DOT compliant ie Hummer beadlocks. DIY weld on, not at all because it is a safety issue with DOT as it states you are not allowed to modify a wheel.

With so many street lock wheels out there now, as long as there is no massive lock ring that reaches in to the hub, authorities will not know the difference. Or care.

This is just my understanding of things. Like your mileage, it may vary.

Anyone remember split ring wheels? I do. They make bead locks look like a safety device...

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
If you are going coil-overs you obviously plan on using your Jeep. Get the bead locks or you will be kicking yourself later. :yup:
Take it from the guy that has built the same Jeep 3 times.

Its expensive to be cheap.

Charlie Mike

"2 weeks of school left...Fuck It!"

Looks like its time to man up and go with the Slabs. They're what I wanted from the beginning, but just wanted to make sure they wouldn't be more trouble than it's worth.

Thanks guys!

GCM 2

"2 weeks of school left...Fuck It!"

Looks like its time to man up and go with the Slabs. They're what I wanted from the beginning, but just wanted to make sure they wouldn't be more trouble than it's worth.

Thanks guys!

Brother, you will not regret going with those :rock:

JUNKYARD DOG

DOT option.... Rock Monsters made by Hutchinson, who is the leader in Military grade bead locks. Two piece rim with internal ring that locks both beads to the rim.

dchew

Caught the Bug
DOT option.... Rock Monsters made by Hutchinson, who is the leader in Military grade bead locks. Two piece rim with internal ring that locks both beads to the rim.

Well that is what I am installing; I really like them. But beware they have 4.5" backspace. The ATX are 3.5". I will probably have to run wheel spacers with my coil overs.

Charlie Mike

Well that is what I am installing; I really like them. But beware they have 4.5" backspace. The ATX are 3.5". I will probably have to run wheel spacers with my coil overs.

Yup. I'm going to need the 3.5 backspacing with the EVO coilovers.

japerry

+1 for beadlocks. Just don't use DIYBEADLOCKS.com .. go get ATX, or TrailReady is good as well...

Or, if you can find them -- staun internal beadlocks have worked really well for me, and are supposedly legal! But they are a pain and half to install and remove ;)

Top Bottom