Shitty paint by the machine at the factory or is this rust blowing up?

jorgelrod

Hooked
I just noticed this on the door hinges of the passenger side front door, it's the only one like this. Is this a just a botched paint spray from the machine or could the hinges be rusting on the inside??
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1471528129.109832.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1471528143.219382.jpg

rogerk93

That looks like it is rusting from under the paint. The only thing I can assume is water is seeping under the coat. After we sent my sister grand Cherokee to have the hood repainted we noticed this happening a few years later then the rust started to chip the paint away. Love the color tho.

mstraw9379

It's galvanic corrosion of the aluminum (I think) hinge. The factory doesn't put a good coat of anything between the door and hinge. The different metals cause this type of corrosion. I've started (by that I mean I've done one hinge) a project to remove hinges, bedline the hinge, prime the back of the hinge and the door where the hinge sits, and put a thin coat of silicone between them. I don't know if this is the best approach, but its what I've decided to do.

0625161144.jpg 0625161207a.jpg 0625161521.jpg

P.S.
make sure you let the bedliner (or whatever you use) dry completely before reinstalling. I left a really good thumbprint on my hinge.

Last edited:

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I've seen several hinges rusting like that.....shitty prep I assume and could be the quality of the metal. What year?

I read somewhere that there was an actual recall from the factory (think it was 07-09 model years). they didn't run the hinges through the wash system to remove all oils etc. from them before painting. Maybe someone else could chime in about this. Sorry not a recall but the dealers say it is covered under warranty.. but I think I would just repaint/ bed line them myself.

Last edited:

Moochie

I've seen several hinges rusting like that.....shitty prep I assume and could be the quality of the metal. What year?

The hinges are aluminum. It's not rust. It's been happening ever since the first JK came off the assembly line.

Big Bad Wolf

All the undersides of the hinges will corode, not rust as they are aluminium and this will creep to the outerside of the hinge making the paint crack and peel. I agree with above, they need removing and sanding/refinishing. Also address the surface below the hinge.

JTLen

2007 model, I've had that on my hinges since new and hasn't "grown". I live in SoCal, so No rain, it isn't rust!.

aldaman

Happened to both my Jeeps. First on my previous '08 JKU and second on my '12 JKU-R, both repaired under warranty from the dealership.

CrazyTrainJK

Caught the Bug
I have two hinges on my 2015 doing the same thing. My dealer said they would remove the hinges and repaint but my 2008 did the same thing. Aluminum to steel without a good coating behind it will do this every time :doh: I think I am just going to pull them off and bed liner them later.

Top Bottom