Debating starting over... (From JK to JKU)

snowcrash

Ok, long time lurker and rare poster here lol.

So here is a little back story. I've had a coupe TJs over the years I built up for daily driving and New England rock crawling and now a 2014 JK Rubicon I picked up for a bargain last year. Since then I added a lift, tires, bumpers, winch and some odds and ends. Nothing too crazy because it was just a mid-stage build and just something to get me out on the rocks. (which I have yet to do because had to leave for 5 months for some family stuff in Florida). Anyway, when the JKs first came out, I wasn't a fan and still in love with my TJ, but the JKs grew on me. Same thing for the JKU. But now I actually like a lifted JKU better than the JK. So much so that I think my 2 door looks kind of odd. I think I jumped the gun getting the 2 door over the 4 door. I was so use to TJs and the two door being kind of "iconic" that I never really thought of a JKU. Esp since I rarely have passengers. Though the extra cargo space would be nice. But after spending 5 months in Florida and seeing some really nice lifted JKUs I have to say once lifted they look absolutely beastly!!!

Kind of sitting on the fence on what to do. I know there is a crap ton of debates over JK vs JKU and don't want to start another one. More looking for peoples opinions on those who might have been in the same boat and if you traded and started over or did you just suck it up and keep the JK? I mean my final build (JK or JKU) will prob be 37" (because MA lift laws suck), maybe a RIPP, and of course all the bells and whistles (suspension, bumpers, armor, winch, bla bla bla). There is a small part of me that thinks a JK stretched might be nice, but I'd have to research stuff like fenders and stuff because like I said, MA Jeep laws suck, but even then I'm kind of jealous of the JKUs esp some of those posted on here.

Another thing to note is I don't plan on being in MA forever. Pretty much just the next few years while my little man goes to high school. After that (or maybe even before) I'm outta here. Debating somewhere where I can hit some red rocks and trails A LOT! Nevada, Utah, Arizona or the like. So my MA final build will probably not be my "final" final build hahaha. It never ends.

Thx!

Red Knight15

Caught the Bug

So here is a little back story. I've had a coupe TJs over the years I built up for daily driving and New England rock crawling and now a 2014 JK Rubicon I picked up for a bargain last year. Since then I added a lift, tires, bumpers, winch and some odds and ends. Nothing too crazy because it was just a mid-stage build and just something to get me out on the rocks. (which I have yet to do because had to leave for 5 months for some family stuff in Florida). Anyway, when the JKs first came out, I wasn't a fan and still in love with my TJ, but the JKs grew on me. Same thing for the JKU. But now I actually like a lifted JKU better than the JK. So much so that I think my 2 door looks kind of odd. I think I jumped the gun getting the 2 door over the 4 door. I was so use to TJs and the two door being kind of "iconic" that I never really thought of a JKU. Esp since I rarely have passengers. Though the extra cargo space would be nice. But after spending 5 months in Florida and seeing some really nice lifted JKUs I have to say once lifted they look absolutely beastly!!!

Kind of sitting on the fence on what to do. I know there is a crap ton of debates over JK vs JKU and don't want to start another one. More looking for peoples opinions on those who might have been in the same boat and if you traded and started over or did you just suck it up and keep the JK? I mean my final build (JK or JKU) will prob be 37" (because MA lift laws suck), maybe a RIPP, and of course all the bells and whistles (suspension, bumpers, armor, winch, bla bla bla). There is a small part of me that thinks a JK stretched might be nice, but I'd have to research stuff like fenders and stuff because like I said, MA Jeep laws suck, but even then I'm kind of jealous of the JKUs esp some of those posted on here.

Another thing to note is I don't plan on being in MA forever. Pretty much just the next few years while my little man goes to high school. After that (or maybe even before) I'm outta here. Debating somewhere where I can hit some red rocks and trails A LOT! Nevada, Utah, Arizona or the like. So my MA final build will probably not be my "final" final build hahaha. It never ends.

Thx!

I was in the same boat, we had a 2door for about 3 years. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1471539174.612876.jpg
Loved the 2 door, but if you need the room like we did you won't regret it. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1471539312.266533.jpg

Ddays

Hooked
I cant see where you could possibly go wrong with the JKU. I've heard several guys with JK's that are second guessing the 2 door, but I've never talked with anyone that says the same about the JKU.
The extra space is great and the ride is considerably smoother with the longer wheel base IMHO. As far as tire size, man, a JKU on 37's is amazingly capable. Sure 40's are awesome but that's another
level of build even over 37's.

The Kraken

Well I've never owned a 2 door Jeep. My first Jeep was my 2015 JKU that I currently have. I love it! It has extra room and longer wheel base which IMHO makes for a smoother ride like Ddays above said. I want one day to go up to a 37 but will need to upgrade my front axle to a D44. But currently run 315/70/17 on it.

I think that you'd enjoy the JKU! Good luck with your decision!

Thx1158

I cant see where you could possibly go wrong with the JKU. I've heard several guys with JK's that are second guessing the 2 door, but I've never talked with anyone that says the same about the JKU.
The extra space is great and the ride is considerably smoother with the longer wheel base IMHO. As far as tire size, man, a JKU on 37's is amazingly capable. Sure 40's are awesome but that's another
level of build even over 37's.

I went from a two door Jk Rubicon to a JKU rubicon and couldn't wait to get back to a two door. Not misconstrue what I'm saying...Jeeps are flat awesome two or four door. We didn't need the space, the JKU wasn't near as nimble on narrow trails, and it sucked down a bit more fuel and preformed a bit less lively due to the added bulk.

If you need the room, then it makes sense. For me...my two door Hard Rock with the back seat out and some intake/exhaust mods was the best choice for my circumstances.

BRaVell

I do agree that the 4 door has a more balanced look. My first bleep was a two door and was great for myself and trails. Being it was my only vehicle it sucked for road trips or doing things with friends. I don't regret getting the four door unless I'm currently on a small trail with lots of twists and turns. But if you are going somewhere with red Rock alot of the videos you see out there are jku with linger wheelbase. So keep the two door and stretch it or change it out

I've always just liked a longer wheelbase. The amount of doors was secondary, and I just got lucky inn 2007 when the JKU came out. Previous to my JKU, I had Jeepsters, Commandos and a Scrambler. More comfy ride, more stable, and if I want to disappear for a weekend I can bring my dog, kids, wife (optional) and all my gear. The CJs, YJs, TJs and JK just don't have the room.

Overland_stormtrooper

Caught the Bug
I can understand as my only other jeep was a 82 cj I loved it but took the back seat out and it never got put back in while I had it .. space wise the jku is for sure a lot better .. when I went I looked at both jk and jku the space in the jk if leaving the rear seat in was less then what the jku had so for me it would have ment once more removing the seat to fit my gear ,problem there is nowadays I don't always run solo as the gf and at times her kiddo's come along as well so not only does that add to overall gear but seats needed as well ..so my choice was one of what kind of space I wanted overall .. even added a rack to make sure I had more than ample space and it gave me a good spot to mount my extra fuel and hi-lift to along with a couple lights

Draconianwinter

My brother owns a jku saraha back country and I own a jk rubicon. His definitely rides smother due to the longer wheelbase, but only gets around 18 mpg on highway where I get 21.5. Both are currently stock and his likely will always be though I think I about have him talked into a 3 inch lift lol. That said the longer wheel base can have many disadvantages like break over angle and tight turns on narrow trails. While they have those disadvantages one advantage is they can go over much steeper angles without flipping over. All things to keep in mind. Either way I don't think you can go wrong. I love my 2door but I would have been just as happy with a 4door.

RUBINOT

Caught the Bug
We've had numerous 2drs over the last 35+ years. This spring we decided we needed the 4dr, several grand children and getting in and out of the back seat was getting to be pretty tough on our older bodies. So we bought a 4dr and have no regrets.

Attachments

• 1471598700916.jpg
    1471598700916.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 106
  • 1471598812456.jpg
    1471598812456.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 103

CarolinaJK

I've definitely contemplated doing the same. Currently I have a 2 door, that I love. However, my girlfriend and I will most likely have our first child in the next 5 or so years. I'd love to have the Jeep "finished" before that time. I just can't imagine putting a child in and out of the back of a 2 door for years.

Thx1158

I think this is really about if you need the room. You can't really go wrong and honestly they are jeeps so the gas milage is kind of a moot point.

Mkp08

Thx!

So I was in the same boat had a TJ loved it and then I switched to a JKU and I've never regretted it since. I've never enjoyed a jeep more then my 2008 JKU I absolutely love it. The only down side is POWER but thats with all jeeps. But if your thinking of a RIPP or something then I highly recommend the JKU you wont regret it one of the best decisions I've ever made. I have a EVO MFG enforcer Pro lift running 37's and love it great set up. Good luck man and if your thinking of moving to hit some trails UTAH is awesome. Good Luck:rock:

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I just made the switch. Honestly, I'd love to have kept the 2 door, but since my wife discovered she likes Jeeping trips, we did it for the extra room.

erje01

I just went the other way myself, I had a 2010 JKU and just got a 2016 JK, I felt like the 4 Dr was overkill for a single guy.

Good luck!!

Top Bottom