Factory tire carrier torque specs

USMC Wrangler

EDIT: Looking for the specs to bolt the carrier to the tailgate

I'll be adding the Rock Hard 4x4 license plate relo to my factory tire carrier today. I'm removing it to (A) chop the factory 3rd brake light off and (B) red loctite the bolts.

I have looked through the torque specs from Project-JK and hit up the interwebs in general. I'd rather not over or under tighten this with the 35's. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
I'll be adding the Rock Hard 4x4 license plate relo to my factory tire carrier today. I'm removing it to (A) chop the factory 3rd brake light off and (B) red loctite the bolts.

I have looked through the torque specs from Project-JK and hit up the interwebs in general. I'd rather not over or under tighten this with the 35's. Thanks in advance!

Wouldn't it be the same as one of the wheels that touch the road? Same lug nuts used right?

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I think USMC wrangler is referring to the bolts that hold the carrier to the jeep. Not the studs and lug nuts that hold the wheel to the carrier.

JKbrick

I think if you tighten the spare to the carrier at 95'# it could pull the studs through the carrier and ruin it

USMC Wrangler

So I found many references like this when a value for an application isn't specified.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1471660333.403820.jpg

I went with the 20 ft lbs and it "felt" right, if you know what I mean. I did loctite the fasteners and will check it often.

JK Pleepleus

I added a plate holder to the center of my spare as well, I just went with a good pressure on my 3/8 ratchet. Probably around 40-50 lbs... :idontknow: but there is 8 of them so they should stay pretty tight anyway...

Top Bottom