Crap...

Stotch

Caught the Bug
Axle Shaft Trouble...

So I knew I had a U-joint seizing up on the front driver's side axle shaft. After reading some write-ups and watching videos I decided to do it myself. All went fine until I actually got to the joint removal. It was so seized up and rusted on I couldn't get it of with a BFH. So I moved on to the hydraulic press. It basically crushed the cap and shattered bearings everywhere. Finally got all the caps off and the joint still won't come out. I think it took enough force to remove the U-joint it actually bent the part of the shaft it fits into... WTF do I do now?

Attachments

• 1471669216930.jpg
    1471669216930.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 298
  • 1471669229977.jpg
    1471669229977.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 295
Last edited:

Big Bad Wolf

Ohhh man that sucks.. By any chance do you have a torch ?

So is the actual "C" bent where the u joint attaches ? It looks like it.

OJK12

I've had this happen on my XJ. We were able to heat the ear up with a torch and bend it back to get the joint (in my case) in. Then we left it cool down completely on its own and everything was fine. How weak is it now? I really can't say but so far so good. That's about all you can really do besides buy a new shaft.

Stotch

Caught the Bug
I have a torch, might have to try that. Really don't want to buy new shafts right now....

Stotch

Caught the Bug
Well, I heat it up and bent it as best I could (not much) then sanded down the lip where the clip rests and got it in... barely. I'll be saving up for new shafts now.

Attachments

• 1471715416593.jpg
    1471715416593.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 220

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I was gonna say sand it all down as much as possible, throw tons of anti seize on it, and then throw it back together. Glad you were able to get it out and back together tho. Deff save up for a new shaft now that you had to heat the hell out of it

Stotch

Caught the Bug
I was gonna say sand it all down as much as possible, throw tons of anti seize on it, and then throw it back together. Glad you were able to get it out and back together tho. Deff save up for a new shaft now that you had to heat the hell out of it

Yeah thanks, that's basically what I ended up doing. All I had on hand was a propane torch, so I really didn't get it crazy hot. Got my eye on some chromolys now :thumb:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Yeah thanks, that's basically what I ended up doing. All I had on hand was a propane torch, so I really didn't get it crazy hot. Got my eye on some chromolys now :thumb:

Propane is still hot enough to weaken the metal as it gets to around 400*. Yea just keep your eye out for a used oem one or on some aftermarket

Big Bad Wolf

Well at least you are up and running again!

I agree, its very possible the heat could have messed with the heat treat.. A good excuse for an upgrade I say! This being said, you could leave the other side alone.. Although it would be nice to know if the u-joint is seized so bad on the other side... It most likely is.

Stotch

Caught the Bug
Propane is still hot enough to weaken the metal as it gets to around 400*. Yea just keep your eye out for a used oem one or on some aftermarket

Good point, I'll do that. Thanks!

Well at least you are up and running again!

I agree, its very possible the heat could have messed with the heat treat.. A good excuse for an upgrade I say! This being said, you could leave the other side alone.. Although it would be nice to know if the u-joint is seized so bad on the other side... It most likely is.

No kidding! Yeah, the OCD side of me wants to change out both at the same time, but after all that trouble with the driver's side I think I'll leave the passenger's side alone. It isn't binding up like the other one was. I'll just replace both shafts later.

Top Bottom