Jk 3.8 engine noise??????

jeeeep

Hooked
check your manifold for cracks, mine sounded a little like that and I found both manifolds had large cracks in them

dillard09

My passenger side manifold cracked between the 2 cats. It was definitely a ticking sound.
Might be able to get it replaced for free under the federal emissions warranty if it is the piece that has the catalytic converter. The warranty is for 8 yrs or 80,000 miles.
I had mine replaced for free.

Jeeper125

I will pull the heat shied and take a look im hoping that is the issue, seems like a lot of jks have that issue. Thanks for all the help

Jeeper125

So I pulled the heat shields just now and there are no cracks on the exhausts

I'm just hoping it's not something major

Any thoughts on what could be causing this noise?

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Sounds like an exhaust leak of some type. You can buy a stethoscope from an auto parts store and try to find the leak.

WJCO

Meme King
Anywhere where there is a seam or bolts. Also check where the manifold connects to the head. A stethoscope should find it rather quickly if it is an exhaust leak. Check for broken manifold bolts too.

TRLJNKY

Wouldnt hurt to try it. Very well could help id an exhaust leak and clean your valves at the same time :) Stuff smokes like a freight train lol

JeepJeep75

Would doing a sea foam treatment expose any leaks because of all the smoke it produces.

I can't imagine that sea foam is good for any vehicle that still has a decent catalytic converter. As expensive as the cats are and all, it can't be any good for them.

jeeeep

Hooked
I can't imagine that sea foam is good for any vehicle that still has a decent catalytic converter. As expensive as the cats are and all, it can't be any good for them.
after i drained my tank because i had water in the fuel i used 2 cans of seafoam with 5 gals of gas and had no issues, that was 5 months ago and I haven't had any issues

Top Bottom