messed up the door hinge paint...

christov11

Sooooo got her naked this weekend...

when putting the doors back on we scratched one of the hinges with the PIN thats supposed to go in there...

female end got scratched by the male end on the outside.

anywayyyyyyyyyys. its not crazy but wanted to know what you guys thoguht of just taking a paint pen to it? im not going to buff that thing and have to repaint and blend the paint into the fenders etc... were talking very minor but I also dont want it showing back up after 6 months. any ideas to hide some small but deep scratches or nics int he paint?

Sorry if this was touched on in the past but site works funky when on the office computer...its one of "those days"

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I would try the pen like hinrichs said. Mine are all chipped up from the tires so I just don't worry about it.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I used a paint pen/brush on my '09 Bright Silver JKUR hinges and never liked the way it came out. Plus, the hinges constantly got chipped due to gravel flying up off of the tires. On my 2015 I will likely just plastic-dip the hinges so its easy to touch up but still keeps the rust at bay.

Last edited:

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I'm going to do what hinrichs did. The previous owner did the same thing to the JKU I just bought.

christov11

nice! thanks guys!

hoping itll stand up to the winters we get here... i guess ill just put a sh*tload on there!

christov11

I used a paint pen/brush on my '09 Bright Silver JKUR hinges and never liked the way it came out. Plus, the hinges constantly got chipped due to gravel flying up off of the tires. On my 2015 I will likely just plastic-dip the hinges so its easy to touch up be still keeps the rust at bay.

thats not a bad idea!

although i dont think plastidip would hold up to a knock like it got from the door pin.

those F*****ing doors were heavier than I thought. at leas heavier than they used to be(comparing to a YJ HAHA)

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
All of my door hinges were rusting from the NE weather and chips when I bought my JKU back in 2010. I removing the hinges, busted them down to bare metal, primed and painted them black. Six years down the road, they are chipped and starting to rust a bit. I should have plastic dipped them after I painted them. That will be a project for down the road.

christov11

All of my door hinges were rusting from the NE weather and chips when I bought my JKU back in 2010. I removing the hinges, busted them down to bare metal, primed and painted them black. Six years down the road, they are chipped and starting to rust a bit. I should have plastic dipped them after I painted them. That will be a project for down the road.

thats pretty good, 6 years!

think i might go this route when I find the time...

USMC Wrangler

My OE paint touch up pen/brush thing just arrived, but due to the size of my chips I am looking at other options. Anyone ever try this on large/down to the metal chips?

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1471979893.622434.jpg

Rottenbelly

I bedined the hinges on my first jeep. Haven't gotten around to doing it on my new jeep.
But it held up great on my old one.

Ddays

Hooked
thats not a bad idea!

although i dont think plastidip would hold up to a knock like it got from the door pin.

those F*****ing doors were heavier than I thought. at leas heavier than they used to be(comparing to a YJ HAHA)

Next time you're at Home Depot or Lowes pick one of these up - they keep them by the plywood. Makes taking the doors off a lot easier...

Panel Carrier.jpg

christov11

Next time you're at Home Depot or Lowes pick one of these up - they keep them by the plywood. Makes taking the doors off a lot easier...

View attachment 219147

thanks budd!

we messed the hinges up trying to align the damn pins in the holes... drove me crazy for 3 minutes...it was getting a little dark out which definately helped us LOL

jeeeep

Hooked

View attachment 219147

beat me to it... that's what I use too.

I have a small towel I put around it just in case, I also use it as a ramp/lever to help put the tires on when i take them off to work on the jeep :thumb:

Top Bottom