Best way to remove steel plates welded to frame for sliders

Hammmerhead

Sawzall, Grinder, Plasma, Torch? Or should I just cut the tubes and keep the plates? Im wanting to go to a beefier EVO slider, but they went full weld around the plates other than the top. These plates are pretty big as well.

thanks guys

Last edited:

Hammmerhead

I didn't know how tedious the job would be or how careful I needed to be about getting in the frame with a cutoff. I will get a pic in the morning.

Many thanks

WJCO

Meme King
I didn't know how tedious the job would be or how careful I needed to be about getting in the frame with a cutoff. I will get a pic in the morning.

Many thanks

Cutting welds can really suck. Especially in areas with little access. You may be better cutting the sliders off completely and then you can get at the plates better if you decide to cut them off.

Draconianwinter

I would definitely go with the grinder and cutoff wheel method. But that is because I would want to go the rout least likely to cut into the frame

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I usually use a torch, just to cut the welds, lay it up flush against the frame. Use a grinder to clean it up. Easy peasy

Hammmerhead

Maybe you guys can explain the rear EVO long arm bracket. I'm thinking they may have just welded the tube to it? Theses sliders have taken some pretty good licks, but don't know the brand. Have had a couple close calls where a steeper angle would have helped, that's why I am considering a different set

349FB3B8-0103-4D6A-8C14-7FD9BD2E4EEB.jpg

7C8C8B49-85F5-428B-8845-EFDA30CB07A1.jpg

217C7498-1224-44C5-9087-DE47D71EB820.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
Maybe you guys can explain the rear EVO long arm bracket. I'm thinking they may have just welded the tube to it? Theses sliders have taken some pretty good licks, but don't know the brand. Have had a couple close calls where a steeper angle would have helped, that's why I am considering a different set

Looks like they still welded the sliders to the frame, however with those pics, you may be better using a Sawzall and just chopping off the sliders. It's gonna be hard getting in there and you don't want to mess with the control arm bracket.

Hammmerhead

Looks like they still welded the sliders to the frame, however with those pics, you may be better using a Sawzall and just chopping off the sliders. It's gonna be hard getting in there and you don't want to mess with the control arm bracket.

I agree. Pretty sure the rears will have to be cut. Anyone know how far back the rear support is for EVO's new sliders are or where it lines up with the EVO brackets?

A picture of EVOs new slider and where they hit the frame would be cool to find.

WJCO

Meme King
I agree. Pretty sure the rears will have to be cut. Anyone know how far back the rear support is for EVO's new sliders are or where it lines up with the EVO brackets?

A picture of EVOs new slider and where they hit the frame would be cool to find.

Hopefully someone will have pics. But if not, you could always weld on spacers that are the same thickness as your control arm brackets. The sliders may stick out .250 further or so, but they'll be even on the frame.

shortyokc

in my experience a air arc is probably your best and fastest option for gouging out the welds if you have access to one, then just clean up with a grinder. make sure you wear some hearing protection or you'll be deaf by the time your done.

Top Bottom